Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Freep's new look

What do people think of the new version of the Freep? I like the new look. It's a lot cleaner, loads faster and the larger text is easier on the eyes. I also appreciate that they are finally cleaning up the cesspool that was their comment section. From the number of blocked comments, the Free Press staff is finally putting a stop to the abusive behavior of the village idiots who spent their every waking hour filling the comment sections. Time will tell whether the Freep can keep it up but they've set the bar for other Detroit media web sites.

I like the more sober look. I didnt like the Freaky sounding/looking Freep banner.

I like the new look. The website isn't too clutter as it was in the past. I liked reading the story on how the Pistons went from 479 million to 360 million according to Forbes. No wonder K. Davidson was in a hurry to sell the team....last year. Gores is looking at the new value and wondering if the Davidson crew is trying to jack thim like they tried to on Ilitch.

I like it, organized better with a left to right theme

The electronic version of the paper also has a new look [[www.freep.com/e) and its incredible. The pages load very fast and render in a split second. I couldnt stand using the old version, but this one actually performs well enough to leaf through quickly.

My complaint with the Free Press online is the same that I have with this site. The print should be darker so it contrasts with the background and is more easily read. The Freep makes it worse with blue print.

Now let's keep this format for awhile. Don't go Facebook on us and make changes every three months. Quit doing major overhauls and give the readership a chance to soak it in and live with it. We're creatures of habit. If the Freep wants to do it- make it good and keep it strong & steady.

lilpup Guest

Stupid question - I see a link for an article but when I click on it it goes to a log-in page. Is that because I'm not a home subscriber? If so, why don't they put a message saying it's restricted access?

The new site is an improvement over the old, cluttered page, but its still so amateurish.

Having trouble with my browser crashing/quiting every time I go to freep.com

Anybody else having this problem?

Running a Safari browser version 4.1.3 on a MacBook

Thanks

It looks like I can't migrate another another page if there is 2 pages for a story. I use Firefox but I have discovered that you can go to page 2 using IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Deuce View Post
    Having trouble with my browser crashing/quiting every time I go to freep.com

Anybody else having this problem?

Running a Safari browser version 4.1.3 on a MacBook

Thanks
    I have the exact same problem using Safari 4.1.3 on my I MAC. My new Mac Book Pro with Safari 5.0.3 works fine.

gdogslim Guest

Better layout, overall, the Freep seemed like an older used local term.
    I'm sure they will get a lot of older people re-visiting their web site,
    with the light blue tiny font for the article and bold black headlines, [[not.)
    Whats with the weather box on the top right first thing.
    Use larger black font for the articles, maybe bold blue or black for headlines.
    Maybe think about highlighting more columnists in the sections, some people do follow them.

who makes the decisions regarding web-design? do they have a team? did they do focus groups?

the decisions are made somewhere at Gannett, which owns the free press. if you look at other Gannett newspaper sites, you'll find they look just like freep.