Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Gardening- For those who love to grow.

If you enjoy gardening this thread is for you.

Stories, experiences, sharing info, seeds, cuttings, and anything else.

You asked for it, I've got questions. My lot has an inch or two of dirt over clay. There is standing water on flower beds right now. I need suggestions for plants that can handle this. I have eastern and southern exposures to deal with, and some partial shade under the old olive tree.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackenzie68 View Post
    You asked for it, I've got questions. My lot has an inch or two of dirt over clay. There is standing water on flower beds right now. I need suggestions for plants that can handle this. I have eastern and southern exposures to deal with, and some partial shade under the old olive tree.

Thanks in advance.
    It will take some time, but digging in organic materials like compost or peat moss will make a world of difference in the drainage. In the meantime choose plants that tolerate "wet feet".

anyone know if the garden claw is worth investing in?

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    Never tried it. But the Weed Popper is a lifesaver, esp on the lower back.

The garden claw works only in fairly loose soil. Never did well for me.

My hubby uses the weed popper on those really tough weeds with roots to China, like Canadian thistle.

This is a great idea for a thread.

Directions to make your own rain barrel:

http://www.cityofbremerton.com/conte...ainbarrel.html

Save money on water for your garden, God is handing it out for free.

Russian Sage is reputed to grow in clay.
    Grows to around 3 feet, has a purple flowers along the stem. Very pretty to establish itself, after a couple of years. Needs full sun.

Other suggestions: refurbishing your growing areas with sand, compost and dirt. Rent a tiller for the project.

Question for you Detroiters: What kind of grass do y'all usually have in your yards? In Texas there is still a large abundance of St. Augustine, but because of our hot summers &, for the moment, drought-like conditions, the trend has been towards Bermuda & Zoysia. Occasionally put down some winter rye to provide some cover during the colder months; yeah, I realize the ground cover up there is probably white & a few inches thick. We deal with caliche clay which is like asphalt in the summers & can make it tough for some yards to thrive.

Well, I will need lots of help getting started over at the Bohemian National Home...Jams, what is your going rate for consulting?!

mopar

Up here in michigan we grow Kentucky blue for sun, various hybrid bluerasses. fescue for shade, bent for golf course greens. Although most of our grasses are mixes of the cool weather grasses.

Do you guys still have a cinch bug problem. It used to drive my father-in-law in Houston nuts.
    Last edited by pkbroch; April-01-09 at 01:05 PM. Reason: addressed to wrong person

I realize the ground cover up there is probably white & a few inches thick.
    Nope. We have grass and it is actually starting to turn green.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    mopar

Up here in michigan we grow Kentucky blue for sun, various hybrid bluerasses. fescue for shade, bent for golf course greens. Although most of our grasses are mixes of the cool weather grasses.

Do you guys still have a cinch bug problem. It used to drive my father-in-law in Houston nuts.
    I'd heard about bluegrasses before & wondered if the more northern states grew it.
    Yep, we have cinch bugs but they seem to be more prevalent in St. Augustine. I have Bermuda in the backyard & rarely see them there.
    One huge pest problem are fire ants; if you're not careful they'll fill the yard with mounds in a matter of days it seems. They swarm over your feet quickly & waste no time biting the living hell of out of you. I don't know if they've actually migrated that far north though.

I'm still learning about that white stuff since we rarely get it this far south. We just always assumed y'all are constantly bombarded with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Well, I will need lots of help getting started over at the Bohemian National Home...Jams, what is your going rate for consulting?!
    Well, we'll start with the composter. I have more than enough seeds of cukes, tomatos, lettuce, herbs, for my little space. I don't have any good windows for inside seeding, so we might work a tradeoff there.

And, of course, after a good day's work, beer is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    I bought the garden claw, [[tiller?), last year at Meijer for about $12. I looked in every store for months to find one, but I'm more than happy with the quality of it. It also converts to 12" hand use.

Now if only I didn't have a black thumb.

Finally! The soil along the fence was just right to plant the peas today.

My favorite season is now official.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming, please,

I put in some Russian sage last fall, just dumb luck, I think. I didn't know it would take a while to settle when I planted it. Now that I think of it, the rule of perennials would apply.

I'll get a bag or two of sand to mix with compost and the ever present clay to start a new bed, thanks.

I used the garden claw happily in better soil but I don't think it would do well in clay. Too heavy to mix well.

I'm planning some small raised beds but I neglected to mention that this is not really my yard so I don't want to go as far as renting a tiller.

Will daffodils divide themselves here like in warmer climates?

Dump sand on your garden and turn the soil over. After a few years, it will be worked in.

Always have a ditch one spade deep somewhere in your garden. Collect your garbage and dump it in the ditch. Cover the garbage with a couple of spades of dirt. Start a new ditch when that one fills. It makes more sense than grinding garbage in your sink to make it go into the River.

We like a front tiller roto-tiller because it digs deeper and can be maneuvered better. If you have time to spade your garden, it is better exercize.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming, please,

I put in some Russian sage last fall, just dumb luck, I think. I didn't know it would take a while to settle when I planted it. Now that I think of it, the rule of perennials would apply.

I'll get a bag or two of sand to mix with compost and the ever present clay to start a new bed, thanks.

I used the garden claw happily in better soil but I don't think it would do well in clay. Too heavy to mix well.

I'm planning some small raised beds but I neglected to mention that this is not really my yard so I don't want to go as far as renting a tiller.

Will daffodils divide themselves here like in warmer climates?
    I thought about raised beds as another solution for you while I was doing some clean-up in the yard today. Hopefully Cub will step in here, he has had a lot of recent experience with them.

And yes, daffodils will naturalize and spread here. I really noticed this year how sparce in this first season. At my last home, I had planted them 10-12 years ago and they had spread so much.

Thanks in advance.
    Try the website listed below for a very good list of plants who like wet feet

Can't talk now, too busy reading! Thanks all!

Sumas,
    You've mentioned you sell herbs at a local weekend market. If you wouldn't mind , PM me with the location. I'm restructuring my back yard, mostly with seeds, but some established plants will be required, I would rather buy from you than my usual sources if you have the things I want.

A cool event today. While, still early, a small plot by my garage I have planned for Roma tomatos and basil was dry enough to do some digging and add some of the compost that cooked all winter. Gave me a reason to turn the pile, and raise the soil level in that spot.

For us cheapies:
    http://www.wintersown.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Sumas,
    You've mentioned you sell herbs at a local weekend market. If you wouldn't mind , PM me with the location. I'm restructuring my back yard, mostly with seeds, but some established plants will be required, I would rather buy from you than my usual sources if you have the things I want.

A cool event today. While, still early, a small plot by my garage I have planned for Roma tomatos and basil was dry enough to do some digging and add some of the compost that cooked all winter. Gave me a reason to turn the pile, and raise the soil level in that spot.
    I haven't figured out how to PM yet. My computer skills are limited. So I'll list here. I have a table at West Park Market in Grosse Pointe Park. I am located in front of Grace Church on Kercheval and Lakepointe. My main business is herbs, but I do stock perennials and specialty veggies. I also take special orders.

WPM's opening day is May 16 with extended hours [[9-3) due to a food festival. The market is small, 3to 4 blocks has live entertainment and is very dog friendly. I hope to keep my prices the same as last year but I don't know yet. Last year my plants were $2.50 ea for a three inch pot or 2 for $4.50, I also have a flat [[18 ct) discount but I forget at the moment what it is. This will be my third year doing the Saturday market. What inspired me to start was I went to check out the market four years ago and vendors were selling the same size plants for $6.00. I was outraged. I knew I could do much better. Of course, I am not popular with other vendors that carry similiar plants because they had to drop prices or look like whores.

Doing this has been so much fun. Spending a day talking about plants, giving and getting advice is a blast. Gardeners are such friendly people.

If I can hold my pricing with the same margin, anyone who tells me they are a Dyer can buy wth a greater discount. I'll update people in May.

Thanks Jams

For people who missed it, Home Depot has a 4 day only [[4/2 thru 4/5sale) on 2CF bags of Cypress mulch for $1.48. Limit 20 bags. Outstanding savings.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast