Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking for High Res Aerial Photo of Downtown Detroit

I'm looking for a high-resolution aerial photo of downtown Detroit. Specifically, I need to clearly see the triangular area bordered by Woodward/Michigan Ave/Washington Ave. I've left a voice mail for our resident Aerial Photographer flybydon, but didn't see anything on his site that really focused on that area. Needs to be post-BC restoration.

Thanks!

Google maps?

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Google maps?
    I need it to be high resolution - it is going to be printed at a large scale.

http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us

Not sure if an aerial from here or a drg would work for what you need.

highjinx Guest

I am not familiar with what post BC restoration means...give me a clue...like early 1900's? If so I may be able to help!

highjinx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by highjinx View Post
    I am not familiar with what post BC restoration means...give me a clue...like early 1900's? If so I may be able to help!

Sorry, I mean post Book-Cadillac restoration.

JL....try some of the shots from this site...or contact Don for others...I'm pretty sure they are high res...

Aerial Photography by Don Coles, Great Lakes Aerial Photos Lighthouses

JL...sorry I tagged the wrong page...but if you scroll down to the bottom of that page, you can choose other types of pictures than lighthouses :-)

I have two aerials looking down on this triangular zone from 200' feet up and 450' feet. The lower angle shows all the buildings within this view, but obviously emphasizes less of their volume and footprint and more of their elevation characteristics. The Book Cadillac is however in the early stages of renovation. The one higher up was taken from a helicopter. It looks directly at the triangular area from the North, but the Book Cadillac is somewhat hidden by Washington Square Apartments. It's a steeper perspective, gives a better sense of massing, but still makes it difficult to identify the footprints of buildings. Views looking straight down that are very high-res are difficult to find from the casual to professional photographer. Our cameras can't achieve the type of parallel projection that you get from a camera up in space.

I'm actually not certain what type of image you are looking for. An "aerial photo" could really be anything taken 100' feet or higher looking down.

FYI, google's highest resolution is at 20 feet. Printed, this scale would translate to 1" = 26'-6" If you own photoshop, you could use one the automate features to assemble your map. The final product at 100% resolution would fit the entire triangular area on 60" x 42" board without the images being blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    FYI, google's highest resolution is at 20 feet. Printed, this scale would translate to 1" = 26'-6" If you own photoshop, you could use one the automate features to assemble your map. The final product at 100% resolution would fit the entire triangular area on 60" x 42" board without the images being blurry.
    Thanks for the info wolverine, great for future reference, didjever try printing on this format?

Search on Bing Maps then switch to Bird's eye views.

You can change the view to view from the 4 points of the compass. For example...

Name:  2011-01-27_080204.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  67.6 KB

There is also a street view level, like Google's Street view, but not nearly as extensive.

Thanks all! Got what I need for now. Ended up assembling as wolverine described, but from Bing's bird-eye-view. Has great size and resolution.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; January-27-11 at 08:31 AM.

I think he means Book Cadillac.