Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default MCS Preservation Society on Facebook - Train station news maybe?

The Michigan Central Station Preservation Society page on Facebook claims that there is going to be significant news in a press release in about a week.

I have friended the MCS page on Facebook and have seen two postings about the 'news' in question today.

I'm not certain that a cut & paste will work, but here's trying: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mic...y/188060348704

"very big and positive news"

"don't want to make anyone excited or disappointed"

I'm shaking at the bit....

No doubt long term Detroiters know better than to get too excited about 'good news' regarding the city's significant buildings, but lately Detroit has been on a roll, so maybe something positive is up at MCS?

In this video from last month [[around 22:30), Bing says that news is coming soon on MCS as well.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/26092771/index.html

Yes, I remember that a press release was coming in "about a week" a month ago. Hopefully, we might hear something but I doubt many are holding their breath.

I heard Michael Jackson and Don Barden are going to buy it, turn it into an indoor amuesement park, and put in a House of Blues and Cheesecake Factory!

No DP, it's going to be a BW3...they were going to announce their "for sure" location about a year ago this has to be it! They'll be sharing space will be Shields. The Kales people were being greedy landlords...so they had to get out of there. The rest of the building is going to be Slows II

Lolololol we'll see

I heard they found enough dynamite. Yay!

Hey, if they decide to restore MCS, maybe we could dig up Marilyn Monroe and restore her to her former glory, too.
    I mean, they are both equally dead...

god i love this thread so far

Could it become the new patent headquarters....? Government money may woek faster

There were rumblings that Phil Cooley has been working with Moroun on trying to get a portion of the building [[i.e. the waiting room) reopened, possibly as an art gallery. But that was nearly a year ago and hadn't heard anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    god i love this thread so far
    Mcsdetroitfriend.... talking about the MCS is sort of like dragging a $100 bill thru a trailer park.... you'd be surprised what sticks to it....

BuildingsOfDetroit... that's an interesting idea... I bet Camilo Jose Vargara would love that idea... It might make for an interesting beginning... but then what....
    Last edited by Gistok; January-25-11 at 08:36 PM.

My wild guess: MCS will be the new court building for either Wayne County or Detroit's district court

There have been rumblings for years that Wayne County Circuit Court and Detroit are looking to build a new court house.

That place would make an excellent court house. It's also just a quick shot down Michigan Ave. from where the new police HQ will be.

Artds.... that would be an interesting idea... they should take Detroit's Federal Court with them... that way they could surround the complex with Jersey Barriers, and keep from closing down streets around the current Fed Courthouse whenever there are terrorist alerts [[code orange!).

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    There were rumblings that Phil Cooley has been working with Moroun on trying to get a portion of the building [[i.e. the waiting room) reopened, possibly as an art gallery. But that was nearly a year ago and hadn't heard anything new.
    This is actually not that new of an idea before the place turned into a total craphole it was used by Wayne State and CCS for that purpose [[around 1990). They had a giant Farmer Jack smiling at folks through the windows.

oh i know, in the year and a half i've been on here i've gotten used to it.

BOD That was definitely a good meeting but nothing happened.

As far as the wayne state thing, they sure left a lot of their shit and supplies behind.

And whoever did that art installation years ago, the one with the murals on the wall needs to come back and get their shit

I was at one of the Corktown residents meetings and there was something about fixing up roosevelt park.

NorthEndere Guest

Wouldn't it be wild if they announced they were going to resuse the actual train station section as **gasp** the Amtrak stop for Detroit? You know, cancelling what they have planned up in New Center?

A man can dream. lol

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    Wouldn't it be wild if they announced they were going to resuse the actual train station section as **gasp** the Amtrak stop for Detroit? You know, cancelling what they have planned up in New Center?

A man can dream. lol
    If they can fix up the train station and find another use for it, trains will eventually come back.

It's silly things like Facebook, playing word games and using teasers that seriously detract from one's credibility.

If there's an announcement MAKE THE FREAKING ANNOUNCEMENT, don't make a series of comments and other references that there might be an announcement someday.

If there isn't, STFU.

NorthEndere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    If they can fix up the train station and find another use for it, trains will eventually come back.
    Honestly, what is that even supposed to mean? That doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    Honestly, what is that even supposed to mean? That doesn't make any sense.
    Of course it does.

If the place were turned into a viable business such as a restaurant or shops or even offices of some kind, there would be more incentive for Amtrak to have trains stop there again.

There's no reason for Amtrak to stop at a vacant hulk.

Mr. Moroun's activities have been severely wounded of late in the courts and now in the new governor's State of the State announcement in support of the rival DRIC project. Moroun's unmaintained eyesore, combined with this combative scorn and neglect, greatly damaged his credibility.

I have long argued that he could pull off a PR coup by cleaning up and re-purposing the MCD. He potentially could make a profit too but if not he would more than recover any costs by maintaining his monopoly of the surface crossing of the straits.

He seems to have calculated he could keep his monopoly without dealing with MCD and, when he had Kwame and others in his camp/pocket, he had good cover. No violations were written against his blighted and unsecured property and attention and action were stalled by shell games, like Kwame's financially unrealistic suggestion that it be re-purposed as a police HQ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast