Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Best places in Detroit to buy & try wines?

My friend asked me about where she could go in Detroit for wine tasting parties, but I'm not really the one to ask about. Maybe the forum could provide some suggestions?

Motor City Wine on the second floor of the Grand Trunk Pub.

Cost Plus Wine in Eastern Market is also good.

You can go to my dad's house and ask him to unscrew one of his giant bottles of Fortissimo. You will be hammered in no time and singing Tony Bennet songs.

Gibbs Wines, located in the shopping center next to St John Hospital, is just barely in Detroit. It has a great selection, and if that friendly, big guy still works there -- I think his name is Larry -- he'll take care of you.

I second the motion, too, for Motor City Wine on Woodward downtown. Support that place!

Yes, MCW is always a great bet. He doesn't really carry any super expensive bottles so you know you're not going to pay too much. I've never had a bad experience. Their bubbly is great, too.

Fourth vote for Motor City Wine. That place is great.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    You can go to my dad's house and ask him to unscrew one of his giant bottles of Fortissimo. You will be hammered in no time and singing Tony Bennet songs.
    Directions, please!

Bommarito's Bakery in St. Clair Shores has an amazing wine selection and decent prices as well. Definitely worth searching out if you're on the east side. Also their baked goods are the shit!

California Wine Grapes Co. Inc. at 7250 Fort St.

This place is pretty cool. It's a winery that also sells winemaking supplies. Every time I've gone they've been friendly and gave me the nickel tour. They sell their wine by the half gallon fairly cheap too. I'm no afficionado, but I like it. I'm not sure if they hold tasting parties, but they've always let me come in the back and taste the wine and will tell me about them.

Probably the worst name ever for a business though.

Holiday Market in Royal Oak has regular wine tastings. They have a huge range of wines to offer with bountiful small plates. The pours are small [[as are most tastings) but unlimited as is the food. They are usually $25/per person and the tastings are built around different regions. Reservations only.

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    Directions, please!
    Rosedale. Vague enough for you? You will know his house because it was built in the 1930's. Knock on the door three times, not two, not four. When the door answers, the password is 'Sinatra'. Pay no attention to the small black man with the glass eye wearing gold chains and singing "Hello Detroit".

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Gibbs Wines, located in the shopping center next to St John Hospital, is just barely in Detroit. It has a great selection, and if that friendly, big guy still works there -- I think his name is Larry -- he'll take care of you.

I second the motion, too, for Motor City Wine on Woodward downtown. Support that place!
    I've been going to Larry's wine tastings for for 25 years. Don't let Larry's size and grumpyness scare you off. He know's more about wine than anyone I know. I've learned more about wine from Larry and his team than anywhere else. I haven't been to Motor City Wine yet but I've heard its great and you can actually taste the wine on premises.

Mikeinmotown: When I described Larry as friendly, I wasn't being sarcastic. I was a Gibbs customer for years when they were on Gratiot, and I always enjoyed talking to Larry and getting his advice. If I lived on the east side, I'd still be a customer. I highly reccomend Gibbs, and Big Larry.