Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default BBC Series will feature Detroit, looking for stories and people

Dear all,

The BBC is producing Generation Earth, a primetime landmark series for broadcast on our flagship channel BBC1 and on the Discovery Channel. The series is a spectacular exploration of the changing human landscapes of our planet and the achievements of our Generation. This series will be shown worldwide and will reflect the best BBC production values to celebrate human ingenuity and creativity.
    We want to include Detroit's story on the film. The fall and the rise of the new Detroit. Thanks to good initiatives, Detroit could find an opportunity to reinvent itself as a new city in a very unique way. People in Detroit are very inspirational in the way they love their city and are being very active to regenerate it facing lots of challenges.
    I would be very grateful to receive ideas to feature in the film. I'd love to hear from those of you involved in urban farming or other projects. Also it'd be very interesting to find people who have lived in Detroit through the decay. Does anybody live in a neighbourhood where there are ruined residential homes? We want to show what the decay fells for people who have to live around it. I guess we want to start with the decay and then develop the story into the hope for the future. Many thanks in anticipation and I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Best regards Almudena

I know recently some of Detroit's politicians and media travelled to Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania to gets some idea's on how to re-invent Detroit . It wasn't that long ago [[20 years ? ) that Pittsburgh was in a similar position with their steel business being the majority of their jobs , now the steel business is the least business that has jobs in their revival . .

Hello and thank you very much for your suggestion. I think I didn't make clear that we want to portrait Detroit IN A POSITIVE LIGHT. There are lots of good things already going on and I'd like to find out about them. I fear many people think we are just going to do another depressing view of Detroit. That is not the case, the old buildings are only the beginning of the story and then we move on to the new ideas to regenerate the city. I've realised that many people in Detroit are perhaps disappointed with the media and that's why the response is not very good. Well, we are different ! And are looking for the good. Any leads would be most welcome.

georgia street community gardens [[GSCC) they have a web site. It's the best. It shows what Detroit & suburbs can do in a collective sense. It' s about kids, neighborhood and positive attitudes. Side note, I adore the goat and chickens.

Need to get over for that now famous hug from Mark!

I am Eastside so you get a slanted view from me, try looking at EEV, or Villages of Detroit, or Village of Fairview, inc . Creekside or GP Historic Society.

Go to Mariner's park

I find Detroit and it's citizens alive and well. Wouldn't live anywhere else now.

Hope you are serious, a nice story about this city? Might be nice! Sumas

Any leads would be most welcome.
    Have you been to this site? They always track down interesting people and stories.

http://www.detroitblog.org/

Garcia-Parrado - you say "And are looking for the good."

I must chime in here with Sumas about GSCC. This is where you will find the good you're looking for! There are pictures showing what was there - and when you see it now...What A Difference!

I'm sure all the other places mentioned are worthy as well; however, I am partial to Georgia Street since I lived in the area from 1955 till 1969. I remember what it was back then and I can realize what hard work it has been for The Collective [[with Mark Covington and those on the Board) to accomplish what they have so far.

Go there and you won't be disappointed. GSCC is where you will find your good.

Thanks Erie, like endorsements. What Mark has done is truely incredible. I am hard to impress and he has me doing Wow. Say it again Wow!!!!!

Wish I could do more for the collective. Mom is in home hospice now and I am wilting under the strain. Did buy ingrediants for the Valentine cookie bake but can't leave Mom alone now. Maybe Saturday I can deliver there.

Detroit has so many great people, it is hard to choose from. Even the street people have interesting stories.

maybe something about theatre bizarre. its in a neighborhood that mainly has burn down and/or shot up houses. but they [[we) have built a crazy halloween, side show, 1930s feeling place that takes up an entire block now

Have not been allowed to post. From doom to glory follow Westin Book Cadillac.

Default Thank you for all the great leads

Thank you so much for all these brilliants leads and sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. Being an international series means that I have to look after many places.
    I'm going to follow all these leads, it is certainly the kind of stories we are looking for ! So far a number of exciting stories are coming up, I have to say that the new Detroit that is emerging little by little thanks to people's hard work is my kind of city. I just go to a boring supermarket to get my veggies. I can't wait to come over and see it all !

Welcome to Detroit Almudena. A couple of others that come to mind are the North Cass Community Union, who put on the wonderful annual Dally in the Alley and the Church of the Messiah Housing Corporation that has been responsible for housing revitalization and new low and moderate income housing construction surrounding their church near Belle Isle at E. Grand Blvd and Lafayette. Can't find a website for them.

Quoted by Sumas: "Detroit has so many great people, it is hard to choose from. Even the street people have interesting stories."

They do indeed. Sometimes I wish I feel I should interview people and get their stories. I believe that "just your everyday" people have incredible stories to tell. We all hear the stories about those in everyday news reports. But very seldom do we get to know about our regular people. They have tons to tell.

And to Garcia-Parrado - If you go to the Garden during growing season, you will be so happy! Mark gave me a fresh picked bunch of basil along with some other produce. I cooked up a storm with that basil and still had enough to dry and bottle for future use. Mark is an amazing man of Detroit! Can ya tell I'm a fan of his?