Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

For me, 20 games is a good measurement. Lots of people say 40 games. If this team 6-14 after 20 games we have some major issues. I don't think it will be long before we see Will Rhymes back in Toledo. And man that mid-late relief is horrendous. Time for Coke to come back to the pen and bring up Turner or Oliver....oops...looks like I'm panicking.

Yeah, can't panic yet, but to be fair [[as I'm willing too) they are facing teams that are on a hot streak, and they are most decidedly cold... I knew the pitching staff would be suspect-- But where are the middle order bats? Outside of Verlander and Scherzer, it's the hitting that is supposed to be this teams great equalizer, and it has been a little too quiet these past 2 home games..... And I'm still mad at Maggs for that lame first pitch popup with the bases loaded on Saturday-- Especially when KCs pitcher was having some control issues at that point.......... Ah well, I'm just glad baseball's back, and I hope things get on track [[soon!)-- But the Rangers are next so no easy task there!

Brad Penny might suck but his lady is posing in Playboy

I'd buy that for a dollar....

Good thing for the Tigers to come out with a W today. This gives them a chance for their first series win of 2011 against a hot team. They are still three under 500 early in the season and need to string a little few nice wins to just get back to par. I'm going to pay extra attention to how they fare coming up on their first real road trip of the new season. The first 30 games, unless your the Twins or Angels, are a very good barometer of how the team compares. And I'm just barely touching on "the numbers" here. Love it!

Nice baseball for the Tigers, more so their pitching. Nice for them to string a couple together. Now Oakland....hate staying up for these West coast games...but worth it!

Hopefully my fears of Coke being assigned to the bullpen are over. Pitched awesome last night. But God do we need our bats to come alive...4 hits?!?

Pitching is hanging in there-- Even hiccups like Verlander's outing on Saturday wasn't a disaster-- Having a split in a four game set away is Ok, besides Oakland has a good starting rotation. The bats, though, the bats-- Gotta have more output, boys......

Oh man.... Some health issues already for some of the veterans. First Magglio- You can tell his ankle is still bothering him, his recent swings lack that "pretty" it usually has. Jim has been pulling him out sooner, rather than later it seems. Now Martinez with a groin pull-- They say he's day to day, but I had one of those once-- And I felt hobbled by it for like a month. It also sounds like the Tiger's only really planned on having Martinez as the one and only backup to Avila, and with a groin injury I don't expect Martinez will be wanting to be squatting behind that plate, and if we are to believe Mario and Rod, the team has Don Kelly as the emergency catcher-- Not sure I see that happening. I expect Inge will end up dusting off his chest protector, and Kelly will be at third....

Whoops... Lost the rest of my above post, when I went for an edit-- Was pondering the catcher situation, and if the Tigers would be knocking on Toledo's door-- Sure enough, enter Santos for today's game, and a good win too.

At least Martinez is only going on the 15 day....as a former hockey goalie, I can tell you those groin injuries really hamper your performance and man are they painful.

I'm anxious to see the progression of Jackson and Rhymes....they have to start hitting for this team to have a chance. Also would like to see Penny win his next....err...first.

Right now, Boesch, Cabby, and Avila are carrying our offense, and Avila really only had one big game where he got all those RBIs...so really just Boesch and Cabby.

I think a sweep this weekend would really be a boost...but for some reason the Tigers love stopping teams losing streaks.

I just hope they can get the game in tonight, and not try to squeeze in a double-header tomorrow-- Statistically those almost always end up being splits, which would kill our small chance at a sweep!

Oh, yuck. Nice batch of heavy rain heading out of Chicago, will probably just clip Detroit around game time-- Looks like a night for the tarp...

We were at tonight's game and so glad the rain stayed light. Verlander pitched well and it was nice to see a game with some offense!! Hope tomorrow's game is as much fun to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by ct4438 View Post
    We were at tonight's game and so glad the rain stayed light. Verlander pitched well and it was nice to see a game with some offense!! Hope tomorrow's game is as much fun to watch!
    Yeah, so much for my forecast-- Glad they got the game in-- And with a nice touch of offense as well. I'm hoping that the Sox are skidding as much as they seem too-- Nothing against them, but ya gotta hammer them when they're down. Another concern: Those middle bats of theirs-- Beasts! I'm a little concerned about Penny's softer stuff in regards to them. If its homer-time for them again, let them be solo shots like last night!

Don't look now but our team is actually a mere 1.5 games out of first place in the division. Those surprising Indians have finally managed to level off to their usual bout of mediocrity and our weekend sweep of the White Sox has propelled us upwards a bit. Four game winning streaks can do wonders and better yet, their pitching has been super super solid. Giving up 5 runs in four games has been a nice pick me up.

What a great trade Dombrowski pulled off to get Jackson, Coke, Scherzer, and Schlereth.
    Jackson finally looks like he's seeing the ball better and doesn't looked lost at the plate. I think he'll be fine.
    You get two starting pitchers who have been pitching really well. Coke had the bad start against Seattle, but he's given up around 2 runs in his other two starts. It's early but, Scherzer looks like he he could be headed for that all-star game.

Ugh. Things are playing to a sour note again. First team to finish 5 over .500 wins the Central....

Leyland has to take some of the blame for last night's collapse. Scherzer was in trouble and tiring with a 5-2 lead in 7th and relievers warmed up. Leyland went out, talked to him and then left him in. Next pitch was a 3 run homer. oops

Default 2011 Tigers Talk

Why did the original thread get closed?

Victor Martinez is on fire right now. If only Magglio could get half-way back to his old self we would be in good shape. Leyland drops him to 6th in the order for all of one game and then he's back in the 3 spot clearing the bases [[by hitting into double plays) so Cabrera comes up with nobody on or leads off the next inning.

Headline later today - Twins sweep hail, Tigers sweep Twins!

I agree....I think keeping Boesch in the 3 spot and Mag's back up in 6 makes more sense, especially right now...I really don't think Mag's is near 100% but here we are almost 1/4 through the season and he's barely batting .170.

I like Mags a lot, but he needs to produce very soon.

Nice way to gut out a win today-- Despite some sloppy pitching. Martinez is burning it up, and Peralta showing some timely sparks as well. Dammit, I'm getting excited again!

Note to the rest of the AL: The BoSox are for real, and until they [[meaning those lefty bats of theirs) cool off, I suggest that you forget about following your pitching rotations, if it means starting a right-hander-- Stick your best lefties out there, even if you have to raid your pen or minor leaguers....If you hope to keep the game close....

25. Default

This thread was inadvertently closed. Sorry, it is again open for discussion.The new and old threads have been merged.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast