Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default If you had to pick a street car, which one ?

A
    Name:  1080-ferrario.png
Views: 851
Size:  96.5 KB

B
    Name:  Detroit_4move02.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  39.7 KB

C
    Name:  Olympic_Line_3_sm.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  43.3 KB

D
    Name:  Portland_Streetcar_side_crop_sm3.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  47.9 KB

Personally I like B from a practabilty stand point

I like B too. I like the fact that piggybacking a semi gives it extra mobility...

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I like B too. I like the fact that piggybacking a semi gives it extra mobility...
    It doesn't seem like the drivers girlfriend sitting on his lap would be as dangerous in B.

Modern: C. Classic: A

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Modern: C. Classic: A
    So you would choose a modernized classic ?

Quote Originally Posted by muskie1 View Post
    It doesn't seem like the drivers girlfriend sitting on his lap would be as dangerous in B.
    canuckle chuckle!!!

Given my druthers, maybe a Peter Witt car.....

Choose for what purpose? To be using in Detroit now? If that is the case then I choose "C". It reminds me of the trams in England - very efficient and easy to use, clean and comfy enough for a short trip.

From an aesthetic perspective, I like the nostalgia of the older one on the flat bed - love that old trolley look. Reminds me of Mr. Roger's "Trolley". hehehe

D looks the best to me.. make it happen.. oh, there's a TRU meeting today 5:30 p.m., 3408 Woodward south of Mack.. updates on the transit legislation/plans..

A. Kenosha runs these on thier streets currently.

Maybe we can have Cadillac build the Woodward Streetcar and gussie it up with 20" chrome wheels, leather seats, and a bose stereo system? Now that would be Detroit!
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-25-11 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Add link to Keno

I would definitely pick a Streetcar named Desire

I'd choose the one that's going where I'm going.

I like A, but C and D look like they hold more people.

I'd go with D. On a side note, doesn't DDOT still house the newer trolleys they used for all of a year? I thought I saw a graveyard full of them at their HQ.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Genesyxx View Post
    I'd go with D. On a side note, doesn't DDOT still house the newer trolleys they used for all of a year? I thought I saw a graveyard full of them at their HQ.
    I'm not sure if they're still back there, I can't remember seeing them recently. Anyway, those things are buses with fancy bodywork. Rubber tires, diesel engines.

There's something to be said for the classic ones, in my opinion. Nostalgia and all that, I guess. I saw they were still using some ancient streetcars, like from the 20's or something, in downtown San Francisco, and almost rode one just for fun.

I'd pick "A" Those PCC's a beautiful.

Am I the only one who noticed that "B" was taken on Washington Blvd. Downtown? The Statler is in the background as well as the Grand Park Centre and the Fyfe Building on the other side of the park...

esp1986....is that one of those little red ones that used to go around downtown?

I like D. Seems like it has capacity for a good amount of passengers.

None of the above.

Not embarrassed to be from the Motor City nor wishing it was a different city somewhere nor thinking automotive and related industries were or are evil.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about ,I am confused as to why someone would even say that without underlining reasons.

Detroit was one of the driving forces of protecting and building this country she went through a rough time just as others have that is nothing to be embarrassed about.

The question was pretty simple and there was a purpose behind it, the embarrassing part would be to stand up and say that Detroit cannot be the driving force once again ,I believe she can and will be again.But that may just be me.

I saw they were still using some ancient streetcars, like from the 20's or something, in downtown San Francisco, and almost rode one just for fun.
    they arent STILL using them, they only recently went back into service. they run in a loop down near the embarcadero on the F-line. they are from several different eras and are all in authentic liveries from different cities. you can ride them with a standard BART ticket...

http://www.streetcar.org/streetcars/fleet.html

We rode a New Orleans streetcar when we were kids. I think it was on the Canal Street line.

One feature I remember was the seat backs which could be flipped forward or backward. The seat itself stayed stationary. You could ride facing either direction. I think they designed it that way so it didn't have to turn around at the end of the line. A conductor [[or whatever he was called) would flip all the seatbacks at the end of the line for the trip back.

I like A the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast