Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Worlds Best Emerging Market

You may be totally surprised by this writers analysis. I neither recommend nor condemn him but applaud him for his article.

http://blog.ljpr.com/

His answer was Detroit.

There was a article in Sunday's Free Press that said Ford is expected to pay out $240 million in bonuses in March that will likely find its way into the local economy. That can't hurt!

citylover Guest

After the guvners state of the state address I listened to the various news analysts and one repeating theme was how Mi has dealt with money woes that other states have not.

We have been hearing doom and gloom but as a state we have made significant adjustments.Other states, NJ,TX CA to name 3 have not and problems are in store for them. This might put us in a better position as an emerging mkt

Wow....

Does this confirm that Comerica Banks officers really are clueless!!

I have to know what an ETF is or I can't understand the article. These guys and their TLAs [[ three letter acronyms). But seriously, what the hell is an ETF?

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    I have to know what an ETF is or I can't understand the article. These guys and their TLAs [[ three letter acronyms). But seriously, what the hell is an ETF?
    An exchange traded fund. An ETF is composed of a basket of stocks, bonds, commodities, etc that are traded on the stock market.

They're popular since most of them are low cost ways of owning various equities.

So if i were to build a Detroit ETF, I might take stock from the 50 top companies based in Detroit and then someone could buy that ETF and easily own a stake in all those companies for a low price.
    Last edited by yupislyr; January-25-11 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks yupislyr. Now I can go back and read the article. ETFs sound like mutual funds.

This article is very misleading. If a company goes bankrupted and they re-issue new stock that stock should not be counted towards his return on a "Detroit ETF".

What should be counted is his return is the price of "Old GM" in 2009 and "Old GM" in 2010 which is $0. Not "Old GM" in 2009 and "New GM" in 2010. The same goes for other bankrupted companies.

People get this confused a lot with K-mart when it was at a couple cents and then was re-issued and went up to $100. That was "Old K-mart" and "New K-mart". Two totally different companies and totally different stocks.

Saw last night that Dealbreaker - one of the more prominent Wall St blogs picked up on the "Detroit emerging market" story. Maybe it will generate some spin off interest in investing here coming from NY.

http://dealbreaker.com/