Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Just saw in the Freep that Carleton was on the list of schools slated for closure. Evidently a new elementary school will be build on the Denby campus.

Anyone want to buy one of those big round sinks?

Those big round sinks are GONE! A group of Class of '63 graduates toured the school a few months ago, and took photos in one of the restrooms...there is a much smaller more modern sink there...still round, but nothing like those big old granite ones. I have a number of photos that were taken on the tour, but can't post them because I don't have permission of the people in the photos. Biggest shocker was the fact that the libary had NO books...only computers.

Carleton school....wow. I didn't go there but......
    The church I grew up in, when they moved from the Blvd to the eastside, they used Carelton for church services for a year or two, and the church softball team used the ball diamonds for practice for years and years. This time span would've been from 1952 thru 1967 that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Those big round sinks are GONE! A group of Class of '63 graduates toured the school a few months ago, and took photos in one of the restrooms...there is a much smaller more modern sink there...still round, but nothing like those big old granite ones. I have a number of photos that were taken on the tour, but can't post them because I don't have permission of the people in the photos. Biggest shocker was the fact that the libary had NO books...only computers.
    Wow! I hadn't looked at this thread in eons and had almost missed this. Great to hear from you again. So, no more baths in the sinks, eh?

Any hope of you getting permission - or perhaps photo-shopping some of those pictures to block out the people? It sure would be great to see some of those pictures.

Interesting about the library. I never took a picture of the library during my last visit to the school in 2001 - when I took the pictures that I posted here on the forums several months ago - but I am certain that there were still books there then, so they only came out sometime within the last 9 years.

I don't have a clue how to go about blurring the faces of the people in the photos. Not even really sure how to post the photos as a group...the ones that don't have identifiable people in them. Don't want to do anything illegal, especially since one of the people in the photos is a prominent Detroit lawyer.

It looks like Carleton will be spared, it is no longer on the list of schools to be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    It looks like Carleton will be spared, it is no longer on the list of schools to be closed.
    I saw that, too. I am wondering if they are still going to build the new school on the grounds of Denby? If so, how many elementary schools can they have in the vicinity? Carlton, Burbank, Heilmann, Columbus...... and they are closing Osborn.
    Doesn't seem like they need to build a new one.
    Thoughts?

Well, just when you thought the old girl was safe...

The latest DPS plan has Carleton closing in 2011. I assume that means at the end of the current school year?

I wish I could go there when they close and get a couple of those old Fire Drill and Air Raid Drill signs. I'd love to walk those halls one more time, I wasn't able to go back to Detroit for the tour the reunior committee took of the school, so the photos I have will have to do. Still can't believe the library shelves were empty...or at least 95% empty of books.

Glad to see this thread has come back to life!

I think I remember the Air Raid Drill Signs - were those the ones in the basement, and were they black and yellow? Or maybe I'm just remembering yellow/black stripes on the walls that helped make the walls more visible in the darkened conditions. I know there were the other signs that said "Fallout Shelter" - by the stairwells, right? And I remember in the basement they had room numbers painted on the walls as well - not sure if those were "just" to designate where specific classes were to gather or if they actually were geographically directly under the rooms they represented.

I absolutely don't remember any "Fire Drill signs." Wonder if anyone has any pictures of those?!

Default Passing of Miss Conflitti

Sorry I'm late to this thread. Miss Conflitti passed away July 6, 2011. Never married. I was involved in the '63 reunion effort mentioned by grumpyoldlady [[by the way I'm sure no one minds if you post photos showing faces---I can double check with everyone involved if you need that assurance), and when we did a survey of our favorite Carleton teacher, Miss Conflitti was the overwhelming favorite. A guest book with memories is available temporarily at cremationmichigan.com

Miss Conflitti was my mom's teacher and she was still at Carleton when I attended in '76-'81. I never had her as a teacher but met her when my mom would go there to walk with us home from school.

If you could get the OK to share the photos from those pictured, it would make me feel better. I don't want to do anything to upset anyone. Once I know that nobody objects, I'll have to figure out how the heck to get the pictures from my computer to this site.

I wonder if Mr. Ignasiak attended the funeral [[if there was one). As for favorite teachers, mine were Mrs. Knapp in Library, and Mrs. Blixberg. And of course Miss Miller...the music teacher. Actually I liked most of my teachers. I felt sorry for Miss Lemke and always tried to be extra nice to her. My least favorite was Mrs. Boyle [[had her for 1st grade substitute while Mrs. Hahn was on medical leave, and then again at Arthur Jr. High for Algebra). Didn't find out until years later that it wasn't coffee in that thermos.
    Last edited by grumpyoldlady; July-18-11 at 10:21 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5