Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The French house untouched for 100 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12214885

Kinda makes one wonder how long this would have lasted in this country?

DetroitPole Guest

Why would the municipality allow that to happen? They could have torn that down that outdated monstrosity to make a temporary park, a liquor store, an IHOP, or an empty field with a flagpole in it.
    All those wonderful things in there that could have been auctioned off or scrapped, too.
    Also, I realize the French countryside is a vastly different place than Detroit [[though 300 years ago this technically was French countryside) but that place literally wouldn't last overnight here, without dogs and armed guards patrolling the building.
    I like the USA, but in many ways I find European values and way of life to be very preferable to the way we do things here.

Right, an IHOP or else a little old french lady to cook up a few crêpes and homemade jam in the house; as is. I vote for the european on that one too!

I will have to find the link but there pictures where somebody matched the WW2 bombed out buildings next to the recent ones after they were rebuilt,considering entire blocks were bombed out at a time its amazing how they were reconstructed as they were or very close.

Few buildings in the world have remained unaltered as long as Britain's Hardwick Hall one of England's great country houses.... famous among British schoolchildren as "Hardwick Hall... more glass than wall..."

It was built in the 1590s by the regal Bess of Hardwick [[Countess of Shrewsbury), the richest woman in all of England after Queen Elizabeth I. Since her family preferred the house on her other major estate... the magnificent Chatsworth... they left Hardwick alone for the past 420 years.... and it remains unaltered since her time. Even the furnishings inventory of the 1590s shows that the contents are all still there.

http://gouk.about.com/od/englandtrav...ithardwick.htm

It's hard to imagine something like this happening in the U.S. In the past couple of decades we've developed a greater appreciation for historic preservation, but that was completely missing in the 1950s and 60s, when demolishing beautiful old buildings was widespread and done in the name of "progress.". If you've ever seen historic photos of Detroit this will be obvious. Take the old city hall for example. It was a gorgeous building and never should have been torn down just to be replaced with something generic.