Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Fire in Delray

Default Fire in Delray

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/ja...detr-j22.shtml

A fire Thursday morning destroyed 3 houses in Delray.

There was a car crash on the Southfield Freeway this morning.

Baby its cold outside.

There was'nt anything unique about this fire, they happen frequently in the city. Until they raze all those vacant structures its likely to be a on going problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    There was'nt anything unique about this fire, they happen frequently in the city. Until they raze all those vacant structures its likely to be a on going problem.
    We don't have enough money to demolish dangerous houses like this because we are spending millions tearing down Cass Tech, Tiger Stadium, the Lafayette building, and every building that Mike Ilitch wants to turn into a parking lot.

Perhaps when Bobby Ferguson gets assigned a little "community service" he could raze these dangerous eyesores.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    We don't have enough money to demolish dangerous houses like this because we are spending millions tearing down Cass Tech, Tiger Stadium, the Lafayette building, and every building that Mike Ilitch wants to turn into a parking lot.
    Thank you..........

In the early 70's as the DWS Dept was completing it's first huge expansions, Delray was being demolished one street at a time moving north/eastward away from the Rouge River. We often witnessed multiple fires as homes were vacated and left to arsonists. The fires made the press on a regular basis and were dubbed the 'Fires of Delray'. They often became a spectator event as people shuffled outside to watch flames roaring skyward. We knew the homes were intentionally left vacant and untended because it saved money on 'total' demolition costs. In fact, some business people involved said as much, off the record.

1Kielson Drive, I know it must be sad to watch once proud Delray whither away [[Delray hosted the Worlds fair in 1889).

Delray has a lot of simularities with Hamtramck. The only difference is that Hamtramck remained politically independent from Detroit and could determine its own future. If not for that ... you would have had to put your bar somewhere in the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    In the early 70's as the DWS Dept was completing it's first huge expansions, Delray was being demolished one street at a time moving north/eastward away from the Rouge River. We often witnessed multiple fires as homes were vacated and left to arsonists. The fires made the press on a regular basis and were dubbed the 'Fires of Delray'. They often became a spectator event as people shuffled outside to watch flames roaring skyward. We knew the homes were intentionally left vacant and untended because it saved money on 'total' demolition costs. In fact, some business people involved said as much, off the record.
    I wonder if the new bridge that is supposed be built through Delray will have the same methods used to what is left My wife and I went for a ride today north on Fort past Dragoon, then back to Livernois east to Jefferson, then south back towards Ecorse. What a depressing ride. From a once thriving area to what looks like a a war was fought there.

Not exactly true. There was a fire just a few hundred yards away...on Leigh St....on the same morning...and DFD is currently working a dwelling fire on Melville, just two streets over. Sure looks like there is a fire bug in that neighborhood.

LOL are they vacant structures ? Anyway, I have a idea, why not use low risk jail inmates to tear down these structures ? I've seen them used to clean up highways and state parks. I know this has probably been considered before and its just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    1Kielson Drive, I know it must be sad to watch once proud Delray whither away [[Delray hosted the Worlds fair in 1889).

Delray has a lot of simularities with Hamtramck. The only difference is that Hamtramck remained politically independent from Detroit and could determine its own future. If not for that ... you would have had to put your bar somewhere in the suburbs.
    List of expositions [[I don't see Detroit): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world's_fairs

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    List of expositions [[I don't see Detroit): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world's_fairs
    It wasn't the World's Fair, it was the Detroit International Exposition and Fair. Here is the background: http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...r-to-Remember/

LOL are they vacant structures ? Anyway, I have a idea, why not use low risk jail inmates to tear down these structures ? I've seen them used to clean up highways and state parks. I know this has probably been considered before and its just a thought.
    If you would have bothered to read the article at the beginning of the thread, you would know they are not all abandoned structures. People have been burned out of their homes and you are "LOL" How classy. Hope you have a nice day.

Because they don't pay kickbacks to the city pols the way demolition contractors do.

There was an arsonist operating in Delray in the late 80's and early 90's who was suspected of being the source of many Delray fires. Maybe he's back in the area again.

It turned out that a friend of mine knew the arson suspect's father, I even met the father once, I had to pick him up at his house in Delray to go to a concert. Supposedly he was in total denial of the charges against his son. I can't recall if the suspect ever was convicted or even if he went to trial for the arsons.

John : I meant no disrespect when I used LOL [[ last on line ) . Sorry if I offended you, have a nice day.

I just read this article. It says one of the victims of the fire actually saw the fire in the abandoned house, and 'thought it would go out'. What a moron. If there was a fire in the house next door to me, I would do whatever I could to put it out. Now he has no home. Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    [[Delray hosted the Worlds fair in 1889).
    Not even close. The 1889 World's Fair was in Paris. The Eiffel Tower was built for the fair.