Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Beer

Bell's Double IPA Hopslam.

Good stuff right there.

I have an uncle that is still a Stroh man, but he's in his 80s, so I cut him some slack. When I lived in Lafayette Park in the '80s, the smell from the Stroh brewery on Gratiot would drift over the area. What year did that brewery shut down, 1985?

Here is Charlotte, NC some bars have Bell's of Comstock, Michigan on draft. In summer I would often ask for Bell's Oberon.

How is the Atwater Brewery doing financially? I see Atwater beers on sale at Total Wines here.

Jolly Pumpkin I heard is a good place to go up in TC. So is Short's and Right Brain.

My issue with Oberon [[personal favorite) is that you really have to trust your local party store people. Since Oberon became wildly popular store owners have stocked up on the stuff. This causes a problem because they sell last year's stuff the following season which seems to take away from the tasty goodness from that great beer.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Beer mavens call the style of beer typified by Coors, Bud Light, Miller High Life, etc., as an "American Light Lager". I offered some to a friend from Australia and he said, "thanks, but I don't drink American beer; it's too much like making love in a canoe.".

American ADJUNCT Lager

because they use cheap ingredients such as corn and rice

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I had a Grand Rapids brewed "Founders" beer last fall when I was in GR. I asked for a Michigan brewed beer in my effort to support the local economy. Funny thing was, I stumped the bartender with my request; we had to examine the label by light of my iphone to figure it out.
    Always a good and safe bet with Founders!!

To follow up Goose, not just corn and rice, but the syrupie extract of corn and rice. 55 gallon drums of rice extract weigh in over 400 pounds. They're are the chief ingredients of your Buds, Labatts, Heinekens, etc. Also the primary source of hangovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    To follow up Goose, not just corn and rice, but the syrupie extract of corn and rice. 55 gallon drums of rice extract weigh in over 400 pounds. They're are the chief ingredients of your Buds, Labatts, Heinekens, etc. Also the primary source of hangovers.
    primary source of no flavor or full taste.

To Al Publican. 85 sounds about right for Strohs closing down, That was around the time when my friends and I started to drink beer and were mad they shut down.
    Muskie, I agree I need to try homebrewing again.My Brother in Law is a Beer Snob and a former home brewer. He tries to set me in the right direction. I like to play farmer in the summer.I tried growing hops with the intention of using them to brew beer. Maybe I will try again.

Default Baseline, what is "TC"?...

Baseline, what is "TC"? Traverse City? Traffic Jam? Bell's Oberon is sold on draft in Charlotte, NC but by autumn no more. It must be a seasonal beer.
    Last edited by Al Publican; January-24-11 at 03:47 AM. Reason: missed inserting question

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Baseline, what is "TC"? Traverse City? Traffic Jam? Bell's Oberon is sold on draft in Charlotte, NC but by autumn no more. It must be a seasonal beer.
    Traverse city has a nice little brewing community. You have jolly pumpkin, mackinaw brewing, right brain, north peak and short's isn't too far away. Plus, much like the grapes that grow there, they are now a nice location for hop growers!

Great thread. Beer is my passion! I brew it, drink it, travel for it etc. etc.

Al Pub -- TC does in fact = Traverse City.

Yes, Oberon is a seasonal and, to me at least, doesn't taste the same when held over for sale the following season.

What can we, as supporters of Michigan beer, do to increase the 2% market share? Next time I see a guy in the store buying a 6 pack of Bud, I'm going to ask him if he's tried Detroit Lager. Its a smooth crisp lager that tastes way better than Bud, but is similar in style. Sure, it might cost a tad more, but I'll point out the benefits and remind him that Bud is now foreign owned. If your local store or pub is not carrying Michigan brews, ask them to.

Every time I sit in a restaurant, I always ask what Michigan beers they have wither on tap or in bottle. Word of mouth is the only thing that will bump that 2% in the right direction.

I am partial to Sherwood Brewing Company on Hayes just north of Hall in Shelby Twp. They dont distribute at all so you have to go to see what I think is the best in the business around here. Dragonmead and Kuhnhenn's on Mound in Warren are great as well.

Check out the movie Beer Wars to see what the big guys do to try and keep the overall market share of craft brewers in the single digits. They take a look at 4 different brewers [[Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head being one of them) and ask for their insights on the struggles they have trying to compete with MillerCoors/Inbev. It's available on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Detromb21 View Post
    Every time I sit in a restaurant, I always ask what Michigan beers they have wither on tap or in bottle. Word of mouth is the only thing that will bump that 2% in the right direction.

I am partial to Sherwood Brewing Company on Hayes just north of Hall in Shelby Twp. They dont distribute at all so you have to go to see what I think is the best in the business around here. Dragonmead and Kuhnhenn's on Mound in Warren are great as well.

Check out the movie Beer Wars to see what the big guys do to try and keep the overall market share of craft brewers in the single digits. They take a look at 4 different brewers [[Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head being one of them) and ask for their insights on the struggles they have trying to compete with MillerCoors/Inbev. It's available on Netflix.
    I just might do that. I heard they did an episode of a beer that is made with people's saliva. As in they split in the brew in order to use their enzymes to break down the proteins.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Good post and I specifically agree with these points. Basically decades of advertising by Big Beer has conditioned us to believe that Bud Light is a beer [[which, to me, is up to argument) and that beer should taste like that.

Beer mavens call the style of beer typified by Coors, Bud Light, Miller High Life, etc., as an "American Light Lager". I offered some to a friend from Australia and he said, "thanks, but I don't drink American beer; it's too much like making love in a canoe."

This mystified me, so I asked him what he meant, and in a rather angry voice he explained "It's effing close to water!"

Now that I know what real beer is, I have to agree
    Your australian friend was regurgitating a very old monty python joke. [[much funnier when they do it.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    It must be a seasonal beer.
    It is. Bell's Winter White is good too, though.

Calling all Michigan beer lovers......
    Check out the Michigan Brewers Guild [[Mock) Winter festival in Grand Rapids on Feb 26th...over 250 brews from 45 brewers...And Anheiser Blech is not invited! Wheeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by ellsa View Post
    Calling all Michigan beer lovers......
    Check out the Michigan Brewers Guild [[Mock) Winter festival in Grand Rapids on Feb 26th...over 250 brews from 45 brewers...And Anheiser Blech is not invited! Wheeeee!
    I wish I could go, but my schedule is way to busy this semester ><.

I missed the Detroit Beer Fest at the Eastern Market, so I am really looking forward to this one..although I am afraid I am going to look like the abominable snow woman...all those layers..hope the porties are heated!

January 29th is the Westborn Winter beer fest at royal oak music theater that benefits charity.

I just got back from traffic jam with a growler of their IPA, good stuff.

Kuhnhenn's in Warren off of Mount and Chicago is my favorite joint. Their Loonie Kuhnie is one of my favorites, and they always have great seasonal stuff to try.

"What can we, as supporters of Michigan beer, do to increase the 2% market share?"

Hey, I'm trying ... I'm trying!

Frankly, I think it's cost. Anheiser Blech [[great one, plac) and Swiller Genuinely Sucks is just cheaper.

Typical beer drinkers think with their pocket books as well. If Butt Wiper is next to a fine 6 of Scotty Karate; Butt Wiper it is.

Ha ha, I'm trying too. I think I might have kicked it up to 3% last night. I'm increasing the share of Better Made chips as well.

I can't wait for spring every year so I can get my Oberon fix. Over the past 10 years I have turned into a total beer snob. I will always go for the local beer where ever I am. Last week on vacation I had the pleasure of drinking Kona Brewery's Wailua Wheat and Longboard Lager. Both were good. When I can't get a local one in a style I like I'll fall back on Sam Adams seasonals. It's a great time to be a beer lover in America.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast