Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Ravine Guest

Default Where Is New Pipe-Smoking Guy?

On the old forum, we had a thread going about pipe-smoking. The thread was initiated by a guy who was new to pipe-smoking. He, Gnome, myself and some others were having a fairly energetic discussion on the subject, and I am wondering if the person is around here, somewhere, and I would like to check in and see how things are working out.

You're right Ravine... the young guy from Port Huron that wants to grow up to be a photojournalist. BigCab? something like that.

I stocked up before the tax hike. How about you?

I found him hanging around outside:

Attachment 1150

Ravine Guest

Nice work, Pam, ya krazy kid, ya.
    Gnome, that's the one. I think you have the name right. I wonder how that's working out.
    I didn't stock up. I can't afford to make moves like that. Besides, the tax increase on pipe tobacco didn't amount to much, anyway. The hike on rolling tobacco, however, was brutal. While I already didn't use that much of it, the price will cause me to use yet less. I suppose that's a good thing, but dang, the 6-oz. bag of Midnight Special pretty much doubled in price.

So did Rave cigarette tobacco. From $8.99 to $20.99 for a 6oz pouch. McClintock did not go as high as I expected. Only up to $40.00 from $22.00 or so for a 1 Lb bag.

Gotta quit. But like my dad said before he passed , life is boring.

Ravine Guest

Keep your eyes open when you're in the smoke shops, Ronaldj. There's a place on Greenfield, south of Warren, where they have a tobacco which is packaged, and labelled, as pipe tobacco, but it appears to be rolling tobacco. The guy who works there took me aside and pointed it out; it looks like a new product specifically designed to get around the tax thing. I think it was about twelve bucks for what looked to be a 6, or maybe 8, ounce bag. Of course, the problem is, what if it's terrible? Still, after payday, I may stick my neck out and buy a bag. If I do so, I will return here to report the results, or maybe do a page-post to you. We gotta stick together. As rollers, we have been getting away so much cheaper than our pack-buying friends. We're not used to thinking about how much each cigarette is costing us.
    Yeah, yeah, I know, lung this, lung that. I'm talking about money, dammit.
    Last edited by Ravine; May-12-09 at 02:59 PM.

does it smell skunkie?

Ravine, thanks for the heads up. I get to that part of the west side every once in a while. I will find the place and check it out. Looking forward to your quality report.

Afterthought, "Tell St Peter at the Golden Gate, you'll just have to make him wait...gotta have another cigarette.

I will be in Detroit on Thursday with a little free time and wondered if anyone could recommend a good pipe shop on the South side of Detroit?

Ravine Guest

I wish I could help you with that one, but I know nothing about the south side.
    All I can say is, try calling JR Cigar. On Northwestern Highway just south of 12 Mile Road. They may have, on hand, some "imperfects," which are pipes that have some miniscule flaw and are, therefore, sold at great discount. While those pipes would be scorned by a pipe collector, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them if what you want is a nice pipe & a good smoke. Most of the time, I have to examine them pretty closely just to find the "flaw."
    Not on the south side, but could be worth the trip. Good luck.

Ravine, et al:
    Have been smoking Criss Cross. Marked as Pipe Tobacco, cut like rolling. Works well in the cigarrete roller. Price varies according to proprietor.