Matty Ice better get well soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill07073 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Matty Ice better get well soon!!!
    Wrong QB.."Matty Ice" is Matt Ryan

Matty "Ice Pack"

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Wrong QB.."Matty Ice" is Matt Ryan

He better play every game next year in good health or it's time for the old heave ho. Ice him!

We'll know next season, whether he's boom or bust. Til then, it's just opinion.

Is this even a story worthwhile mentioning? And from Crain's of all places??

I think we all knew that there was a possibility that Stafford was going to have surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Is this even a story worthwhile mentioning? And from Crain's of all places??

I think we all knew that there was a possibility that Stafford was going to have surgery.
    I cover the business of sports, and this is a $78 million investment on the part of the Lions that's now under the knife and out for four months. That's news.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    I cover the business of sports, and this is a $78 million investment on the part of the Lions that's now under the knife and out for four months. That's news.
    Then why wasn't this article written back when Stafford got impaled into the ground by Julius Peppers? Where was this article or the timeliness when he went out after the Jets game? Instead this article gets hitched to Stafford's shoulder surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Then why wasn't this article written back when Stafford got impaled into the ground by Julius Peppers? Where was this article or the timeliness when he went out after the Jets game? Instead this article gets hitched to Stafford's shoulder surgery.
    I'm not sure what you mean, Thruster ... the article is ABOUT Stafford having shoulder surgery. That was the news that sparked the article. It was a new event that has a direct impact on the Lions' steep financial investment. Previously, the team said he wasn't going to have surgery. Then he had it. That's news.

As for past coverage in Crain's:

I wrote this story analyzing his injury and its affect on the team's marketing efforts to sell tickets: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/311219968

This one looked at the quarterback situation right after the injury: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...OG13/101109868

And this one was after he was injured in the season opener: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...OG03/309139999

I'm not sure what you mean, Thruster ... the article is ABOUT Stafford having shoulder surgery. That was the news that sparked the article. It was a new event that has a direct impact on the Lions' steep financial investment. Previously, the team said he wasn't going to have surgery. Then he had it. That's news.

As for past coverage in Crain's:

I wrote this story analyzing his injury and its affect on the team's marketing efforts to sell tickets: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/311219968

This one looked at the quarterback situation right after the injury: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...OG13/101109868

And this one was after he was injured in the season opener: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...OG03/309139999
    I guess my query should go back to why wasn't this posted in the Detroit Lions thread back then? No one is doubting that you wrote those articles. Sure it might've been reported in Crain's as a business article but no offense Bshea, not many of us read your rag for sports and there was never a link here on DetroitYes until now.

I guess my query should go back to why wasn't this posted in the Detroit Lions thread back then? No one is doubting that you wrote those articles. Sure it might've been reported in Crain's as a business article but no offense Bshea, not many of us read your rag for sports and there was never a link here on DetroitYes until now.
    I'd recommend reading Crain's for sports business news. Just in the past year we were the first to report that the Red Wings/Olympia/Ilitch were not renewing their lease at Joe Louis ... first to report that Ilitch wanted to buy the Pistons ... first to report that Ilitch and Davidson agreed to an exclusive 30-day negotiation period last October.

We don't cover games, but we do cover the financial/business side of sports in metro Detroit. It's a multi-billion dollar industry. I wrote a blog about sports biz, as well. No one else in Detroit cover sports business full time.

no offense Bshea, not many of us read your rag for sports and there was never a link here on DetroitYes until now.
    I have subscribed to and read that 'rag' for over 20 years. It is the most informative and in-depth news you can find about Detroit and the business underpinnings, including sports, that are at the base of everything that happens here. I would highly encourage one to read it before blindly characterizing that publication as a rag. IMO, it is by far the best news source in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I have subscribed to and read that 'rag' for over 20 years. It is the most informative and in-depth news you can find about Detroit and the business underpinnings, including sports, that are at the base of everything that happens here. I would highly encourage one to read it before blindly characterizing that publication as a rag. IMO, it is by far the best news source in Detroit.
    Easy there Lowell. When I meant "rag" it was in no disrespect to the publication. It's relatively common vernacular for a magazine. What I questioned here was Bshea's lack of links to these reports [[I'll assume that'll be corrected in the future and I welcome his links). Where's the link to that sports blog? And how come none of this stuff ever comes up in the regular Lions' thread where I'd even assume MORE Lions' fans would follow?

Easy there Lowell. When I meant "rag" it was in no disrespect to the publication. It's relatively common vernacular for a magazine. What I questioned here was Bshea's lack of links to these reports [[I'll assume that'll be corrected in the future and I welcome his links). Where's the link to that sports blog? And how come none of this stuff ever comes up in the regular Lions' thread where I'd even assume MORE Lions' fans would follow?
    I wasn't aware that it was compulsory for me to post links on here, or else I would get a tongue lashing for a lack of links, etc. I don't often come into the sports forum, and generally post/comment on the main portion of DY.

I'm all about getting eyeballs/building the brand, etc., so I'll try to remember in the future to direct people to the sports stuff I write. However, I'd recommend people simply bookmark the blog [[http://www.crainsdetroit.com/section...BillSheaSports) and the regular CrainsDetroit site [[link) because a lot of sports biz stuff I do is regular stories [[rather than just blog fodder).

Okay Thruster, I know 'rag' is common usage and you may not have meant any ill-will by using it but IMO of all the names that could be chosen it is one of the less flattering and not deserved by this publication. I think if you follow the links Bshea provided you will see what I mean.

For instance, his article this week on the the woes of thoroughbred racing and the troubled Pinnacle race track will show you the kind of in-depth treatment you will find in Crains and the standard of quality that all writers there must achieve. I am not one to promote another business [unless paid to lol] but I make an exception for this publication.

I never thought the comment "rag" was derogatory.
    The Lions 2010 thread has 592 replies and 11048 views before being retired and has a very loyal following. The new 2011 Lions thread will exceed this. The thread is always on the top of the threads in the sports area so it’s easy to see. So a new Lions related thread was a poor choice. The author was obviously finding a way to advertise for Crains.
    By the way I find Crains an excellent publication and I especially support it because it’s a Detroit paper.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I never thought the comment "rag" was derogatory.
    The Lions 2010 thread has 592 replies and 11048 views before being retired and has a very loyal following. The new 2011 Lions thread will exceed this. The thread is always on the top of the threads in the sports area so it’s easy to see. So a new Lions related thread was a poor choice. The author was obviously finding a way to advertise for Crains.
    By the way I find Crains an excellent publication and I especially support it because it’s a Detroit paper.
    I'm trying to draw attention to a subject in which people are interested. I certainly want eyeballs on what I write, but i don't get any additional money for it. I think the shoulder injury to the franchise quarterback was worthy of its own topic since it's an especially important issue for not only wins-losses, but financially.

Detroit topics in the other forum don't run in a singular thread. Discussing all Lions issues in one thread seems silly and inefficient because you're going to be sifting through a lot of unrelated posts and lose responses, etc. Stafford's shoulder also is something that has been a concern since 2009, was again in 2010 and will be in 2011. It's on a one-season issue.

I'm trying to draw attention to a subject in which people are interested. I certainly want eyeballs on what I write, but i don't get any additional money for it. I think the shoulder injury to the franchise quarterback was worthy of its own topic since it's an especially important issue for not only wins-losses, but financially.

Detroit topics in the other forum don't run in a singular thread. Discussing all Lions issues in one thread seems silly and inefficient because you're going to be sifting through a lot of unrelated posts and lose responses, etc. Stafford's shoulder also is something that has been a concern since 2009, was again in 2010 and will be in 2011. It's on a one-season issue.
    BShea, as someone who posts regularly on the Detroit Lions' threads and huge fan of this team I would've posted your stuff on the 2011 thread per kenp & Thruster315's suggestion as well. And not just for readership or wow factor either. If it's relevant to our beloved team- we discuss it there. I thought that was the reason Lowell was kind enough to come up with a sub-section of sports for DetroitYes. I understand you want discussion but let's not paint the thread as being inefficient. I think if it was truly worth discussing over and over again- we loyal fans would. Simply put- once something is posted, is it really worth searching for months or weeks down the road if it wasn't relevant? Sports has so many facets and is it really more or less efficient if we suddenly starting having additional sub-threads on the play of the individual players, the draft, the uniforms, injuries, sales & marketing, etc.? I would credit my fellow dedicated fans there with keeping up on this team in ALL aspects of our team and bringing some very lively discussion there on that thread.

So I would ask that if you want to join in discussing the Lions as a business or if you want to discuss stats, I think the 2011 Lions thread would be the ideal place to put links to your articles. Let the loyal fans be the determiner if Matthew Stafford's shoulder is worth discussing further there.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    BShea, as someone who posts regularly on the Detroit Lions' threads and huge fan of this team I would've posted your stuff on the 2011 thread per kenp & Thruster315's suggestion as well. And not just for readership or wow factor either. If it's relevant to our beloved team- we discuss it there. I thought that was the reason Lowell was kind enough to come up with a sub-section of sports for DetroitYes. I understand you want discussion but let's not paint the thread as being inefficient. I think if it was truly worth discussing over and over again- we loyal fans would. Simply put- once something is posted, is it really worth searching for months or weeks down the road if it wasn't relevant? Sports has so many facets and is it really more or less efficient if we suddenly starting having additional sub-threads on the play of the individual players, the draft, the uniforms, injuries, sales & marketing, etc.? I would credit my fellow dedicated fans there with keeping up on this team in ALL aspects of our team and bringing some very lively discussion there on that thread.

So I would ask that if you want to join in discussing the Lions as a business or if you want to discuss stats, I think the 2011 Lions thread would be the ideal place to put links to your articles. Let the loyal fans be the determiner if Matthew Stafford's shoulder is worth discussing further there.
    I had no idea the sports forum was the private fiefdom of a cadre of "loyal fans" who have assumed the right to dictate where things are posted.

Or maybe I'm mistaken and Lowell had determined the Lions are so unworthy of anything but a single thread that the topic is ghettoized into one subject heading?

Or is the worry that Lions fans on here are not capable of handling more than a single thread? That seems insulting and odd. The main forum is capable of handling dozens or hundreds of threads on various Detroit topics.

Or is there so little interest on here about the Lions that that one thread handles everything because almost no one posts? If that's the case, I guess it makes a little bit of sense. Of course, in that case stories of interest would attract little attention because they're buried on some dusty thread.

And yes, I believe it incredibly inefficient. I am not a Lions fan, but I do scan messages boards and chats about the Lions as part of keeping up with the team for my job. Paging through page after page to see if there's some new nugget is absurd.

You have a dozen conversations about a dozen things going on at once. Who wants Babel?

But if everyone enjoys that, bully for 'em. Obviously, this isn't designed for me, but for you guys. Just my opinion.

I am a regular on a Cleveland Browns news site with a message/forum board that has about 20,000 members. It's similar to DetroitYes but is all Browns and has many, many forums, and each has endless topics with plenty of active discussion. I'm not suggesting that for this site, but it feels a helluva lot less restrictive. Responses to a topic don't get lost in a sudden change of interest to something else.

And I also think some topics transcend a single season thread. We'll be talking about Stafford's shoulder next year, and it seems silly and wasteful to have to repost links/convo from a different thread.

Just my opinion[[s).

I had no idea the sports forum was the private fiefdom of a cadre of "loyal fans" who have assumed the right to dictate where things are posted.

Or maybe I'm mistaken and Lowell had determined the Lions are so unworthy of anything but a single thread that the topic is ghettoized into one subject heading?

Or is the worry that Lions fans on here are not capable of handling more than a single thread? That seems insulting and odd. The main forum is capable of handling dozens or hundreds of threads on various Detroit topics.

Or is there so little interest on here about the Lions that that one thread handles everything because almost no one posts? If that's the case, I guess it makes a little bit of sense. Of course, in that case stories of interest would attract little attention because they're buried on some dusty thread.

And yes, I believe it incredibly inefficient. I am not a Lions fan, but I do scan messages boards and chats about the Lions as part of keeping up with the team for my job. Paging through page after page to see if there's some new nugget is absurd.

You have a dozen conversations about a dozen things going on at once. Who wants Babel?

But if everyone enjoys that, bully for 'em. Obviously, this isn't designed for me, but for you guys. Just my opinion.

I am a regular on a Cleveland Browns news site with a message/forum board that has about 20,000 members. It's similar to DetroitYes but is all Browns and has many, many forums, and each has endless topics with plenty of active discussion. I'm not suggesting that for this site, but it feels a helluva lot less restrictive. Responses to a topic don't get lost in a sudden change of interest to something else.

And I also think some topics transcend a single season thread. We'll be talking about Stafford's shoulder next year, and it seems silly and wasteful to have to repost links/convo from a different thread.

Just my opinion[[s).
    Dear BShea,

It's not any sort of control issue with me as to where you want to post. It's not some sort of "fiefdom" or elitism on my part at all. I was just trying to make the kind suggestion to you that if you wanted to reach the audience who cared the most, post a link on the established thread. Double post if you want; we're more than capable of seeing multiple threads. It's far from a dusty thread and is quite active. Things are discussed there because the people who care think certain topics are worthy of discussion. The topics people don't care about are dropped.

You obviously chose to believe that Stafford's shoulder discussion merited its own thread, worthy of much more discussion, and you have every right to post that. No one has told you not to post; if anything I've been trying to get you to engage the larger audience.

I guess Bshea doesn't need to hear his readers thoughts either in case they are "elitists". Since the vast majority of posts on the 2011 Lions thread are by Lions fans [[as are the 2010 thread) I would hazard a guess Mr. BShea would target these individuals. But alas, perhaps its his elitisism that needs correcting. Or we could just ignore him or tell him what a prick he is to post such nonsense. I'll go with the latter.

I've read Bshea's posts and I don't see where he is a prick, in any posts he's made. IHO, as a unbiased sportswriter, a post about a 42 million dollar investment, that so far has been a dud, is very newsworthy too him. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe any negative posts about the lions, are deemed elitest and pricky by some on this board. How childish.

This thread is getting silly. Bshea is not a prick and its not fair to call him one. I actually have enjoyed many of his posts and often click on his links to Crains. Being a Browns fan I can see were he might not read the Lions thread much. I gues the one thing we have in commen is fact we both root for mediocre to awful teams for the last number of years.
    And by the way I wasnt being negative when I said you promote Crains, I would do the same thing.

Nothing prickish intended here. I'll simply take smogboy's advice and double post when I think something warrants its own thread in addition to being inside the seasonal running thread. That's a fine, logical idea and appreciated.

I've been called far worse than a prick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast