Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fort and Cavalry fire

A couple weeks ago I saw this little building on fire and being put out by firemen. The next day I went back for some shots....

Last edited by DetroitZack; January-21-11 at 07:29 PM.

Wow...look at all those shelves! A shoe store once? Any idea what this was before the fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Wow...look at all those shelves! A shoe store once? Any idea what this was before the fire?
    It used to be a shoe store called "Shoe Fair"

Shoe Fair closed a few years ago. I loved that place, used to get my Chucks irregulars there. Never could find anything wrong with them and they were about $13.00.

Fort Street used to be such a nice shopping area - Winkleman's, Kresge's, Shoe Fair,

Sanders. I'm sure Mr. Maroun probably has some plans for the area.

Sad to see another building burn.

It seems so hard for a youngin like myself to believe that with how Fort Looks today! I'm going to have to find some old pictures of Fort Street.

Dear god - Shoe Fair. My mom used to tell me she worked there as a teenager.

Sad times truly because you can just feel what used to seem like a vibrant community.

I remember north of Dragoon on the west side of Fort was Ferguson Funeral Home, Motor Parts and Machine, and a bar. Further down was a men's clothing store where my dad bought his suits in the 40's and 50's. I went in there in the late 50's with my dad and the owner told us of a robbery that happened. On their way out they fired a shot at him that went through a whole rack of suits that went nearly the depth of the store.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Fort Street used to be such a nice shopping area - Winkleman's, Kresge's, Shoe Fair,

Sanders. I'm sure Mr. Maroun probably has some plans for the area.
    Uh ho! Another part of town likely marooned...