Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Southwest Detroit Hospital

In the past couple months I've seen many trucks in various areas around the Southwest Detroit Hospital. Does anyone know what is going on there?

Probably draining the moat that surrounds the building, or finally taking all the hospital supplies out of there...Deroiturbex.com has a great photo set on it:

http://detroiturbex.com/content/heal...y/uch/uch.html

There was an article a few months back that this building was going to become seniors housing. I don't know if I would want to live there, it seems sort of sterile looking to me.

Are we talking about the stainless steel spaceship off of Mich Ave and 75?

Yes, that's it

Manny probably bought it.

Great photos. Thanks to whomever. See all that equipment? Could've been packed up and shipped to a third world country to be re-used to improve health care for poor people - like the US.

Geeze, I never even knew what that thing was. Terrible building design. What an odd building to try and repurpose as anything but a hospital. I would think use as a psychiatric/drug treatment center would make much more sense than a senior center...

The basement has been drained dry. It's in very bad shape, as it spent at least 2+ years with several feet of standing water in it. Lots of black mold everywhere.

The upper levels are.... good, but not getting better. A lot more vandalism than before.

Security was stepped up last year, and they routinely patrol the building. I spoke briefly with someone who was working there and he said that they were going to turn it into senior homes. Since then the HVAC units on the roof have been ripped completely off. Haven't seen much activity lately.

It's astonishing to me that some investor would attempt to save this hulking pile of [[let's be honest) total junk with no historical value when there are so many other beautiful buildings throughout the city sitting empty. I mean, would anybody be upset if this building saw the wrecking ball? Maybe it's just my tastes, but choosing between this old hospital and a field of grass would be a toss up.

Brush, I agree with you. Looks like hell. It's also the first building you see when you come from 96 east to 75 north on your right....not good.

muskie1 Guest

I agree also, I think the problem with most beautiful old buildings is the cost of renovation for a project like this. Old buildings,even if they are in good shape, almost always require a total gutting because of old wiring,plumbing and structure. This ugly hulk of a building hasn't been empty that long and was of pretty new construction so as far as an investment it might make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    The basement has been drained dry. It's in very bad shape, as it spent at least 2+ years with several feet of standing water in it. Lots of black mold everywhere.

The upper levels are.... good, but not getting better. A lot more vandalism than before.

Security was stepped up last year, and they routinely patrol the building. I spoke briefly with someone who was working there and he said that they were going to turn it into senior homes. Since then the HVAC units on the roof have been ripped completely off. Haven't seen much activity lately.
    Maybe then the people are scrappers....call your district-representative they can find any work permits. I haven't been by there in a while, gonna swing by there on Monday,
    Zack get some photos, be a sleuth!

As much as I can sympathize with those wishing that historic buildings get renovated first in Detroit... I have to admit that I'm happy when ANY building in Detroit is renovated...

Gistok, agreed 100%. Having a lighted building in use would definitely be an improvement over a large abandoned structure. That stretch of Michigan Avenue is showing some signs of renewal, the SW Detroit Hospital is not terribly old and if renovated could be a great addition to a possible turnaround of the Michigan Ave corridor and the slow-but-sure expansion of Mexican Town.

Senior citizens need housing, and if this structure is suitable for such a project then great. At least that area wouldn't look so dark and deserted if the complex were to reopen.

Hells yeah.....ive been to the southwest detroit hospital recently also......ive been everywhere but i dont post many pictures, but here ya guys go.....enjoy!

Name:  094.jpg
Views: 6069
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  030.jpg
Views: 3713
Size:  24.7 KB

Name:  022.jpg
Views: 3694
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  103.jpg
Views: 5133
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  032.jpg
Views: 6421
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  082.jpg
Views: 4042
Size:  35.8 KB

Was there today, talked to both a cop and worker: going to be a senior care center...they both said all the stuff in detroiturbex's photo blog is all smashed now but otherwise it's in great shape...what's not is the power terminal which they moved from the back of the building to the front, you can see it from Michigan ave....pics tomorrow

The place was littered with peoples' medical records a year and a half ago. I wonder if they just destroy those documents.

Name:  SWhospital.jpg
Views: 3689
Size:  35.3 KB

Looks like a party to me

Is that a rooftop HVAC unit sitting in the dock?

Yeah or a power unit, I didn't ask, but it was fully gutted of all its inner workings

It looks strategically placed there to block access to the dock. Is there any way to get that off the roof without a crane? It doesn't look damaged enough to have been dropped from the roof...

Yeah I think it's to block road access, there would be no way to drive down there unless you drove around it. Also the driveways are blocked off with roadblocks, though you can always just drive around them.

I just really think that the Southwest Detroit Hospital is too far gone for any rehabbing to be done especially for a senior citizen's complex?!?!?!?
    More PICS for ya guys, check out the orbs! LOL
    Name:  089.jpg
Views: 3362
Size:  34.7 KB
    Name:  035.jpg
Views: 3127
Size:  21.9 KB
    Name:  077.jpg
Views: 3150
Size:  36.3 KB
    Name:  033.jpg
Views: 3258