Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dog-friendly rental near WSU?

My husband and I are thinking of moving back near the WSU campus, but we have two 50lb dogs and four cats and we're having trouble locating rentals that will take us. My husband is a WSU employee. We'd prefer a flat but would take a decent apartment, and are thinking of spending in the $600-$800 range. The place must be "safely" walkable from campus after dark.

Anybody have any advice or leads?

Thanks!

Maybe you could ask the people at the doggie day care place across from Burton. They might know more.

LodgeDodger Guest

Canine to Five? They have an excellent reputation. I'm sure they could help you out.

Just called Canine to Five--they had no advice other than to look for pet-friendly apartment websites.

Default dog-friendly rental

I live near Wayne State. Honestly, there aren't many flats within safe walking distance from Wayne State in the evening. The flats tend to be in Woodbridge. To walk from Woodbridge to Wayne State in the evening is not what I would consider a safe walk.

If you are used to having a house with a yard, I'm not sure how you will like living in an apartment building that has a shared courtyard as the only green space for your dogs. If you are used to just letting your dogs outside in the yard, it might be an adjustment to walk your dogs several times a day. There is a space on Second Ave. and Hancock, where I have seen people throw balls for their dogs and let them run loose.

Although it's not right at WSU, the Kales building is only a couple minute drive. There' all kinds of dog sizes, and there's a huge green space across the street. [[Grand Circus Pk)...unless of course you're using that sweet incentive in midtown...which I assume you are.

I'm sure the recent incentives for for WSU/DMC/Henry Ford employees to live in midtown had something to do with this?

Absolutely, the Live Midtown thing is a big draw. I am old--I lived on Hancock for 5 years and on Prentis for 12, so I do know my way around the WSU area.

We owned a house with a yard in Dearborn, then moved to help elderly relatives in a house with a yard in Windsor, but the commute is just killing me and my non-driving husband--and it's costing us nearly as much as it would to rent near WSU. Having to walk the dogs every time they go out will be an adjustment, but one we'll have to make in order to keep our sanity in other ways.

Kales sounds good, but unfortunately doesn't fit the bill.

ETA: we have never left the dogs outside in the yard unsupervised, so it wouldn't be that much of a change for them.
    Last edited by movingback; January-20-11 at 04:03 PM.

Hi movingback: Check out the places over in the Art Center district [[E. Kirby and E. Ferry). I have two colleagues who live in that area, and I am considering it as well. Don't know about pets, but they have historic homes that have been converted into flats. The walk in that direction from WSU seems less risky/marginal just from my gut feeling. You've got the DIA, the Park Shelton with new and thriving business, and CCS right there, so there's more activity.

Look for Townhouses or Houses for rent. Good Luck.

I am glad to hear about your move into the city.

How about the Graphics Arts Lofts, 41 Burroughs 48202.
    http://www.jonna-detroitlofts.com/graphicarts.html

The building is on Wayne's extended campus.
    It shares the lot with Wayne State Police and has gated parking.
    You should feel safe walking to the apartments if you would feel safe walking from the FAB to Old Main.
    There is also a campus shuttle that has a stop on Cass, across from the building.
    The shuttle runs from 7am-7pm.
    I would rather rely on WSU police than CoD police anyday. WSU police are proactive, visible, and are willing to get involved with small issues.
    [[See http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...Detroit-police)

Rents start at $650 and they accept cats.
    I would try to talk them down on the price, then offer to pay the advertised price because of the dog.

The $650 number is from Rent.com.
    Also check the list found at the link below.
    http://newcenter.com/housing.htm

Good Luck and Enjoy Midtown
    Last edited by majohnson; January-21-11 at 02:06 PM.

Yeah, the noise factor of heavy, running, dogs in an apartment would be something. Consider a flat, 'downstairs' preferably. Maybe in the midtown area closer to Woodward....
    Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    I live near Wayne State. Honestly, there aren't many flats within safe walking distance from Wayne State in the evening. The flats tend to be in Woodbridge. To walk from Woodbridge to Wayne State in the evening is not what I would consider a safe walk.

If you are used to having a house with a yard, I'm not sure how you will like living in an apartment building that has a shared courtyard as the only green space for your dogs. If you are used to just letting your dogs outside in the yard, it might be an adjustment to walk your dogs several times a day. There is a space on Second Ave. and Hancock, where I have seen people throw balls for their dogs and let them run loose.

I love that place. But would they take someone with TWO large dogs?

Well, I walk from campus to Woodbridge at night. Forest and Warren can be pretty barren. I've never had any problems though. No one's even really approached me for anything except when walking into the liquor store you'll get asked for money sometimes. Not that something bad couldn't happen but I don't want to undercut the numerous times I've run into friends, had conversions with people, and just smiled and said hello to people along that walk. The flats over here are in huge houses with yards and many allow dogs. I always see people walking their dogs. My advice is to try the walk at about seven o'clock from campus to commonwealth. You could cut through the athletic field on the sidewalk where they have blue light phones that connect you to Wayne State.

Forget 911, call Wayne State directly: [[313) 577-2222 They show up within a couple minutes. If you need them to take a report about a stolen or busted up car or bike or other report they take more like fifteen, but they come.

Also if you really are old or have a medicare card the crosstown bus is on warren going west and on forest going east. It'll set you back $0.50 [[or .75 if you're a medicare card holder but not disabled or a senior). Just grab a bus schedule in the student center. http://studentcenter.wayne.edu/cic.php

Look at Margaret Palmer's website. www.MargaretPalmer.com

Also, you could live in a triple in the Renaud for the amount you listed. Call Robin Somers, the manager. 833-6587.

They allow dogs and are very central. On the corner of Hancock and Second.