Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Snyder's State of the State Speech

Try saying that 3 times fast. Anyway, just wondering what folks here thought about it. For me, it was buzz word central.

obviously a lot of generalities, not too much specifics, hopefully those will come sooner than later..

..Regarding trade and immigration, someone needs to compel some Chinese companies to set up shop in urban Detroit and hire locals..

..Especially when it comes to getting a rail system up and running out here, Chinese consultation could be invaluable, since Ford, Gen. Motors and Chrysler are all agnostic to anything but selling hybrids and such to people..

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ..Regarding trade and immigration, someone needs to compel some Chinese companies to set up shop in urban Detroit and hire locals..

..Especially when it comes to getting a rail system up and running out here, Chinese consultation could be invaluable, since Ford, Gen. Motors and Chrysler are all agnostic to anything but selling hybrids and such to people..
    Chinese are pretty notorious for setting up shop in places and bringing in their own workers from China instead of using locals.

Anybody got a link to his speech? I tried looking online but have found nothing so far.

Thx......

lincoln8740 Guest

not one mention of the word "green" thank god.

No "green jobs"
    no "green technology" pie in the sky dreams

+1 for snyder

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Thanks for getting me the transcript. What would I do without you? Next, you can work on getting me the video.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post

No "green jobs"

+1 for snyder
    Yeah, because we all know that wind power would never work on the western side of the state with the wind coming in off Lake Michigan. We wouldn't want to have any alternatives to coal power now, would we?

You probably considered Silicon Valley a "pie in the sky" technology at one time too.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Yeah, because we all know that wind power would never work on the western side of the state with the wind coming in off Lake Michigan. We wouldn't want to have any alternatives to coal power now, would we?

You probably considered Silicon Valley a "pie in the sky" technology at one time too.
    Wait a minute I am trying to respond but I am being "blown away" by all those "green" jobs that the mole brought to Michigan during her tenure.

Thank God the electorate finally woke up.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Yeah, because we all know that wind power would never work on the western side of the state with the wind coming in off Lake Michigan. .
    I'm sure it would, but damn, those windmills are pig ugly. Especially compared to the pristine beauty of the Lake Michigan shorline. That's where I'm a greenie; I don't want to spoil that splendor.

I like the Dashboard. http://michigan.gov/accountability

It sounded more to me like he was still campaigning, rather than a straight-up State of the State Speech.

Hypestyles pretty much pegged it, Too much generalities, very little in the way of specifics.

My observations:

Nothing about the $1.85-billion deficit.

Nothing about the continuing structural deficit.

Nothing about whether he'll raise taxes or cut spending.

from A Better Michigan Future.org

"...Last night, Gov. Rick Snyder delivered his first State of the State address, and declared that job number one was jobs.

That's excellent news, and the governor can start by closing outdated corporate tax loopholes that give away our precious tax dollars to corporations and special interests that don't create or retain jobs for Michiganders.

In 2009, Michigan lost $35 billion from tax loopholes and giveaways – more than twice what we spend on education. Many of these loopholes have existed for years, even decades, and are as outdated as the technology they support, like the 1970s-era loophole for satellite dishes that robs Michigan taxpayers of $34 million every year.

Others just don't make sense, like a tax break for CEOs when they make phone calls to other countries, a giveaway that costs Michigan taxpayers $18 million every year.

The Nerd wants to bring 15,000 young professionals to Midtown Detroit by 2015. HAHAHAHA!!!! I'm going to be blown away in 5 years. If his plan doesn't work as he promised in his 1st State of the Union Address DON'T VOTE FOR HIM PERIOD on his next term.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post

No "green jobs"

+1 for snyder
    The nerd don't give a care about "green tech!" He's focused on 3 things: JOBS, JOBS, JOBS,
    CUT, CUT,CUT, BUDGET,BUDGET,BUDGET.

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs. 8 dollar an hour jobs, for his company, in a right to work state. That's what you can look for.

No one will ever be happy. Crab crab crab. That's all I ever hear when it comes to the governor. Everyone hated Jenny, and now everyone hates the new guy, without even giving him a chance. No wonder there's never any positive energy to get this place back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    No one will ever be happy. Crab crab crab. That's all I ever hear when it comes to the governor. Everyone hated Jenny, and now everyone hates the new guy, without even giving him a chance. No wonder there's never any positive energy to get this place back on track.
    Who is this everyone? I've seen very little criticism of Snyder so far.

I'm convinced the guy doesn't shop for himself. The idea of ending item pricing is a non-starter for me. It will cost a lot of low wage jobs, just what we need, more unemployed with noplace to go. Also, it will make comparison shopping and rechecking as items are scanned impossible. Face it, not everyone has an I-phone or wants to pay for an app to scan as they shop, which takes longer than eyeballing tags on adjaccent items.

RE: Item pricing
    Old people have lots of time to shop. If they can't see price listings on the shelf or in an advertising circular, they should ask store personnel for the prices. Meijers has a machine but there may be a line to use it or it might be broken. Shoppers may just decide to patronize smaller stores where personnel are more easily accessed. I always bring the grocery store circular with me in case some sale price hasn't been programmed into the register which has happened in my experience. And dollar stores are easy ways to get some basics.
    Last edited by maxx; January-23-11 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I'm convinced the guy doesn't shop for himself. The idea of ending item pricing is a non-starter for me. It will cost a lot of low wage jobs, just what we need, more unemployed with noplace to go.
    I see, so we want jobs just for jobs sake, not because they are valued and contributing roles in society. Makes great sense.

Also, it will make comparison shopping and rechecking as items are scanned impossible. Face it, not everyone has an I-phone or wants to pay for an app to scan as they shop, which takes longer than eyeballing tags on adjaccent items.
    No one is saying the price won't be on the item AT ALL. Only that duplication of effort is ridiculous. Price it once and be done with it. Figure out how to do that and get it done. Efficiency and common sense. Let's use some of this technology we have in our lives, and not continue to live like old people who have to have little paper stickers on everything to tell them how to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Jobs, Jobs, Jobs. 8 dollar an hour jobs, for his company, in a right to work state. That's what you can look for.
    I don't agree that this will happen, but for the sake of argument, its more than Jenny gave us.

I don't like the idea of eliminating the pricing law either, but I still think the guy is great.

I also love the dashboard idea. At work, I tape all of my objectives and trends towards those objectives on the wall so I'm constantly reminded of what they're paying me to do and remember to ask myself how my plan will affect the desired results. Wish Jenny had been doing that, but she knew if her performance results were that open, nobody would have been fooled by all the BS skills she mastered in her law school and acting classes.

Has Snyder really said anything of substance yet? I'm not paying close attention, but it seems his plans are quite vague. Did he say anything important in his SOS speech, other than seeming to support DRIC? I'd like Snyder [[Riiiick, Riiiick......help me, Riiick) to succeed and I'll support him if he actually doesn't kill Michigan in the process. If he throws in his towel with right wing-nuts, it'll be all over.

No one is saying the price won't be on the item AT ALL. Only that duplication of effort is ridiculous. Price it once and be done with it. Figure out how to do that and get it done. Efficiency and common sense. Let's use some of this technology we have in our lives, and not continue to live like old people who have to have little paper stickers on everything to tell them how to shop.
    I was Busches on Monday. The display said $9.59 for coffee, I was charged $10.79. The tea was "stickered" at $3.55. I was charged $3.79.

I could have been over charged on the other 30 items I bought. I don't know, nothing else had a price tag and I couldn't remember the price of every single thing I bought.

I went back a couple days later and checked the coffee display, it said $9.59. I was able to get a refund for both the coffee and the tea. I was lucky that they hadn't changed the coffee display price. When I was there initially, none of the coffee was priced, the price was on the shelf tag only. I wouldn't have been able to prove they over charged me.

Everyone hated Jenny, and now everyone hates the new guy, without even giving him a chance.
    I didn't hate Jenny. However, I wasn't enamored with her either. I thought she had alot of potential to which she never lived up. Looking back it seems that she was overwhelmed from the start with coming in to the mess Engler left behind. It was as if she had no idea where to start to fix things and kind of just gave up as things got worse. Her whole administration seemed to be one of inaction. During the second term, it seems she was just showing up for photo ops. I was particularly dismayed when she didn't accompany the auto execs to DC when they went to ask for federal aid. Everyone else was there, Levin, Stabenow, Bernero, Ken Cockrel Jr. She was out of town, but said she was "available by phone if needed". I think it was really poor on her part not to be there to show support.

I don't hate Snyder either, but "the business man" part of him is something I don't think I like at this point. I've sat in many, many meetings over the years lead by executives talking about "our mission" "our vision" "paradigm shifts" "being proactive" "thinking outside the box" "project management" "quality assurance" "strategic planning" "leverage our buys" and on and on where they never really talked about anything but theories & concepts that never came to life. Snyder's speech sounded just like one being in one of those meetings. My thought is forget all these buzz words and get to work getting things done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast