Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default -24F day in Detroit in January of what year, '92?

Was that in '92 when the temp dropped to something like -24F in January. I seem to recall the high being around -5F that day. What day in January was it, around the 22nd? I was living in Corktown and walked over to Nemo's just to experience how awful it was outside. I think I drove over to Jacoby's restaurant for chow later that afternoon and barely got my car to turn over when I came out.

It was 1994.

I was in 6th grade. I remember we got 2 days off of school for "cold days"
    It was odd having a day off when it was perfectly clear and sunny out but absolutely freezing.

Yeah the highs didn't even get above zero.

I seem to remember a period of a week or more not getting above zero.

george_babbage Guest

Cuddle alert!

Default So, what the day 19 Jan 1994?...

I don't see the date on the You Tube videos. I guess it wasn't really down to -24F. You know how people begin to embellish things.

And that week is exactly why I attended undergrad in Florida. Somewhere in time, my 17 year old self is shouting at me for ever returning to live north of I-10.

Jan 19, 1994 set a record low for that date of -20 and a record low high of -4

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/display_...TW_Jan_inc.htm

That chart also shows a record low for the month of January set on Jan 21, 1984 of -21 although it warmed up more that day to 1 above.

I remember it being so cold that the paint just peeled off my garage door.

Thanks for the reminder. Now the highs in the teens the next few days, won't feel so bad.
    Last edited by Pam; January-20-11 at 08:20 AM.

It was 92', I remember it well. We work out doors, and that 2 week stretch was friggin. brutal. We kept all the trucks and equipment running while going about out business as usual, bundled like the 'Stay Puffed' dough boy. We did more then a few water main breaks at night, and being so close to Lake St. Clair often the numbers were a few degrees colder yet. One resident took pity on us and brought out cups of hot mocha. With in a minuet, they froze solid in the cups. Salt had little effect on iced over roads. The trash got collected, but the hydraulics on the packers froze and had to be continually run to be kept fluid. I love my job.

It was 92', I remember it well.

If you'll check the NWS chart linked above, you'll see it was '94.

FWIW, tomorrow, January 21 is the coldest day of the year on average in Detroit. I plan to celebrate getting over that hump!

This is based on the daily average mean data at Weather.com. The record lows on that page seem to differ from figures mentioned above. <shrug>

Default With older cars, I recommend not locking the doors on below 32F days...

After having to crawl through the hatchback opening once when the doors wouldn't unlock, I left the doors unlocked. If the doors are frozen shut but the locks are open, a couple of gentle body slams against the doors usually does the trick. Also, if you wash your car in winter, it might help to do it earlier in the day when you might drive it around a bit. That might help to dissipate the moisture around the door seals and locking mechanism.
    After having car doors freeze up a few times on winter days, one learns to improvise.

I am remembering a January, likely '94, where the wind chill on three Saturday nights in a row was 60 below zero[[F). We were getting out of work around midnight and we'd make sure all cars started and worked before leaving. At least one jump start was needed each time.

Are there any you tube videos on the jan '99 blizzard here in detroit?

Ja!mz, I'd like to see some video of cars driving along the ice ruts after the '99 Jan storm. Cars going in opposite directions on a residential street would have to slip out of the ruts in order to pass each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Ja!mz, I'd like to see some video of cars driving along the ice ruts after the '99 Jan storm. Cars going in opposite directions on a residential street would have to slip out of the ruts in order to pass each other.

I tried searching you tube but couldn't find any newscasts or anything...

Hey, gang, the sun has been moving north for a whole month now. Haven't you noticed?

Nope. Can't see it through the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Hey, gang, the sun has been moving north for a whole month now. Haven't you noticed?
    Yup. We got one more minute of daylight today, and it was great!

I remember the day in 1984 when it was -20 on the way to the bus stop. I walked from Schoolcraft to Fenkell, only to have the bus driver tell me that the schools were closed.

I remember the "Arctic Blast" of 1994. I was in 3rd grade and the buses brought us to school then the school sent them right back to bring us home. We didn't even get out of the bus. I didn't understand it though. If they made us wait at the bus stop...why couldn't we walk into the front door of the school?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I remember the day in 1984 when it was -20 on the way to the bus stop. I walked from Schoolcraft to Fenkell, only to have the bus driver tell me that the schools were closed.
    I remember that day in 84, I was living in an apartment in Troy, there were lots of people who had cars that wouldn't start. It took days to get a tow to the repair shop. Tow truck drivers were ripping people off right and left.

A tonic -32˚c or -25,6˚F tonight in Montreal. This will last a whole week, I never get used to it. Fill up your gas tanks. Stick a bit of fuel line antifreeze if you need to. If you have an engine block heater fine, plug it in. Who wants to be homeless on days like these.