Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mexican restaurant on Woodward north of 12 Mile

Does anyone remember the Mexican restaurant on Woodward north of 12 Mile, where, I believe, the Orvis is now. It was sometime in the late 1990s. I ask because I went to Shrine Grade School, and the time it burned down was during recess and we all watched this great scene of bellowing black smoke. No one in my family nor my school friends remember such an incident. But it is one my most vivid grammar school memories.

I will check with my husband tomorrow...he might remember as he used to live in the area. I went to Shrine too...but waaaaaaay back in the mid-late 50's...LOL. Both my sisters graduated from Shrine High 1960 and 1961, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Does anyone remember the Mexican restaurant on Woodward north of 12 Mile, where, I believe, the Orvis is now. It was sometime in the late 1990s.
    Well, as late as 1979-80, from Woodward and Benjamin St northbound on Woodward you had the Susie-Q [[now Pet Supplies Plus and Trek Bikes), Fitness USA [[still there), Ponderosa and Seros Restaurant. The Ponderosa and Seros are gone and the Orvis is where they once were. I don't recall Seros becoming a Mexican place at anytime, but I could be wrong.

Side note, I worked at the Susie-Q from 1979-1984. There is a Facebook page for the "Q" here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/g...id=74916729392. If anyone has pics, memories or questions feel free to head over there

I checked my Metro Guides from 73 and 75. Nada.

My husband does not remember the name of the restaurant, but he does remember it being there and burning down. It was located approximately where the Denny's was [[which is now some kind of office) on the southwest corner of 12 Mile & Woodward. He will try to remember...will let you know if he comes up with the name.

I believe that the restaurant was the Spaghetti Company. It was housed in the old Northwood inn building, the Northwood Inn was a fixture on Wooodward for many years.

There is a medical office complex there now.

Sorry, but there was never a Mexican restaurant on Woodward north of 12 Mile Rd. or south of !3 Mile Road. If there had been one that close to my old house I would have been there regularly.

Toolbox Guest

There is a Mex place on Woodward just s of Catalpa. Do not remember anything n of 12 in the area of Orvis except Seros and Pondarosa.

Thanks guys...I wonder what it was. I remember being told it was a Mexican restaurant. So whoever told me might have been wrong. But something burned down that day. But it was definitely north of 12 Mile because I remember 1) looking north, and 2) alot of us kids thought it was Pets Supplies Plus...

My wife who grew up in RO sez there wasn't a Mexican place on Woodward. She said at one time Sero's burned, but they rebuilt. Sero's was where Orvis is now.

The mexican place was in the old ponderosa building

You guys mean Margarita's Mexian Restaurant? Just south of Catalpa at 27861 Woodward Avenue?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You guys mean Margarita's Mexian Restaurant? Just south of Catalpa at 27861 Woodward Avenue?
    No, no. That's south of Catalpa [[11 1/2 Mile). Everybody I've asked, says that.