Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Chinese Auto Company setting up manufacturing in Detroit?

I could have sworn I heard a story on the radio this morning about this, but haven't found anything online. Anyone else hear aout it?

President Obama is meeting with the leader of China this morning to discuss opening thier borders to our goods and the deflated currencies.

I think what you may have heard is a tad optimistic and based upon the meeting.

When will we start getting NEW jobs from overseas that will be more than just R&D ? Yes, we have alot of out of work engineers, but also a lot of skilled, college trained tech workers that also need jobs. What we have seen trickle in is just a small fraction of jobs lost and a huge trade imbalance that we've dealt with for a dozen years.
    Last edited by Bigb23; January-19-11 at 11:04 AM.

There will be no assembly jobs in Michigan because of the 3 letters that begin with a U. However r & d is not as unionized and there is a skilled workforce here. Those are the only new jobs that will be created here in manufacturing.

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    There will be no assembly jobs in Michigan because of the 3 letters that begin with a U. However r & d is not as unionized and there is a skilled workforce here. Those are the only new jobs that will be created here in manufacturing.
    I agree. I remember one of the imports a few years back looking at the west side of the state but chose
    the south because they were worried about the union. Now that the U.A.W has made it clear that they are going to picket import showrooms and target factory workers for membership I don't think we will see any plants located here soon. I was kind of hopeful with the new two tier wage system that maybe someone would take a chance.
    I think the upcoming contract negotiations should be very interesting. I see alot of concessions to the auto companies. There is going to be huge pressure from Washington to resolve the contracts quickly. Can't have any of the two bailout recipients looking at a strike.

Some big Chinese companies are in the "Motor City" taking a look at brands GM may soon put up for sale. Assembly lines are also on their shopping lists.

This from:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bw/2009...nt_7937564.htm

http://www.valleynewslive.com/Global...asp?S=13826717

CHINA: Changan to open Detroit R&D centre

The better to steal our intellectual property.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/19226
    Last edited by maxx; January-19-11 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks, I knew someone here would get the info

can the chinese be brought in to help design and build the light rail systems..

Seeing that the Chinese government has a very long history of making, then breaking, promises I'll believe when I see it.

Mr. Houdini Guest

The way I heard it a year or so ago is that the plan is for a Chinese auto maker to set up shop in Detroit proper and bring in their Chinese workers to work the lines at minimum wage rates. Their workers would be happy to make minimum wage and live in the squalid conditions of Detroit. It would be a step up from their environment in China for them. There will be a huge influx of Chinese into Detroit City in the coming decade. And that is good news. Save up to open your new Chinese restaurants.

what needs to happen is to incentivize Chinese companies to set up shop in urban Detroit, renovate abandoned warehouses and factories, and hire locals to work at these new businesses. whether it's automotive, tech, bio-energy, distribution, etc.

A Chinese company recently bought the former Saginaw Steering Gear division of GM [[Actually, the division was spun off to Delphi but was reacquired by GM as part of their mutual bankruptcies since GM needed it to supply parts.) It currently has 3500 employees. Used to have 14,500. The union agreed to new contract terms dictated by the Chinese as a condition of closing the sale.