Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Google Map Mystery -- Winslow, Arizona area

I am not having a speck of luck adding this image from Google maps. I will put the tinyurl link in and hope it works.

When you go to Winslow, Arizona and choose the Satellite view, you can see two formations in the topography to the southwest. One looks like Pegasus, the other who knows. I first thought Icarus, I guess because of Pegasus, but now it could be something else. What are these things? Anyone know?

http://tinyurl.com/48odud4

They look like mesas

They are mesas. And that white spot above them is the famous Meteor Crater. And Winslow's gas stations are always 50c above the going rate. Avoid gassing there if possible; try to make it to Flagstaff.

Ray is right, just zoom in on them.

For you Eagles fans:
    http://www.standinonthecorner.com/

I've actually been to Winslow and the Meteor Crater. In fact, on another thread I recounted taking the Contour SVT up to the rev limiter on the road to Meteor Crater.

I laughed when I saw the billboard in Winslow with the Eagles lyrics on it. But aside from a Burger King, that's about all they have, so...

Never been to Winslow, but was out at the AZ/NM border for a month or so. I have yet to find a better way to start the day than sitting on a porch swing, sipping coffee and watching the sun poke up over a Mesa

In Google Maps you can use Ctrl uparrow to tilt the view so you can see them from the side. You can get to a point of view below the top of the mesa. It's fun to do this inside the Grand Canyon too.

Thank you all. I looked some more and surmised they were mesas after awhile. I have been through Winslow, too, and couldn't remember anything like this. It was their appearance from the air that caught my eye. There is a sculpted appearance, and if you look closely, you can see a gargoyle face at the lower right side of the mesa to southeast. The gargoyle is facing west.

Jimaz, that is cool! I was wishing I could hit a tilt button somehow.

It's interesting that in this somewhat random sampling of people, at least three have been to a town on the other side of the country that presents almost no reason for people to visit it.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't say no reason. It is a fairly impressive hole in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    They are mesas. And that white spot above them is the famous Meteor Crater. And Winslow's gas stations are always 50c above the going rate. Avoid gassing there if possible; try to make it to Flagstaff.

I live in Flag right now. The gas prices are better here.

gazhekwe, you'll surely enjoy the Badlands Guardian located here.

So cool, Jimaz, you are right, I like it very much.