Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Daily Press owners say sabotage killed their newspaper

January 18, 2011 2:25 PM
    Owners of defunct Detroit Daily Press allege fifth columnists sabotaged their newspaper

Remember the print journalism experiment that was Detroit Daily Press?
    It's back, at least in court.
    The owners of the defunct the Royal Oak-based newspaper that lasted for a week in November 2009 have filed lawsuit in Oakland County Circuit Court against some of its distributors.
    The suit names three individual distributors and two sub-distributors, claiming "breach of contract to destroying the Detroit Daily Press' business and fraud" according to a statement issued today by the owners.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...fth-columnists

DetroitDad Guest

You can't get more shifty than CVS/Caremark right now. Stay faaaaar away from them right now.

If you ever read that rag you'd know, they didn't have the chops or idea how to put out a first rate paper.
    You have to plan out distribution as carefully as you do the content of the paper. They failed on both accounts.
    I was hoping they could pull it off. In the end, they looked like amateurs.

I mean now who cares? All this looks like is sour grapes.

Whatever happened to Steve Wilson?

What's hilarious is the examiner.com story that claims the Free Press started a $1 Monday-Wednesday paper for sale in stores and in news boxes only after the mighty DDP folded.

The writer, an unbiased DDP vet, truly doesn't understand that the Freep and News have always been available daily, as a print product, just not delivered Monday-Wed. to homes [[and now freelancers do offer that service)?
    http://www.examiner.com/city-buzz-in...per-s-demise-1

What are there still two dailies in Detroit? Is the "Joint Operating Agreement" of the '90s still in effect? I can't imagine why. Having lived in San Diego and Charlotte, NC since leaving Detroit, those big cities have only one daily, as does LA with the LA Times.

Has the Free Press and News been making money in recent years. How many people do they employ?

That's right except, oh, the Los Angeles Daily News -- dailynews.com ...

Or the African-American L.A Sentinel or all the Spanish-language daily newspapers.

When I lived in San Diego until early '09, I had the LA Times and San Diego Union Tribune delivered. I don't recall the LA Daily News. I buy a local paper wherever I travel. I will look at the Daily News site. Too bad newspapers are struggling with investigative reporting suffering as a result. The San Diego Union Tribune broke the Randy "Duke" Cunningham corruption story in '06 that resulted in his eight year prison sentence.

I have a 1957 Detroit Times football calendar poster that lists the schedules of the Lions, Mich, MSU, and U. of Detroit. I think the Detroit Times went out of biz in 1960.