Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wayne State gets a new president

... and shockers, the new president is not female or a member of a "minority" group. Could it be they actually hired the best candidate based on qualifications?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/26531856/detail.html

What kind of back-handed compliment is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    ... and shockers, the new president is not female or a member of a "minority" group. Could it be they actually hired the best candidate based on qualifications?

Now tell us how you really feel???

I guess that those of us who were born females from "minority groups" can never be the best candidate or the most qualified. *chuckle* Thanks so much for the vote of confidence.

Yeah God knows a woman or minority would never be quailfied for a position like this

We received the email several hours ago. Everyone was surprised. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

I guess ML King's dream is dead, Malcove is judging people by skin color not content of character... Oh and he likes to look to see if they have a schlong too.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-18-11 at 07:58 PM.

ROFLMAO at Malcove Magnesia.... FYI dude.... Allan Gilmore IS part of a "minority" group.... he's gay!
    Last edited by Gistok; January-18-11 at 10:39 PM.

Get off it. The guy is 76 years old. Obviously the Board yielded to the Senior Citizen minority groups. As a member of that group, I say Huzzah! We oldsters have been shunted aside for too damn long. I think we should have a National Holiday for old folks. Oooops.....'senior' folks.

Damn young whippersnappers, can't see the forest for the trees.

^Ray1936 for the win. Our shock isn't because President Gilmour is white OR male, it's because he's been retired -- twice. The presidents before Noren, Reid and Adamany, stayed for quite a while... I think that Gilmour's term is for the next 3-5 years [[will have to read our email again).

Of course, more senior faculty will have more informed opinions, but right now, I'm in "wait and see" mode. We also have a new provost [[started this year) and a new dean [[will start in July), so it's interesting times at Cass and Warren.

DetroitPole Guest

Uh...because Jay Noren and David Adamany were such minority women? And because before them we had so many minority presidents of WSU [[hint: zero)?

I've begun to realize that socio-political discourse in 2011 America no longer needs to have any bearing on reality.

Maybe Irvin Reid was a Muslim and not a United States citizen too, right? Can you toss "death panels" in there somewhere too?

Until Wayne State ups their admission requirements, they are just another community college. That degree is about as valuable as one from an online school.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    ^Ray1936 for the win. Our shock isn't because President Gilmour is white OR male, it's because he's been retired -- twice.
    Sounds like an interim president to me. Maybe he won't want much money.

Gilmour is a HARVARD grad. That's somthing that the WSU Board of Directors are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherboy View Post
    Until Wayne State ups their admission requirements, they are just another community college. That degree is about as valuable as one from an online school.
    It's not the admission requirements that make the degree, it's the academic requirements. It's hard to graduate from Wayne State. They give everybody a chance to, but only about a third of students actually graduate.

^Ray1936 for the win. Our shock isn't because President Gilmour is white OR male, it's because he's been retired -- twice. The presidents before Noren, Reid and Adamany, stayed for quite a while... I think that Gilmour's term is for the next 3-5 years [[will have to read our email again).

Of course, more senior faculty will have more informed opinions, but right now, I'm in "wait and see" mode. We also have a new provost [[started this year) and a new dean [[will start in July), so it's interesting times at Cass and Warren.

Noren was only president for about 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Noren was only president for about 2 years.
    That's exactly what I meant. The two presidents before Noren -- Reid and Adamany, stayed longer than a couple of years and greatly influenced the Wayne State of today. Reid is still around, bringing world leaders to campus through his FOCIS series.

That's exactly what I meant. The two presidents before Noren -- Reid and Adamany, stayed longer than a couple of years and greatly influenced the Wayne State of today. Reid is still around, bringing world leaders to campus through his FOCIS series.

OK, I misread that the first time. I've been at WSU 4 years and we're already on our third president!

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherboy View Post
    Tens of thousands of living alumni prove you wrong every day. I am one of them. WSU is easy to get into, but when you finish from one of the quality programs [[admittedly, not all of our departments are up to par, something that central administration is shaking up right now) you can go anywhere and do just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    OK, I misread that the first time. I've been at WSU 4 years and we're already on our third president!
    I know... I am brand new and Noren was president when I was hired, we had Vroom as acting prez, and now Gilmour. The new provost seems like he is a keeper. He is very ambitious and is already making changes.

I agree. I've had limited interactions with the new Provost so far, but he definitely is looking at everything and wants as much input from faculty about how to improve things as he can get. He has already identified some of the entrenched problems here.

Malcontent of Amnesia.

Malcontent of Amnesia.

"It's not the admission requirements that make the degree, it's the academic requirements. It's hard to graduate from Wayne State. They give everybody a chance to, but only about a third of students actually graduate."

That means when you go to a school like UM, U of Chicago, you are in a classroom with the best and the brightest. When you go to Wayne State, the person who is working with you on a group project still can't pass Math 101 and is taking a remidial class.

When Wayne State is a top 100 university in the US World and News Reports - come talk to me.

I dunno. I have more respect for a skilled tradesman than I do for a PhD in French Medieval History. And the skilled tradesman doesn't have an outstanding $125,000 student loan to worry about.

Take your shots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast