Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Getting from Metro Airport to the Auto Show [[this weekend)

Like most on this forum, I am puzzled by the lack of transit between Metro Airport and Downtown; especially during the Auto Show. For example, I am flying in to town from Washington on Saturday morning and have no way to get downtown that does not involve an expensive cab [[it seems from the SMART website that the 202 bus does not run on Saturdays). How can this be?

Though I can rant for pages about how Detroit needs a light rail link from downtown to the airport [[a logical first step ala Minneapolis – and better than M1); that is a pipe dream when the Woodward Line can’t even break ground. However, why can’t there be even basic bus service? Or simply a shuttle running from the Airport to Cobo during the Auto Show?? [[2 weeks a year).

Nevertheless, I am searching for answers. Is there anything to do that does not involve renting a car or taking a cab? I have priced both and the cheapest is $40.

I am staying at the Book Cadillac and unlike functioning cities there is no airport shuttle, so that is out of the question too….I just called and checked.

To conclude; this is yet another reason why people do not want to do business in this city. Basic, logical services are not offered. Who wants to put a HQ downtown when every employee that flies out needs to use an expensive car service? Who wants to have a conference here when the participants can’t get there? Why not go to Chicago when the EL does the job for $2.25. Sorry to rant, it’s just frustrating when I try to help by spending money [[for bars and food, not cabs) in the city and can’t even get there.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Like most on this forum, I am puzzled by the lack of transit between Metro Airport and Downtown; especially during the Auto Show. For example, I am flying in to town from Washington on Saturday morning and have no way to get downtown that does not involve an expensive cab [[it seems from the SMART website that the 202 bus does not run on Saturdays). How can this be?

Though I can rant for pages about how Detroit needs a light rail link from downtown to the airport [[a logical first step ala Minneapolis – and better than M1); that is a pipe dream when the Woodward Line can’t even break ground. However, why can’t there be even basic bus service? Or simply a shuttle running from the Airport to Cobo during the Auto Show?? [[2 weeks a year).

Nevertheless, I am searching for answers. Is there anything to do that does not involve renting a car or taking a cab? I have priced both and the cheapest is $40.

I am staying at the Book Cadillac and unlike functioning cities there is no airport shuttle, so that is out of the question too….I just called and checked.

To conclude; this is yet another reason why people do not want to do business in this city. Basic, logical services are not offered. Who wants to put a HQ downtown when every employee that flies out needs to use an expensive car service? Who wants to have a conference here when the participants can’t get there? Why not go to Chicago when the EL does the job for $2.25. Sorry to rant, it’s just frustrating when I try to help by spending money [[for bars and food, not cabs) in the city and can’t even get there.

My guess is that this is something Detroit would have to cover the costs for since it wouldn't benefit the 'region'. That's how people think around these here parts.

muskie1 Guest

Well the reason for this is that there is no demand. To have a under utilized route or train that very few people care about will never happen here. The suburbs want nothing to do with a long rage system like this and the city does not value outsiders coming in to visit. That is at least how most of the people who are in power look at it. We live in a pretty slow moving area when it comes to issues like this. Just remember when you fork over your 40 bucks that your own hotel does not even give a crap about how you get there.

Nothing changes in metro Detroit until it reaches crisis proportions. I would love to hop on a train to go see games, eat out, bar hop etc. in Detroit but the car is still the king here. Maybe one day when our already thin wallets dry up and blow away then the powers that be will react. I do know a pretty safe hitchhiking route from there though.

Dude.. It's called the "Auto" show. Duh?

The Fort St-Eureka Rd route doesn't run on the weekends? I'd double check that.

Quote Originally Posted by muskie1 View Post
    Well the reason for this is that there is no demand. To have a under utilized route or train that very few people care about will never happen here. The suburbs want nothing to do with a long rage system like this and the city does not value outsiders coming in to visit. That is at least how most of the people who are in power look at it. We live in a pretty slow moving area when it comes to issues like this. Just remember when you fork over your 40 bucks that your own hotel does not even give a crap about how you get there.

Nothing changes in metro Detroit until it reaches crisis proportions. I would love to hop on a train to go see games, eat out, bar hop etc. in Detroit but the car is still the king here. Maybe one day when our already thin wallets dry up and blow away then the powers that be will react. I do know a pretty safe hitchhiking route from there though.
    I agree with what you said about the hotel..it is not the City of Detroit's fault if the Westin Book Cadillac does not have shuttle service to and from the airport.

You could catch the shuttle to the Hyatt and from there take the bus to the B-C [[I think it runs down Michigan Ave from Fairlane). It's a bit sneaky but the Hyatt lists one of their amenities as an airport shuttle.

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    I agree with what you said about the hotel..it is not the City of Detroit's fault if the Westin Book Cadillac does not have shuttle service to and from the airport.
    Yeah , if I was going to any city and paying top dollar for a room and needed a lift from the airport I would think they would have a provision for this.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    I think you might be forgetting that shady little McNamara deal with Metro Cars, which gave them exclusive [[or superior) access to Metro Airport. I don't remember all the details, but the arrangement basically shut out all other forms of transit. I always found it curious that Metro Cars [[a luxury service) still provides cheaper service between the airport and downtown than even basic taxi cabs. If you don't believe me, look it up. Long-story-short, there's probably some barrier, such as heavy entry fees charged to other transit service providers, such as shuttles that would otherwise be offered by Book-Cadillac.
    Last edited by BrushStart; January-18-11 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    You could catch the shuttle to the Hyatt and from there take the bus to the B-C [[I think it runs down Michigan Ave from Fairlane). It's a bit sneaky but the Hyatt lists one of their amenities as an airport shuttle.
    That's an option, but damn is it kind of crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I think you might be forgetting that shady little McNamara deal with Metro Cars, which gave them exclusive [[or superior) access to Metro Airport. I don't remember all the details, but the arrangement basically shut out all other forms of transit. I always found it curious that Metro Cars [[a luxury service) still provides cheaper service between the airport and downtown than even basic taxi cabs. If you don't believe me, look it up. Long-story-short, there's probably some barrier, such as heavy entry fees charged to other transit service providers, such as shuttles that would otherwise be offered by Book-Cadillac.
    I have used Metro Cars many times to get back and forth from the airport. But I've only used the service where they picked me up at my house.

Metro Cars also runs Metro Cab. I took metrocab from the airport to warrendlae a few weeks back for $30.

If you're so concerned about the cost of things, why are you staying at the most expensive hotel in the City? You can get a similar room for a lot less by calling around. The teacher has good advice. Stay at Fairlane and take the 200 SMART downtown. This will also put you in better shape should you want to get to the Henry Ford.

The 202 is not going to take you anywhere. Take the 125, runs all the way downtown from the airport and runs on the weekends too. The stop is nearly impossible to find at the McNamara terminal, the terminal website describes it like this: "SMART buses now stop on the outer roadway [[lower level) near the Ground Transportation offices at the North Terminal." Ask someone as there are no signs pointing the way. Since the 125 route alternates between terminals each hour, if you find yourself at the wrong one, you can hop the Terminal to Terminal Shuttle for free. Again the location of this has been changed and is also not clearly marked, so ask someone.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Metro Cars also runs Metro Cab. I took metrocab from the airport to warrendlae a few weeks back for $30.

If you're so concerned about the cost of things, why are you staying at the most expensive hotel in the City? You can get a similar room for a lot less by calling around. The teacher has good advice. Stay at Fairlane and take the 200 SMART downtown. This will also put you in better shape should you want to get to the Henry Ford.
    I'm staying at the Book Caddilac because my friend works for Westin and got me the "Friends and Family Rate"; thus making is cheaper or at least on par with the rest of the hotels downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    The 202 is not going to take you anywhere. Take the 125, runs all the way downtown from the airport and runs on the weekends too. The stop is nearly impossible to find at the McNamara terminal, the terminal website describes it like this: "SMART buses now stop on the outer roadway [[lower level) near the Ground Transportation offices at the North Terminal." Ask someone as there are no signs pointing the way. Since the 125 route alternates between terminals each hour, if you find yourself at the wrong one, you can hop the Terminal to Terminal Shuttle for free. Again the location of this has been changed and is also not clearly marked, so ask someone.
    Who at the airport can I call and scream at about this? In any other city, EVEN in America, there would be large signs saying "Bus to Downtown" with directions, as soon as you get to baggage claim.