Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Belfors Sheldon Yellen Blows Cover On Undercover Boss

I hope I am putting this in the right place.

The first restoration company that I ever worked for was called Quality Construction. After I had been there for a bit, they changed the name to Inrecon for insurance reconstruction. When I worked for them, they were on the SW corner of Tireman and Schaefer.

Now, they are a global restoration company. Here is an article, plus the episode. I haven't had a chance to watch it, yet, but I heard it was one of the better episodes.

Belfors Sheldon Yellen Blows Cover On Undercover Boss
    The show Undercover Boss airs on CBS and allows CEO's of their companies to go into the workings of the company in disguise. These owners work the lowest jobs on the corporate food chain and get to see the everyday people who affect their bottom dollar.
    Last night was Belfors Sheldon Yellen's turn.
    As a billion dollar disaster recovery service the company was founded in the 1980's in Michigan. A large company that is quite successful, Belfor is not a household name. Servicing international customers Belfors Sheldon Yellen claims his company's success has been due to,
    "an intensely people-focused corporate culture savvy in buying and successfully integrating similar businesses"
    Last night on CBS he had the chance to go undercover and see the inner workings of his company. Owners like Yellen worked alongside the employees that allow him to live in luxury. The workers that make the actual difference in the company earnings were his co-wrokers during the undercover gig.
    Last night was little different. After working with a female employee deep in the trenches, he decided to reveal himself and award her a long awaited raise in pay. Good publicity for Belfors Sheldon Yellen and an even better day for his employee.
    This reveal was shocking as the whole point to the show was that the CEO or owner remain in character. While the experiment was foiled, the employee’s satisfaction made an even better episode and now everyone will know Belfors Sheldon Yellen and his company. That is the point of the show, isn't it?

http://entertainment.gather.com/view...81474978936322

The hulu page links me to CBS, so the video won't link directly. This is the hulu page with some bonus videos: http://www.hulu.com/search?query=und...elfor&st=1&fs=

It was one of the better episodes. Yes, this show is to promote the various companies, but also to teach CEO's about their employees and how they work to make the money for the companies.

The thing I liked more about this episode was that Sheldon Yellen really seemed to care more about his employees in general...not just the specific ones he worked with. He did more for the specific workers he met than other CEO's have done. He seemed truly moved by the efforts that his workers put in to keep his company moving. He actually commented about how the employees struggled and here he was getting on his corporate jet to go home.

Overall, I like this show...but I wish that the CEO's did more for employee's in general, than for the two or three employees they meet as they work "undercover".

What Blue ^^^ said.

I love this show, and Sheldon Yellen hit it outta the park IMO. Him allowing those emotions to show up throughout the episode was very moving.

I wish more bosses cared about their employees well being in general.

This was the first Undercover Boss show I've ever watched and I couldn't tell if Sheldon was genuine or if this was a master manipulation by an eeeevil Republican CEO.

In the end, I'm voting "genuine" since Sheldon is indeed from here and in general, Michigan people are not nearly as likely to be phony as West/East coasters. If only more CEO's would come down from their ivory towers & private jets to work alongside the hoi palloi.

I am still waiting for some quiet time to watch this episode. I think I am a little nervous about watching it, too. Belfor has really blossomed into a global company. I knew people that worked there when they just did awnings, and I worked there when they were getting heavy duty into restoration.

I know the article that I posted said they started up in the 80s. That is only true for the restoration part. They were an awning company in the late 60s and 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    The hulu page links me to CBS, so the video won't link directly. This is the hulu page with some bonus videos: http://www.hulu.com/search?query=und...elfor&st=1&fs=
    Hello Bella: Thanks for the link - I enjoyed it. Everyone should watch it. The entire show is contained in the box at the upper lefthand corner of the screen.

And don't miss some of the extra bonus clips. Check out the one were Brenda eats Yellen's lunch.

The reason why that company is so big is because they probably do mostly insurance work and charge big money. I remember i had a fire at my house and the restoration company charged my insurance company over $10,000 just to board up a door and install temporary lights.

But overall good eposode, and it really shows that this guy cares for his employees by taking care of them the way he did.

I finally had a chance to watch this episode and all of the clips. I wish my uncle was still alive to see this. He worked for Belfor when they were still an awning company many, many years ago.

Sheldon has certainly mellowed out a lot.

The one thing I miss about that particular company was going out of town to work. I have tons of pictures of the jobs we used to go on. The next time I go to storage I am going to pull them out.