Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Comerica to Acquire Houston Bank

Apparently their strategy in Texas was so successful that they have to buy out another bank to still have more customers in Michigan than texas...

http://www.freep.com/article/2011011...ank-in-1B-deal

Its appalling that they left this area. What happened to the days of LOCAL banking? Do you think if that skyscraper they wanted to build in the 80s would have been built they might have stayed?

Caesar Pelli's 30 story tower planned for the Ford Auditorium site would likely have made little difference in keeping Comerica HQed here in Michigan. The 45 story One Detroit Center Building that was their HQ was a taller more prominent building anyway... so their downtown Detroit HQ location was of no consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Caesar Pelli's 30 story tower planned for the Ford Auditorium site would likely have made little difference in keeping Comerica HQed here in Michigan. The 45 story One Detroit Center Building that was their HQ was a taller more prominent building anyway... so their downtown Detroit HQ location was of no consequences.
    Agreed. Comerica is gone and I no longer do business with them.

DetroitPole Guest

I had an account with Comerica until they abandoned us. I went to their former headquarters building and told them I wanted to close my account because they were leaving Michigan. Some fat, slimey banker pleaded with me to keep my money but no way.

I joined a local credit union based in MICHIGAN with many branches in Detroit. I have been happy with them for years.

Corporations need to realize that their actions DO have consequences, but only we can tell them. Though it is David verses Goliath, to be sure...

I'm under the impression they moved their HQ due to the preferences of their executives. If now, years later, they still have more customers in Michigan, I don't see how their decision makes business sense.