Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Livonia PO Killed in Shootout

Last Updated: January 17. 2011 11:02PM
    Undercover Livonia officer dies in Walled Lake shootout
    The Detroit News / The Detroit News

Walled Lake— An undercover Livonia police officer and a suspect were killed Monday night in a shootout involving the investigation of a crime ring, officials said.

The officer, Larry Nehasil, had been tracking suspects believed to be involved in a series of home break-ins in Livonia and other areas, Livonia Police Chief Robert Stevenson said Monday night.

Nehasil was part of the Intelligence Bureau of a multi-jurisdiction task force. He was "marked as a police officer," Stevenson said.

When he confronted one of the suspects near West Maple and Glenwood, gunfire was exchanged and Nehasil and one unidentified suspect were killed; a second suspect, who also was not identified, was taken into custody by Oakland County Sheriff's Office.

Walled Lake Police and the Sheriff's Office spent hours investigating the shooting, blocking off parts of the neighborhood of spacious homes and large lawns near the Commerce Township border.

http://detnews.com/article/20110117/...-Lake-shootout

That's messed up. My condolences to Officer Nehasil's family & friends.

NorthEndere Guest

My very initial thought on this is that it sounds like this didn't have to happen; that this could have been handled in a smarter way where the crook would have been caught and everyone would have still had their lives. I await further details.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    It's not luck, it's savvy, and for those of us who aren't cops, that's all we got. At least he had the opportunity to defend himself. You and me, we try and defend ourselves with hatchets, baseball bats, etc., and who is the first to come down on our asses? Cops. What planet are you from?
    Pingu...it sounds as if you're some sort of rebel militant, who wishes he could just
    handle all incursions his own way, by whatever means necessary.
    Well guess what; that's not how it's handled in civilized society.
    Sure, the Police may not be perfect...we do live in an imperfect world, but
    how would it be here, in America, if we did not have Police, marshaling the streets?
    Perhaps in other Nations, that's how it is done, but here, in this country, we like
    to believe we've advanced and matured from our childhoods, where we played
    cops and robbers, and little trucky.
    Things can get real serious out there, as a result of the multitudes who
    "Just Don't Get It" !!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't get, that as an adult human being, you're supposed to contribute
    to society. You pull your weight. You chip in. You clean-up after yourself.
    You do your work, for your reward.
    But it's 'Easier' to do it the other way, and it makes one bitter when one sees
    the happiness others have achieved when they work diligently for what they have.
    ...So they lash out...sometimes with unkind words of their twisted wisdom,
    sometimes with violence. They can't articulate their twisted points of view,
    so they attempt to force the issue. That's where the Police of the world
    step in and try to dissuade them from harming others, because it's WRONG.
    Look it up in the dictionary, another tool we civilized people like to utilize.
    So, as this LONG lesson comes near it's end, I summarize with.......
    It is a Sad and Tragic day, when a police officer, doing his sworn duty to protect
    the civilized citizens of his community.....Is Killed...by some low life, who could
    give a rats ass about civilized society, or working for a living, or upholding
    the rights of others to exist, and be safe, happy, and......ALIVE.
    So go back to your Savvy, rough, do it yourself neighborhood, on Planet
    "I Don't Give A Fuck" and leave us to our mourning for a fallen officer.
    ...Happy hatcheting.

DetroitPole Guest

I work in a "bad" neighborhood. Being from Detroit this doesn't bother me at all. There have been some shootings, homicides. But all my encounters with the "locals" have been positive, thanks to my Detroit upbringing. Never once have I considered "packing" or wearing a kevlar vest. I'm bummed about the cop. but what does all this have to do with the average citizen? Seriously.

What does all this have to do with the average citizen? Let's see, one of our fellow Metro Detroiters, a police officer, was killed in the line of duty, while tracking criminals who had been terrorizing a neighborhood. When I look at his picture I think of someone who could be my neighbor who has loved ones, a family, who was someone's son.

I live in Detroit too, and I have lived in not-nice parts of it as well, but that doesn't make me indifferent to human suffering. I guess I'm not as hardened as you.

By the way, you didn't grow up in a South African township, Trenchtown, Port-au-Prince, or Juarez, so get over yourself. You're not rambo or a drug kingpin.

Very sad story...

I agree that this is upsetting.
    In a perfect world, we would also have perfect cops too.
    Unfortunately, we live in a world where there is a lot of gray
    and thing aren't always in black in white.
    This does seem a shame because it was a property crime being committed.
    I've never had a problem with cops but some people have and that's unfortunate.
    This guy seemed to be doing his job right and that makes this situation
    hard to swallow.

I have been a Livonia Resident for many years, and am the daughter of a 30+ year veteran Detroit Police Officer. I have other relatives and friends who are also officers. It is easy to play arm chair quaterback, but unless you are or have been in law enforcement, you have no idea what it is like. Say a prayer for the fallen officer and his family. He put his life on the line every time he put his uniform on and went to work. Thank God for people like him, who put others before themselves. He made the ultimate sacrifice, May he Rest in Peace.
    Last edited by detroitbred; January-18-11 at 10:23 AM. Reason: error

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    What does all this have to do with the average citizen? Let's see, one of our fellow Metro Detroiters, a police officer, was killed in the line of duty, while tracking criminals who had been terrorizing a neighborhood. When I look at his picture I think of someone who could be my neighbor who has loved ones, a family, who was someone's son.

I live in Detroit too, and I have lived in not-nice parts of it as well, but that doesn't make me indifferent to human suffering. I guess I'm not as hardened as you.

By the way, you didn't grow up in a South African township, Trenchtown, Port-au-Prince, or Juarez, so get over yourself. You're not rambo or a drug kingpin.
    I agree with DetroitPole. A person lost their life in a tragic event and will be missed by many. As far as the "what does this have to do with the average citizen" it has alot to do with all law abiding citizens. I really think that if this guy was desperate enough to use a gun on a police officer that eventually a homeowner who walked in on one of the burglaries would have been a victim ,or even worse a whole family. So this has quite a bit more to do with the average citizen than alot of things that happen to us.

I work in a "bad" neighborhood. Being from Detroit this doesn't bother me at all. There have been some shootings, homicides. But all my encounters with the "locals" have been positive, thanks to my Detroit upbringing. Never once have I considered "packing" or wearing a kevlar vest. I'm bummed about the cop. but what does all this have to do with the average citizen? Seriously.
    "What does this have to do with the average citizen?" Are you serious?

"Being from Detroit this doesn't bother me at all." Again WTF????

This officer lost his life defending our community. It's sad that something like that "doesn't bother you". Honestly, the only thing about this story that "doesn't bother me" is that one of the scumbag crooks is lying in the morgue. Thank you Officer Larry Nehasil!

For a few years in the 90's my landscaping company maintained the entrances to the sub where this shooting took place, so I am quite familiar with the area. The majority of the residents there are young families with children and a few elderly couples. It's also about 50 yards from an elementary school, so the fact that there was open gun fire is even more concerning.

I notice 'Pingu' removed his post.
    Good idea. That sort of commentary is better off left within your mind,
    not spewed forth for others' consumption.
    Next time, THINK first.

What I can't figure out is how a robber could have found the homeowners loaded gun in just a matter of minutes.
    I don't know the legal aspects, but why did'nt the cops move in as soon as the home was breached by these guys ? Do they have to walk out with the "loot" to have a solid case ?

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    What I can't figure out is how a robber could have found the homeowners loaded gun in just a matter of minutes.
    I don't know the legal aspects, but why did'nt the cops move in as soon as the home was breached by these guys ? Do they have to walk out with the "loot" to have a solid case ?
    I would think they would want to wait for them to walk out because they where outside waiting. Probably more risk walking into a house you no nothing about. When I had a gun at home I use to target shoot with, I always had a trigger lock on it and the clip hidden. I live alone but always was worried about someone breaking in and being able to easily use it.

Sounds like the felons knew the homeowner; perhaps they knew he had a gun and where it was?

In related news, don't let your emotions get in the way when confronting burglars:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011011...n-2009-killing

[[Or move to a county with more empathetic jurors.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Do you have a link for the article stating that the gun used belonged to the homeowner? I don't see any mention of it above. My guess is that the gun was probably stolen from one of their previous burglaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Do you have a link for the article stating that the gun used belonged to the homeowner? I don't see any mention of it above. My guess is that the gun was probably stolen from one of their previous burglaries.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._larry_ne.html

I stand corrected. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Sounds like the felons knew the homeowner; perhaps they knew he had a gun and where it was?
    These guys were career criminals with past b & e offenses. For the pros, it takes them no time to ransack a house & find what items they deem of value to take.

I learned something new today.

From today's Detroit News: Burglars at home across Metro Detroit area
    Michigan law

What typically had been called burglary years ago is now called a home invasion in Michigan if someone breaks into a home. If they break into a commercial business, it's called breaking and entering.

Home invasion

Felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 20 years.

Breaking and entering

A felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 10 years.
    So apparently even if no one's home at the time of the crime, it's still called a home invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    These guys were career criminals with past b & e offenses. For the pros, it takes them no time to ransack a house & find what items they deem of value to take.
    I understand that, but as various reports have indicated, they were not there to burglarize the home, they were there to collect a debt. I'm wondering what the relationship was between the home owner and the felons.

NorthEndere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I learned something new today.

From today's Detroit News: Burglars at home across Metro Detroit areaSo apparently even if no one's home at the time of the crime, it's still called a home invasion.
    Thanks, I'd been noticing the media all over the state using "home invasion", lately, for all kinds of burglaries, and it seems to have changed within the last decade, or so. It used to be a home invasion took place if the occupants were in the home, and simply burglarizing the house was called a burglary.

Mike it is my understanding they where going to a different location to collect a debt. They saw the homeowner of the house they broke into leave and they decided to break into it.

Okay, the news reports were kind of vague on that point.