Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Burroughs is back as a Detroit area entity

Burroughs corporation which at one time was the world's second largest computer company appears to back as a separate local entity. Burroughs had a very large presence in Detroit. They built their headquarters just south of the GM building in the New Center now used by Henry Ford Hospital. That originally was their first plant. They also had 2 plants on Tireman, one on each side of the Detroit/Dearborn border. They had a very large plant on Plymouth Road in Plymouth. They also had a factory in Wayne Michigan and numerous service offices. In addition they had a company run [[amusement?) park on half a lake in Livingston company [[Burroughs Farms). Recently one aspect of the company [[Unisis) spun off a payment division at the Plymouth Road factory. They had merged with Sperry Rand and become Unisis. Ultimately they moved the headquarters to Philly and only the Plymouth Road facility existed in a much reduced capacity. Is anyone out there who knows the status today and whether this aspect of the company can grow.

Ummmm are you asking... or are you telling? Your thread title and post don't quite match?

Also... in bringing up "UNISYS"... you reminded me of 3 words I hate.... BLUE BELL PA

Also... you reminded me of a "former politician" I hate who moved it to the aforementioned place...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Michael_Blumenthal
    Last edited by Gistok; January-18-11 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ummmm are you asking... or are you telling? Your thread title and post don't quite match?

Also... in bringing up "UNISYS"... you reminded me of 3 words I hate.... BLUE BELL PA

Also... you reminded me of a "former politician" I hate who moved it to the aforementioned place...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Michael_Blumenthal
    Yup, the sucker [[Blumenthal) threw us overboard. Hate is correct.

My grandpa worked for Burroughs for a while back in the 80s after retiring from Ford. I still remember when they tore down the Burrough's smokestack in Plymouth. Sad day...

As a kid I loved that smokestack for some reason. Wasn't the name Burroughs spelled out in white brick?
    Still a cool building. I can remember playing soccer in the field right next to the building, not sure if kids are still playing there.

I had a great uncle and aunt who worked for Burroughs. The Farms was not an amusement park. It was simply a private park that was open to the employees of the company and thier families. I can recall going there a few times for family picnics.

What does all of this historical talk have to do with the company being back as a new entity?

is this just talking about techtwo? if not, where's the meat to this story?

Sorry all, I just started going back when I heard the name Burroughs...

My mom worked there during the 1980s. She told me that the employee parking lot across Haggerty was covering up a chemical waste dump. I have no idea if this is true or not, but they have only recently put a temporary structure on the site and have never developed the land in any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    My mom worked there during the 1980s. She told me that the employee parking lot across Haggerty was covering up a chemical waste dump. I have no idea if this is true or not, but they have only recently put a temporary structure on the site and have never developed the land in any other way.
    That parking lot, if you recall, was home to the temporary courthouse while the new one was being built.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Sorry all, I just started going back when I heard the name Burroughs...
    Was not my point at all. I read the original post and it says the company is back in business in Detroit. There is nothing that substantiates that. The closest I can find is this furniture/fixture company in K-zoo. http://www.borroughs.com/OurCompany/...hsHistory.aspx

Crain's wrote about the return of the Burroughs name in February 2010:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/100209919

Unisys check-processing operations sold; Burroughs name returns to metro Detroit

By Dustin Walsh
    The Burroughs name is returning to metro Detroit.

El-Segundo, Calif.-based private equity firm, Marlin Equity Partners, has acquired Unisys Corp.’s check-processing and payment business and formed a new company, Burroughs Payment Systems Inc.

Burroughs will be headquartered at the former Unisys Plymouth location with expectations of adding 50 jobs over the next 15 months, according to a release.

Burroughs will retain Unisys’s 475 employees worldwide, including 200 at Plymouth.

I guess that explains why the Burroughs name is not found on the Unisis home page outside of the 'company history' section!

Did you guys know William S Burroughs, the writer/poet was grandson of William S Burroughs founder of what later became the Burroughs adding Machine company?

My mother worked there 35 years and retired in 82. She's still alive and recently told me that Burroughs was back. I hadn't read the Cranes article. Did go to their website. Oftentimes when a company spins something off all hell breaks loose [[Delphi etc and so on). Was wondering if anyone knew what the long term prognosis was.

As for the history I just felt so many people on Detroit Yes are really young and have never heard of many of the large companies that existed in Detroit like Burroughs, Parke Davis, Kelvinator, Detrola radios, American Electric Heater co., Chris Craft etc. Not everything was automotive.

This is a Burroughs ad with a Cadillac endorsement I scanned from an old Saturday Evening Post copy from 1920. Another world...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Confusing thread. I'm not sure of its purpose.

My grandfather repaired Burroughs adding machines mostly for banks around Nebraska during the Great Depression. I inherited one of the hand punches he used.

Technically, I also worked for Burroughs Holding Company and Unisys during the transition of Sperry Flight Systems toward Honeywell Aerospace.

I'm just curious what, if anything, Burroughs is doing in Detroit today.

This is the text detail for the above advertisement;
    Attached Images Attached Images