Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Denby Renovation....What are they doing?

I read that Denby High School....[[can't recall the new name), is undergoing massive renovations. What exactly are they doing to it? Anyone know?

Here's what DPS put on its website

http://dpsschoolconstruction.org/denby-high-school/

Construction Complete: Fall 2011
    The $16.5 renovation of Denby High School includes the construction of a new commons area for student dining and other activities. A portion of the existing dining area will be re-purposed to provide adequate kitchen, serving, and delivery / receiving areas. The remaining space will be renovated to create a new multi-purpose area designed for use as a senior high school student dining room and as meeting space for student clubs and organizations. The media center will be repurposed to include two computer labs, a small group room, and a team room. The upper level of the center allows for observation of the lower level while also providing additional remodeled group meeting rooms. Classrooms will be modernized and upgrades will be made to the lighting and electrical systems. In addition, interior and exterior security upgrades are planned. A new entry vestibule will provide a single, secure point of entry for the school. Exterior upgrades planned are a new roof, a new parking layout, and new decorative fencing at the front of the building.

I think it's an effort to keep the kids on that side of town from sliding over to the high schools in Harper Woods and the Pointes. They're also rebuilding Finney, which is an Eastside enclave too.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post

The $16.5 renovation of Denby High School includes the construction of a new commons area for student dining and other activities. A portion of the existing dining area will be re-purposed to provide adequate kitchen, serving, and delivery / receiving areas. The remaining space will be renovated to create a new multi-purpose area designed for use as a senior high school student dining room and as meeting space for student clubs and organizations. The media center will be repurposed to include two computer labs, a small group room, and a team room. The upper level of the center allows for observation of the lower level while also providing additional remodeled group meeting rooms. Classrooms will be modernized and upgrades will be made to the lighting and electrical systems. In addition, interior and exterior security upgrades are planned. A new entry vestibule will provide a single, secure point of entry for the school. Exterior upgrades planned are a new roof, a new parking layout, and new decorative fencing at the front of the building.
    So the lunch room was OK in 1953 with over 4,000 students in the school [[it wasn't OK, it was very crowded), but now that they are down to 1,600 students, they need a larger lunch room?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    So the lunch room was OK in 1953 with over 4,000 students in the school [[it wasn't OK, it was very crowded), but now that they are down to 1,600 students, they need a larger lunch room?
    Kids are a bit fatter these days...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post

I graduated from there in 1975 and there were parts I thought could have been done a bit better. Didn't I see somewhere that they will be building a K-8 on the grounds, too? I am sure these renovations were sorely needed as there probably hasn't been much done for a long time.

Bring back the driver's training range.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Bring back the driver's training range.
    Please, God, NO!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Please, God, NO!!
    So many fond memories of Mr. Harms and Mr. Hauk. One of my favorites was when I took driver's training, they still had the big Dodges and Chryslers. The instructors were always on the track and were never on the loop by the front door of the portable facing Denby. We always wanted to punch it making that loop, but since the cars went so slow, all they could do was cough and misfire.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    So many fond memories of Mr. Harms and Mr. Hauk. One of my favorites was when I took driver's training, they still had the big Dodges and Chryslers. The instructors were always on the track and were never on the loop by the front door of the portable facing Denby. We always wanted to punch it making that loop, but since the cars went so slow, all they could do was cough and misfire.
    And we never went faster than 15 miles an hour, practiced on a freeway or met any traffic of appreciable amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And we never went faster than 15 miles an hour, practiced on a freeway or met any traffic of appreciable amounts.
    did you have to go to the drivers training office across from Osborn to take your first driving test? I remember when I parked after it was all over, I had to have been 3 ft from the curb - that parallel parking was a killer.

detroitjim Guest

What are they doing?

Why, just pissing away several million!

You Know

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    did you have to go to the drivers training office across from Osborn to take your first driving test? I remember when I parked after it was all over, I had to have been 3 ft from the curb - that parallel parking was a killer.
    I don't remember where I got my permit from, but it took me years to be able to parallel park. And we had some American Motors car that you couldn't see out the back window in so that was fun too.