Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ask a question about a Jeep.....

How come SHE has to fix lunch and do all the scrubbing when she was working on the Jeep, too, right alongside of him?

LDoolan Guest

Ask a stupid question, you'll get a stupid/smartass answer in return.........I'm glad she got her ass handed to her by the first reply.

That dame is typical of alot of women when it comes to a man & his cars. I have several cars ranging from 1919-1961, a couple are projects, most are restored but I'll be damned if some nimble little minx is going to make me get rid of them or even suggest that.

Quote Originally Posted by LDoolan View Post
    Ask a stupid question, you'll get a stupid/smartass answer in return.........I'm glad she got her ass handed to her by the first reply.

That dame is typical of alot of women when it comes to a man & his cars. I have several cars ranging from 1919-1961, a couple are projects, most are restored but I'll be damned if some nimble little minx is going to make me get rid of them or even suggest that.
    Could you post some pictures of your carpark? Would love to see it.

LDoolan Guest

Here's a few shots of my early stuff.

'31 Ford Truck

'29 Ford Sedan

'31 Ford Roadster the day I bought it. It's now down to bare metal and all apart so I can give it a correct restoration instead of the amateur job it had before.
    Last edited by LDoolan; January-15-11 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ldoolan View Post
    here's a few shots of my early stuff.
    respect!!!!

These restorations look more simple than modern cars. It's true that all mechanical components are less complicated than cars made more recent. But as older a car gets, spare parts are more difficult to obtain.

And you can put me in the Amateur section.... I once had a 1967 Beetle, turned out to be a relatively rare beast. The model had American bumpers, the high ones. [[European cars that had to comply to American laws sometimes had hideous additions just to meet the rules. One notorious example is the Jaguar E-type where the ïmproved" bumpers totally ruined the cars. The bumpers on the Beetle made it look actually better.)
    Furthermore it had a sunroof. Not a textile roll-back roof but a proper wind-it-up sunroof. Haven't seen a second one on the streets lately of that age. Anyway, sold it.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-15-11 at 06:47 PM.

LDoolan Guest

I had a '54 Beetle, with the oval back window. Great car, but I ended up trading it off for another car. One of these days when I get rich and build a bigger shop I'll have another one.

Far as the old cars go, yes they are simpler but there's things that don't correlate into modern times. Stuff like poured babbitt bearings instead of modern style inserts, grease fittings EVERYWHERE unlike new cars which have sealed tie rod ends, etc.

Another issue is some reproduction parts are pure shit.

I run my '31 Pickup as an everyday car, and can keep up with most traffic, with mechanical brakes you never have to worry about hydraulic leak
    Last edited by LDoolan; January-18-11 at 12:07 PM.

$3-k is a little high for a '96.

Quote Originally Posted by LDoolan View Post
    I run my '31 Pickup as an everyday car, and can keep up with most traffic, with mechanical brakes you never have to worry about hydraulic leak
    And you get massively strong ankles/calves