Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: OMG, Ikea!

Default OMG, Ikea!

There are many threads started on complaints...but I have to share this story, and some serious KUDOS to Ikea.

We got a French Press coffee 'machine' from them, sometime before Christmas...and it cracked with the fourth or fifth use. My honey said, 'just throw it out.'

I couldn't.

But wouldn't drive all the way across town, suffering that damned Ford Road exit and the maze of that store for ten buck's worth of shoddy material.

Had to go out to Canton/Westland for a few other things, and remembered to put that press in the car. Walked through the kitchen stuff without finding another like it...and NO salesperson until the next pass-through, and they had attitude. Bad attitude.

I took it over to returns, finding it despite the kitchen-furnishing person's very minimal instructions, and the person there took care of me and issued a store credit. Turns out they discontinued that item [[we joked that ALL of them must've broken!). All of this without a receipt, outside of the very clearly stated store policy.

I went back and wandered through the kitchen stuff again, to see if there was anything I could quickly spend my $10.59 store credit on...

...and got SIX stylish Pint glasses, TWO large brandy/cognac snifters, and a matching place-mat for the kitchen table. Total expenditure..without applying the credit...$11.62! Eleven dollars for all of that...let's hope these glass items last longer than the coffee press, but they look quite a bit better made.

That unhappy person with attitude back in home furnishings? Well...by the time the fun returns person was done with me...someone had thrown up in the middle of the section, and they were forced to guard it until the cleaners showed up.

Fitting, in my estimation. But it made me wonder about the yakker...were they exhausted from running that retail maze?! At least now Ikea has clear signage with graphics, and posted shortcuts.

To everything but the returns line...LOL.

Ikea has me for life now. It is the little things which truly count in customer service. A few good people MORE than make up for the one who may have been having a bad day, but karma took care of them.

btw, the Canton Guitar Center has great staff, too. One fellow somewhat sarcastically said he was "livin' the dream", but I had to remind him that anything on this side of the dirt may indeed be a dream. He took enough time to show me what I needed, for a small sale. Guitar Center has me for life, too...although I wish they had at least ONE store in the area with all of the little adapters they show on their website.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; January-14-11 at 12:29 PM.

"Dear Diary, ..."

Isn't this what Facebook is for?

lilpup Guest

Huh, I was at Ikea today, too, looking at mattresses since mine's shot - while there got the phone call rejecting me for advancement at my job...again...third time in less than a year. Three strikes - guess it's time to start looking for another employer, preferably one that pays more than welfare wages.

I was not at Ikea today, but I did have a decent salami sandwich that I made myself for lunch. Also some sliced apple and a Faygo Redpop.

I only eat salami sandwiches in summer, when I get this killer sweet rye bread from a swedish bakery on the other side of the state

I too wasn't at ikea, but am happy to report that my Ajrvah is working just fine. Used it twice this week, the wife seemed happy and even called it cute, once.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I too wasn't at ikea, but am happy to report that my Ajrvah is working just fine. Used it twice this week, the wife seemed happy and even called it cute, once.
    Hm. Not sure what an Ajrvah is, but thinking you should keep it between you and your wife.

No one wants to hear that his Ajrvah is "cute"

Gannon: Thanks for the info. It's nice to know that some stores still value customer service, at least in some respects.

I have seen everything from stores to restaurants to sights and sounds acknowledged, touted or denigrated on this forum. I see absolutely nothing wrong with Gannon voicing his opinion on this matter. Everyone getting cabin fever?

I was at Gilbert's Hardware today getting replacement glass for a storm window. Everyone greeted me nicely from start to finish. No in between jerks like at Ikea.

Later, I drank some ice water at home served up by my GE Refrigerator.

I also was not at Ikea today [[or yesterday, or any time since 2006). The closest one is more than 400 miles away and that's just too far unless we again plan to load up the SUV.

I have a Krups espresso/coffeemaker that is down for the count. I called Krups to find out what to do. It seems this model is prone to grinder clogging and must be sent to Krups to be cleaned, as the grinder is not accessible to the common user. This will be the second time. They pay shipping both ways and cleaning or repairs are under warranty. While it is irksome to have a faulty product, it is very nice to have good customer service.

Augustiner Guest

I wasn't at Ikea today, but I did go to the auto show. There were lots of Volvos, but no Saabs. I wonder where all the Saabs are this year? Maybe they all got stolen. If I drove a Saab, I would park it with a coffee mug over the ignition so people wouldn't know how to steal it.

LDoolan Guest

I usually just pull a couple plug wires off or take the rotor out of the distributor, but that's hard to do with new cars.

Did drive a Saab once, never understood the hype surrounding those cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I was not at Ikea today, but I did have a decent salami sandwich that I made myself for lunch. Also some sliced apple and a Faygo Redpop.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqyDj7RX6Y

Quote Originally Posted by LDoolan View Post
    I usually just pull a couple plug wires off or take the rotor out of the distributor, but that's hard to do with new cars.

Did drive a Saab once, never understood the hype surrounding those cars.
    I have regular access to a Saab 93 Sedan now, and although it isn't the same as my father's old 900 sedan...many of their specialties survived the GMification of the brand.

The turbo four will outdo most other engines, holding its own in any performance category and near the lead with efficiency. The sports-shifting auto trans almost never searches for gear and keeps the revs exactly where you need them to stay in turbo-range, while MOST other auto trans are woefully inadequate...almost always in a state of confusion. Of course, you have to remember to push the Sports button, but otherwise...it rocks, even gearing down during long deceleration.

It nearly has me not missing my old Audi A4 Avant...and manual transmissions.

The Saab engineers are without a doubt some of the best in the industry. The cockpit is spot-on, you are never searching for any control. Never have to figure anything out, you just DO it. The car exudes great confidence at speed, and anywhere below its maximums...most do not.

Cheers

I asked my son this weekend, "Why do I feel good about giving IKEA money but wouldn't give money to KIA or Hundai [[gosh I know that is spelled wrong). I so wish there were a rival US IKEA.

On the buy American thing - off topic - Those new Audi commercials where the dino feet turn into RR tracks turn into that bad ass Audi, gosh, what a cool looking car. I also like the one where they are dissing Mercedes [[goodbye etc with all the conspicious consumption views......)

Anyways, I am sure I would be lucky to be able to afford a new Ford - next year maybe. Sorry for the rambling. But you put up with Gannon's rambling, so surely you can read mine too.

Happy New Year Gannon, hope it is a good year for you.

LDoolan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I have regular access to a Saab 93 Sedan now, and although it isn't the same as my father's old 900 sedan...many of their specialties survived the GMification of the brand.

The turbo four will outdo most other engines, holding its own in any performance category and near the lead with efficiency. The sports-shifting auto trans almost never searches for gear and keeps the revs exactly where you need them to stay in turbo-range, while MOST other auto trans are woefully inadequate...almost always in a state of confusion. Of course, you have to remember to push the Sports button, but otherwise...it rocks, even gearing down during long deceleration.

It nearly has me not missing my old Audi A4 Avant...and manual transmissions.

The Saab engineers are without a doubt some of the best in the industry. The cockpit is spot-on, you are never searching for any control. Never have to figure anything out, you just DO it. The car exudes great confidence at speed, and anywhere below its maximums...most do not.

Cheers
    I had an Infiniti J30 that was like that. I bought it in '95 with only 3000 miles on it, but it was smacked in the ass pretty hard, even after fixing the car I was still in it under the money.

Good car, but too much electronic BS for me. I sold it and put that money towards my '61 Corvette project. The Corvette doesn't handle all that good, but it goes like hell in a straight line and sounds good doing it. Not to mention there's only 1 vacuum line and a half dozen wires going to the motor. I like that.

a rival US IKEA.
    I think it might be called TARGET?

Never been to IKEA, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one time!

IKEA rocks. Nothing like it. Can't wait till we re-do our kitchen, want to do an IKEA kitchen.