Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Del Taco Downtown?

One of my coworkers was telling me about a new Del Taco that he recently saw downtown. He can't remember which street it was on or what building it was in, and I can't find anything on Google.

Does anybody have more information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    One of my coworkers was telling me about a new Del Taco that he recently saw downtown. He can't remember which street it was on or what building it was in, and I can't find anything on Google.

Does anybody have more information on this?
    I don't know of one, but they really need a taco bell downtown.

Who cares. The last thing downtown needs or Detroit for that matter is another chain fast food restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Who cares. The last thing downtown needs or Detroit for that matter is another chain fast food restaurant.
    I disagree, I would gladly have one of the 50 Subways or McDonalds downtown converted to a Taco Bell.

I agree, who cares? It just fills up another vacant spot and maybe creates a few jobs, increases tax revenues...

Fast food, whether you like it or not, is a fact of life. More fast food joints downtown would be sign of increased activity. rjlj, where are all these chain fast food restaurants downtown? So far as I know, there's only one McDonald's and one Burger King in the CBD and they are both in the Ren Cen.

One of the dual Taco Bell/KFC's would do great downtown. Besides, it would give the homeless somewhere to go besides Roast.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    One of the dual Taco Bell/KFC's would do great downtown. Besides, it would give the homeless somewhere to go besides Roast.
    Very good Don, I agree!

According to Del Taco's website, there are a total of 4 Del Tacos in Mich. One in Clawson, two in Warren and one in Roseville. And there are no Michigan locations listed in the 'Coming Soon' section

Name:  deltaco.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  8.3 KB

??!??!??!??!

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    According to Del Taco's website, there are a total of 4 Del Tacos in Mich. One in Clawson, two in Warren and one in Roseville. And there are no Michigan locations listed in the 'Coming Soon' section
    There was one at Ford rd. and Telegraph on the northeast corner. I think it was opened up about 6 or 7 years ago and was always jam packed. I wonder if that one closed so quickly. I never went their but people said it was better than Taco Bell.

Del Taco's website is wrong as there is one on Telegraph and Ford Rd.

Yes it does list the Dearborn Hgts one; I missed it on the first go round.

MICHIGAN
    CLAWSON [[1) DEARBORN HEIGHTS [[1) ROSEVILLE [[1) WARREN [[2)
    Last edited by jcole; January-14-11 at 01:16 PM. Reason: clarification

I never said I was against jobs and filling vacant space, I just thought for once that we could be a little more creative than bringing cookie cutter chains that cheapen the image of downtown. Why can't incentives be made available to non-chain businesses, lets say from Southwest Detroit that want to open a Mexican restaurant where space to lease is reasonable and local food vendors are used like tortillas from La Jalisciense Tortilla Factory and Salsa from Garden Fresh. Just think of that, fresh healthy food. Commercial space gets filed, jobs are created, the community benefits, and the consumer benefits. Maybe it will attract people from outside of Detroit eat there. You don't see chains promoting the city like other non-chain restaurant owners do. You don't see other people flocking to the city to visit the unique chains of Downtown Detroit. You don't see national news stories about the Subway at Grand Circus Park like you do of other Downtown Restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    I agree, who cares? It just fills up another vacant spot and maybe creates a few jobs, increases tax revenues...

I have never heard of Del Taco but maybe they should take three or four adjacent storefronts, of which there are many, on Woodward between Grand River and Grand Circus Park, bust out some walls and make a fast food food court. They could put in a Burger King, Taco Bell, McDonald's, KFC, Little Caesar's, White Castle, China One, Arby's, Church's, Pizza Hut, Subway, and a Dairy Queen. This would be much better than yet another dollar store, beauty supply, Metro PCS, or pay day loan/check cashing places.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; January-14-11 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Del Taco's website is wrong as there is one on Telegraph and Ford Rd.
    It is still open. I drive past there a few times every month. When they first opened, they were jammed. I tried them when it first opened. I didn't like it as much as Taco Bell, but I was surprised to see they also sell some burgers & fries fare.

I only post cuz at first I replies as If it were a "El pollo Loco" and gave a good review. Now saw my error, and edited.... Del Taco isnt much to be happy about. Better than a vacancy yes..... not much more than that
    Last edited by n7hn; January-14-11 at 01:59 PM.

Del Taco? Whaaa...? What next, In-N-Out Burger? What do they think this is, Los Angeles?

I never said I was against jobs and filling vacant space, I just thought for once that we could be a little more creative than bringing cookie cutter chains that cheapen the image of downtown. Why can't incentives be made available to non-chain businesses, lets say from Southwest Detroit that want to open a Mexican restaurant where space to lease is reasonable and local food vendors are used like tortillas from La Jalisciense Tortilla Factory and Salsa from Garden Fresh. Just think of that, fresh healthy food. Commercial space gets filed, jobs are created, the community benefits, and the consumer benefits. Maybe it will attract people from outside of Detroit eat there. You don't see chains promoting the city like other non-chain restaurant owners do. You don't see other people flocking to the city to visit the unique chains of Downtown Detroit. You don't see national news stories about the Subway at Grand Circus Park like you do of other Downtown Restaurants.
    What do you think this is, San Francisco?

And there we have it, I have made your point.

muskie1 Guest

I am not a big fan of chain food, but have to say I can not argue with their success. The problem with many small restaurants is no matter how good they are,they usually are run by people with little business sense. They have a huge failure rate and at least a chain place has a solid plan and money to back it. Jobs are jobs and I don't care where they come from

southwest casual dining downtown= cool.. independent or chain, it should be welcome..

Are the Michigan Del Taco's as good as the CA ones?

In the meantime, have we managed to clarify whether or not there is a Del Taco in or anywhere near downtown?
    Last edited by fryar; January-14-11 at 03:36 PM.

There is no Del Taco in Downtown Detroit. There are only 4 Del Tacos in Metro-Detroit Area. I have been to the one at Gratiot Ave and Masonic and Dequindre and 12 Mile Rd.

Did you like it? Honestly. I've never been to one.

And again: Huh? They're in MI? I'm still processing that;

Think the Del Taco site might be outdated then.

There is a Del Taco on Telegraph just North of Ford Rd in Dearborn Heights.

The Dearborn Heights one was the first Metro Detroit one.

There used to be a Taco Bell in downtown Detroit until about 10 years ago.

In and Out says they will only stay on the West Coast where they can control the quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast