Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Stoppage on I-94 Monday morning 5/11/2009

I'm stuck looking at brake lights on eastbound I-94 right now, under Michigan Avenue.

Anyone know why?

Nothing on the road reports yet...

Just got my answer. Damn accident ahead.

Thanks WWJ Newsradio950!

Probably someone posting to a forum while driving.

You're welcome! At one point, all lanes were blocked, but we're hearing that traffic's getting thru a little bit right now.

Quote Originally Posted by WWJNewsradio950 View Post
    You're welcome! At one point, all lanes were blocked, but we're hearing that traffic's getting thru a little bit right now.
    Wow, are you really WWJNewsradio or is that just a phony moniker?

http://www.freep.com/article/2009051...+crash++4+hurt

Gannon,

Just so you know what held you up.

Wow. Knew someone was hurt since they stopped us for so long.

Funny thing, it took nearly fifty minutes for the flatbed from the City of Detroit to show up.

Thanks for the irony, MikeM, but I didn't turn this box ON until it was quite obvious we were going to be sitting there for so long.

I can re-read my text log to give you exact times...even my gas receipt is time/date stamped. I didn't miss this by very much.

First person I had for carry out at the deli when I finally made it happened to be caught behind me for the duration, too...but by the time she drove by there weren't any cars left but the police vehicles. When I drove by they were just scraping up the Focus.

Not that I was rubber-necking of course...heh.

Thanks for the updates, WWJ. I was a bit amused when you kept repeating that there was SOME motion...I think it took about three cycles, 24 mintues, to agree with my perception that we were playing parking lot.

Somebody should invent a bicycle beverage service, ready to capitalize on these shutdowns. I really could've used a cup o' java.

Threw off my whole damn day.

9:58 was my initial text, after it was clear something big happened.

10:55 was FREEDOM and on with my day.

So, I might've waited ten minutes to post here...what is the first post, 10:06?

Ten minutes at 70 m.p.h. means nearly twelve miles of stoppage could be built before they heard about it with the current WWJ update cycle.

How tough would it be to insert a quick interruption to regular programming...when the first report comes in...and then since SO many people have iPhones and Blackberrys even have blogged instantaneous reports from the field through your website?

You might get me to turn from NPR while driving anywhere. You'd be able to do some fun target marketing while showing alternate routes for those who'd rather be in motion.

I would've paid some service for a cup of coffee....delivered. They have any restrictions on what you can carry in that helicopter?!
    Last edited by Gannon; May-11-09 at 10:49 PM.

At least it didn't happen during rush hour, the Ford is always slow around the downtown interchanges during the evening rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Wow, are you really WWJNewsradio or is that just a phony moniker?
    Yes, we're real people who work in the newsroom--Lowell can confirm that for you. We joined because there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, but--like any good journalist--we check the facts ourselves before running with a story.

As far as traffic info goes, keep in mind everyone in the media is usually calling a dispatcher [[all at the same time) who has to rely on info from officers at the scene. Even when we get tipsters, that information can be incorrect sometimes too.

There are other media people who post here, some of them under mundane names you wouldn't recognize.

Just don't blame us if you're late for work because of a slowdown. We don't make the news, we just report it.