Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Roasting "Roast"

So, I took my wife to Roast last Friday. Very nice restaurant, great service, but....we got panhandled in the restaurant.

Somehow, a homeless person made it past the hostess desk and ended up trying to get me to give him some money so he could "get some gas for his car." This is something I'm used to on the streets, not in a fine dining restaurant were I'm going to drop $300+.

I was pissed off and told my waiter about it...all he did was make a joke out of it and continue to make jokes about it throughout the night. It's a good thing I was slightly inebriated because I may have caused a scene had I been 100% sober.
    Roast needs to do a better job of keeping it's image clean.

Has this ever happened to you?

What exactly was your waiter supposed to do in this situation?

What kind of jokes did the comic waiter make?
    Anything good?

Pushtina, what would you expect him to do? I would expect an apology and for him to inform the Manager that panhandlers are intruding into his establishment.

For a higher end meal who the fuck wants that bullshit? It isn't MACdonalds.

I think flaming against a particular restaurant for having a panhandler in it is wrong. What is it you expect them to do exactly? Was it handled once you brought it to their attention? I think the waiter's light-hearted approach is one way to handle it. Perhaps you wanted them to apologize profusely for a beggar getting into their restaurant? Perhaps you wanted something off your bill? This isn't a situation of bad food or bad service. I'm pretty sure downtalking them on a public website about something outside of their control is a remedial complaint at best, and not warranted. These businesses [[especially the really good ones like Roast) need our support, not our ridicule.

Always had good experiences at Roast, good food, good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambling Man View Post
    I think flaming against a particular restaurant for having a panhandler in it is wrong. What is it you expect them to do exactly? Was it handled once you brought it to their attention? I think the waiter's light-hearted approach is one way to handle it. Perhaps you wanted them to apologize profusely for a beggar getting into their restaurant? Perhaps you wanted something off your bill? This isn't a situation of bad food or bad service. I'm pretty sure downtalking them on a public website about something outside of their control is a remedial complaint at best, and not warranted. These businesses [[especially the really good ones like Roast) need our support, not our ridicule.
    His complaint is perfectly valid. Better here than Yelp. Clearly he didn't feel his complaint was taken seriously at the restaurant. Making jokes about it isn't handling the situation. I've read worse on public forums. He doesn't say don't go to Roast, just tells his tale.

It's an upscale restaurant, yes, but one of its trademarks is casual service. If you were in a place where you had liveried, tuxedoed service, you'd probably get feverish apologies and a visit from the maitre'd. But the ethos of Roast is all about making you feel comfortable and casual. That's probably why the waiter was trying to amuse you. My guess, anyway.

It is where it is. Unless they have security roaming through the place, there is no way that they can 100% prevent someone from sneaking in the restaurant.

Anyway, homeless are homeless. They know they're not supposed to be there. In any establishment, whether I've been in charge or just a patron, I've seldom had to say more than, "You need to leave." They just go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambling Man View Post
    If indeed the waiter didn't apologize then I think his complaint is valid [[but he admittedly was drunk, so who knows if he's recalling the situation correctly?). I wouldn't want to be panhandled in a private establishment that I'm paying money to enter. But if the waiter did apologize and the panhandler was removed, I'm not sure what more the o/p would ask of them.

I've eaten at Roast and I think it's a nice restaurant with good service. I doubt this is a regular occurrence, which is probably why the waiter was so amused.

Roast is not "casual" service... They wipe your table off with those scrapers between each course... When was the last time Applebees did that? or Hockeytown cafe?

All that being said, its not the Waiters fault.

But, its not good for the image of that restaurant, especially this week of all weeks. While I do not mean to make light of the plight of the homeless I would recommend you call the hotel and restaurant management and ask them what is being done to keep homeless out of the restaurant/premises. When I was at Roast I did notice quite a few valet, employees, etc. which did help keep homeless out, that being said, the hotel is not on "lockdown" and it is easy to roam throughout [[my family and I wandered into all of the banquet halls one night when they were all empty just to admire their beauty... Was surprised how small they were).

gdogslim Guest

WTF, any good restaurant would have grabbed them shown them the door and maybe give them some bread or leftovers maybe and kick them on the street. It is a business, not a homeless food kitchen.
    I would be pissed if I spent good money and it happened to me and the waiter joked about it? !!!!!

Was one of the jokes "Let them eat cake!" ? Seems fitting.

If you can afford to eat at Roast, then you can afford to give him a buck or two for gas. Then he's gone, end of story. Consider it an existential moment and fortunate for you that the roles were not reversed.

Default Jokes and such

Don't get me wrong, I do like the restaurant and will probably go back. But I feel they could have at least apologized and maybe offered a free dessert or something.

The jokes weren't really good....like...the waiter would say.."hey can get you another martini and can you spare $1.85." The waiter was nice, but I think he could have apologized...maybe he didn't care because he knew he was getting a huge tip...

But let's be honest...this is SUPPOSED to be a nice restaurant..not casual...and this most certainly shouldn't happen. What if it was Coach Insignia or Opus One? But wait, those are casual.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    If you can afford to eat at Roast, then you can afford to give him a buck or two for gas. Then he's gone, end of story. Consider it an existential moment and fortunate for you that the roles were not reversed.
    It is not at all likely that the beggar in question needed the money for gas. More probable that he wanted the money for booze or drugs.

And while it is a good thing that the roles were not reversed,
    the original poster was not under any duty whatsoever to give the beggar any money.

If I gave every homeless person a fucking nickel every time I walked from my apartment anywhere in Detroit the roles would be reversed..I'd be the homeless one!...I feel for the homeless, I do, but keep that shit on the streets.

BTW...the bone marrow in the femur that came with my steak was delicious.

You may have noticed it was winter outside. While you bask in the warmth of an excellent restaurant, anticipating the arrival of a hearty meal, your moment of bliss is interrupted by the reality of someone in need. Your disgust with the beggar is transferred to the waiter because he didn't kiss your ass enough with apologies to your satisfaction. You still harbor negative feelings from the event to take the time to complain about your dilemma. Have a nice life.

DC48080 Guest

Giving money to beggars does nothing but encourage them to continue their ways. It is much more productive to donate to organizations that screen the recipient of charity and dole out the money judiciously. Try donating to the Salvation Army, they see that the money goes to serving people who truly need it.
    Last edited by DC48080; January-13-11 at 10:55 PM.

You may have noticed it was winter outside. While you bask in the warmth of an excellent restaurant, anticipating the arrival of a hearty meal, your moment of bliss is interrupted by the reality of someone in need. Your disgust with the beggar is transferred to the waiter because he didn't kiss your ass enough with apologies to your satisfaction. You still harbor negative feelings from the event to take the time to complain about your dilemma. Have a nice life.
    As a matter of fact I did realize it's winter out. Mmmmm...yes that was a hearty meal..and expensive...yes...that is my whole freaking complaint here. I don't want my ass kissed...I want a top tier restaurant to do a better job of keeping it's patrons free of the everyday bullshit. Because, ENO...that' what I was doing...trying to relax and enjoy a good meal. Maybe, you didn't know..but on my way over from my apartment I gave a dude, as I always do to this one guy, a couple of bucks....so fucking shoot me if I get pissed for not wanting to be harassed in a fine establishment. I give to charity and whatnot, so don't try to think you even have me pegged for an insensitive anti- homeless person.

I guess we should have "homeless nights" in all the fine restaurants in town...would you like that?

If you give him a few bucks you are only providing positive reinforcement that he his acting in a proper manner. You are then inviting him to do it again, and the next guy, and the next guy... If you truly want to help, donate your money and/or time to a charity that helps the homeless who want more than a half-pint of cheap liquor. I'm not saying to disrespect anybody, just say a simple "sorry, wish I did" and let it go.

DC48080 Guest

Don't waste your breath Planner. I have found that those who scream the most about the poor unfortunate among us and who tell everybody else to have compassion and give money, they themselves donate nothing to "the cause". They just like to tell everyone else what to do and they like to feel morally superior. In reality, they don't do anything but make noise. It is the bleeding-heart, hipster-duuchebag way.
    Last edited by DC48080; January-13-11 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Don't waste your breath Planner. I have found that those who scream the most about the poor unfortunate among us and who tell everybody else to have compassion and give money, they themselves donate nothing to "the cause". They just like to tell everyone else what to do and they like to feel morally superior. In reality, they don't do anything but make noise. It is the bleeding-heart, hipster-duuchebag way.
    10-4 DC, at least some here see my point....which is not to hate on the less fortunate in society.

I suppose having your evening interrupted like that is a bit over the top. I might have dealt with it differently by requesting the manager after having taken care of the beggar. I would have expected any apologies to come from the manager, not the waiter. I'd also expect an adjustment in my bill. If I didn't get one, that would be my last meal there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast