Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Daniel Scotten or Bela Hubbard Homes

Does anyone know where the Daniel Scotten home was on Vinewood...all I can find is that it was near Fort Street around Hubbard Farms area. A lot of the Victorian era homes north of 75 are still intact. I'm thinking these estates where closer to the river or possibly where 75 runs through now. I've found that the Bela Hubbard home was razed in 1934, so that's before 75 went through. Any information on these unique homes would be appreciated. Name:  DanielScottenVinewood.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  17.9 KBName:  Vinewood1856.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  59.1 KBName:  BelaHubbardrazed1934.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  86.9 KB

Have you tried looking up Daniel Scotten and Bella Hubbard in the old City Directories in the Burton Historical Library which is in the Main Branch of DPL on Woodward? That could be a start of your search. Beyond that, ask one of the librarians for help.

Default Baughman Scotten House

The mansion was located north of Lafayette between Vinewood st and Indian ave, now known as Hubbard ave.. The structure was raised sometime after Scotten' death in 1899 and 1906 when the land was platted for smaller lots. This was the largest of three italianate mansions by architect AJ Davis in the area. The other was Bela Hubbard's Vinewood taken down in 1933, and located between Vinewood and WGB. The third home belonged to a friend of Hubbard's, Christopher Reeve and was [[I'm guessing) between WGB and 24th. All sat on the ridge above Fort street.

The Scotten house was originally built for John C Baughman, brother in law of Bela Hubbard

Anybody got a time machine? I would love to go back and see these houses as they were. I love the old architecture and the size of the homes. I think I must have had a past life around the turn of the century because I am totally drawn to that era.

Thanks for the pictures motivedetroit...and for the information robtanderson!

I think the pre-auto detroit history is more interesting than the motor town identity. Btw, That should have been "razed"' not raised, regarding Baughman Scotten

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    The mansion was located north of Lafayette between Vinewood st and Indian ave, now known as Hubbard ave.. The structure was raised sometime after Scotten' death in 1899 and 1906 when the land was platted for smaller lots. This was the largest of three italianate mansions by architect AJ Davis in the area. The other was Bela Hubbard's Vinewood taken down in 1933, and located between Vinewood and WGB. The third home belonged to a friend of Hubbard's, Christopher Reeve and was [[I'm guessing) between WGB and 24th. All sat on the ridge above Fort street.

The Scotten house was originally built for John C Baughman, brother in law of Bela Hubbard

Thanks for the amazing work here rob! These two homes where by Alexander Jackson Davis?! Are you kidding me? They certainly look like his work..italinate with a somewhat gothic element. What a complete shame Detroit lost them....so long ago too. Okay...so they were all above Fort Street. I'm assuming this area was originally ribbon farms as well. I've been trying to find some interior shots...but haven't had any luck. What a cool area it must have been...I've run across photos of Vinewood and it looked like a picture book Victorian street scene.

Hubbard was influenced by the ideas of AJ Downing and began to imagine a kind of rural estate with many homes, groves and gardens. He connected with AJ Davis who suggested he look at Llewelyn Park in NY. Hubbard's dream was realized in 3 homes designed by Davis all built between 1854-56.

Hubbard was deeded Private Claim 77 [[Knaggs Farm) from his father in 1835. Vinewood was located on the A. Campau farm, Private Claim 78, also owned by Hubbard and called Hubbard Sub, although I haven't gone through the land records yet to find out exactly when he purchased this property.

Hubbard purchased a portion of PC 78, Fort Street on the south to the Michigan Central RR on the north, adjacent to his own property [[PC 77) to the west and at about 25th street on the east [[bordering the old Labadie farm), from Madeline Harper, widow of Alexis Campau, and her then current husband James Harper, for $7228 on April 2, 1853. This would have been the equivalent of about $280K, today.

To follow-up, according to the Polk City Directories at the Burton Historical Collection, the Baughman-Scotten house was located at 259 Vinewood in 1901. There is no 259 Vinewood address in 1902. 1901 would be a good guess as to when the mansion was torn down. Daniel Scotten died in 1899.