Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Without aid, DPS may close half of its schools

Class sizes also would swell under proposal filed with the state

Jennifer Chambers / The Detroit News

Detroit — Detroit Public Schools would close nearly half of its schools in the next two years, and increase high school class sizes to 62 by the following year, under a deficit-reduction plan filed with the state.

The plan, part of a monthly update Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb gives the Department of Education, was filed late Monday to provide insight into Bobb's progress in his attempt to slash a $327 million deficit in the district to zero over the next several years. Under it, the district would slim down from 142 schools now to 72 during 2012-13.

Bobb has said school closures, bigger classes and other measures would be needed if he cannot get help from lawmakers to restructure finances in the state's largest school district.

DPS considered but declined to file for bankruptcy in 2009. In the past year, debt in the district has increased by more than $100 million, brought on by a mix of revenue declines in property taxes, reduced state aid, declining enrollment and an unplanned staffing surge this past fall.

Starting this fall, the district plans to boost class sizes in grades 4-12 and at all grade levels by fiscal 2012, which begins July 1, to save $16.8 million. The plan would hike class sizes for: Grades K-3 from 17-25 students to 29 in 2012-13 and 31 in 2013-14.

Grades 4-5 from 30 students to 37 in 2012-13 and 39 in 2013-14.

Grades 6-8 from 35 students to 45 in 2012-13 and 47 in 2013-14.

Grades 9-12 from 35 students to 60 in 2012-13 and 62 in 2013-14.

Because the district's contract with the Detroit Federation of Teachers requires payments to teachers for class sizes that exceed specified maximums, the district estimates it would spend $10 million in oversize class pay over four years.
    Keith Johnson, president of the teachers union, said the proposed class size increases won't work and will never happen.

"I will never agree to any class-size increases," Johnson said. "These increases are antithetical to learning. Secondly, our classrooms aren't even built to accommodate those numbers.

"Johnson said the teachers' contract does not let the district exceed contracted class sizes through 2012. DFT filed an unfair labor practice charge in July to restore class sizes for the upcoming school year.

Parent Petrina Johnson said swelling high school classrooms to 60 students or more will only leave them uneducated.

"There is one teacher and she can barely get to each of the 36 kids now. That makes no sense," said Johnson, who has three children at Mumford High School.
    School officials said the plan would create a "lecture hall" model similar to a university.

Johnson said teenagers aren't ready for that.

"This gives more opportunity for them to slip through the cracks," she said.
    The proposal calls for closing 40 schools in fiscal 2012 and 30 schools in fiscal 2013. That would leave DPS with 72 schools for a projected 58,570 students, down from about 74,000 now. The district closed 30 schools this fiscal year, which is expected to save $23 million. The planned closings in fiscal 2012-14 would save more than $33 million.

Bobb said the district could save another $12.4 million from the school closures if it "simply abandons" the closed buildings. Past policy has been to keep the closed schools clean and secure, officials said, but the district could cut costs by eliminating storage, board-up and security.

DPS spokesman Steve Wasko said the district has laid out the path it must take to eliminate the deficit, and Bobb remains focused on working with lawmakers to pass one of three plans to restructure DPS' finances.

Those plans include splitting the district in two to put its debt obligation with an "old district," covering about 9,000 students. State revenue would pay off the debt, allowing the "new district" to move forward debt-free with undetermined start-up funds.

Such a plan would need approval by state lawmakers and Gov. Rick Snyder.
    District officials said they are pursuing "renaissance" legislation to free up $400 million in future tobacco settlement funds that could help mend DPS' deficit and those of 40 other districts statewide. In return, the districts would make dramatic reforms based on the federal Race to the Top initiative, such as eliminating teacher seniority.

That proposal died last month in the state Legislature's lame duck session. A third plan would look at new systems and agencies used in New Orleans, which has converted more than half of its public schools into charter schools in the past several years.

Besides closing schools and increasing class sizes, Bobb's plan calls for the district to abolish its divisions of finance, legal services, human services and public safety and contract with either Wayne County or the city of Detroit for those services.

"This is the route that we'd need to take if the other larger solutions are not found," Wasko said. "It is in fact the route that we continue to take until alternatives are approved."

There was no mention of any of these plans in the documents Bobb filed with the state, Wasko said, because the plans are still being researched and fleshed out in and outside DPS.

"There is a lot of work going on," he said.

Joseph Johnson, executive director for the National Center for Urban School Transformation, said almost every urban school district in the country is struggling, but perhaps none as severely as Detroit.

"I haven't heard of an urban district taking such drastic of steps," Joseph Johnson said. "Certainly every urban district is engaging in some serious belt-tightening as they are dealing with smaller budgets and at the same time often higher expectation from the public in terms of student achievement."

"Unplanned staffing surge"? A school system's staff doesn't surge and decline like the tide. Someone hired those people. Why was there no planning behind it?

So if DPS is losing students then who is gaining if any at all? The inner ring burbs? Anyone have the stats on where former DPS students migrate?

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post

Bobb said the district could save another $12.4 million from the school closures if it "simply abandons" the closed buildings. Past policy has been to keep the closed schools clean and secure, officials said, but the district could cut costs by eliminating storage, board-up and security.
    This is simply astonishing. After being such a staunch advocate of properly securing schools, he's just suddenly going to give up? Sounds like an empty threat.

He's probably trying to motivate MI to restructure DPS financing in order to avoid these results.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    "Unplanned staffing surge"? A school system's staff doesn't surge and decline like the tide. Someone hired those people. Why was there no planning behind it?
    I noticed that as well.

We have a teacher shortage. Special Ed teachers are teaching gen ed and that is a no-no. 60 kids in a class with special ed mixed in there is not a good idea! I have low functioning kids in class who need tons of attention and with 60, that will be impossible!

I hear you DetroitTeacher... what must it be, proceeding forth with as much enthusiasm as possible in the interest of teaching and loving kids as many good teachers do, only to know that the boat your rowing has an increasing growing leak! All the while new buildings are being built with consultants and vendors and others [[under Bobb) continue to earn hefty incomes. Crazy... indeed death by a thousand cuts. 60 students per class? Too much!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-11 at 05:30 AM.

citylover Guest

Default what happened

to the idea of forgiving the debt/deficit ? I am ignorant of the particulars but frankly Dps should probably be allowed to wipe the slate clean [[financially speaking) and start fresh.I may be callow for thinking this way but sixty kids in classrooms is the same as throwing in the towel and society will suffer.

I have no idea what I'll do with 60 in a class. I have had 60 before but they were gen ed and I didn't have to worry about meeting individual IEP goals and objectives for half + of them. Sure, there were some that were slower than others but, for the most part, we kept plugging along. With full inclusion, I just see kids dropping out and teacher burn-out. There just aren't enough resources to go around for 60 in a class [[nor the space IN the classroom). When I had 60 before, they were sitting on: window ledges, my desk, lawn chairs I brought in, the floor. I just see this as a dis-service to the kids and the community [[with unattended vacant buildings left for the taking).

I have supported the closure of schools in the past, but it should have been done gradually as the school population shrunk. This was unpopular so it was delayed. I accept that more schools will have to close.

But I just don't see how 60 kids in a classroom is going to work. The back rows will be completely uncontrollable. With 60 kids, you get a higher number of knuckle heads who will consume even more of the teacher's very limited time.

This is warehousing.

As to where the Detroit's refugee students are going, I think you might want to consider some of the eastside suburbs. I was in Warren not long ago when a high school was emptying out for the day and I was surprised at the number of African-American pupils.

Where I work 35, 40 kid's freak out the teachers, Let ALONE 60.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I have no idea what I'll do with 60 in a class. I have had 60 before but they were gen ed and I didn't have to worry about meeting individual IEP goals and objectives for half + of them. Sure, there were some that were slower than others but, for the most part, we kept plugging along. With full inclusion, I just see kids dropping out and teacher burn-out. There just aren't enough resources to go around for 60 in a class [[nor the space IN the classroom). When I had 60 before, they were sitting on: window ledges, my desk, lawn chairs I brought in, the floor. I just see this as a dis-service to the kids and the community [[with unattended vacant buildings left for the taking).
    I plan to teach Middle School someday. I can imagine teaching in an urban school district has some challenges of its own [[I've never been in or subbed at a large school, though, I've observed a semi-large one). I can't imagine 60 students in a classroom, even if they don't have IEPs. With special needs, yikes. If they're going to do that they'd better pay the teachers twice the salary, because they'll be doing at least twice the work.

Of course, we don't teach for the money, but I could certainly sympathize with the teacher's union for finding 60 students to be an outrageous number.

A lecture-style setting is not good for high school, especially if some students have special needs. Lecture-style might be fine for universities, of course many students also drop out of universities.

Probably about all most teachers can do with 60 students is babysit. Not much good education will happen.

The whole thing is really sad.

Is there any way to just start all over? Will that help?
    Last edited by LeannaM; January-13-11 at 01:24 AM.

62 students in a classroom is absurd. Of course, a large number of the students won't show up regularly, so that should ease the crowding.

I believe that this plan is largely posturing in the hope of getting some kind of relief, but at this point the DPS is primarily about providing jobs and day care, and if anything like these proposed class sizes are actually implemented that will only be more true. I agree with evergreen: in a class that size, even if there are no true special-ed kids, there will be at least a couple that require an inordinate amount of attention, and it will be very difficult for any teacher to keep the classroom on track. Not to mention the large number of kids who won't be at the proper level of preparation in any case and requiring still more effort from the teacher.

I really don't see the educational point of continuing to run the DPS. It should be eliminated as soon as possible, and the resources reallocated. I'd like to see vouchers in Detroit, but if not, let the kids go to charters or out-of-district. Some of the relatively functional schools could be converted to charters if needed.

" . . .the district estimates it would spend $10 million in oversize class pay over four years." I've had oversized classes for years and I've never received a penny in oversize class pay, so there's probably no need to worry about this $10 mil.

Vox Guest

Sounds like another corner turned! 60 is just undoable. This is just the start of the insanity. Wait until the cuts come down from Lansing. You cant reduce a budget deficit on cuts alone.

When the new Amelia Earhart Elementary School Building is being built in SW Detroit. Seventy schools are going to be close. Most of them in the blighted ghettohoods in Detroit with low enrolment. Looks like Chrater Schools are winning the battle. Soon Detroit will not have its own public school system. It's will be both public and private charters.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitFats View Post
    " . . .the district estimates it would spend $10 million in oversize class pay over four years." I've had oversized classes for years and I've never received a penny in oversize class pay, so there's probably no need to worry about this $10 mil.
    I've never gotten oversized class pay, either! Or most of my pay for covering classes during my prep [[they owe me about 75 hours)! Or workshop pay [[they owe me that from 1998)!

I've never gotten oversized class pay, either! Or most of my pay for covering classes during my prep [[they owe me about 75 hours)! Or workshop pay [[they owe me that from 1998)!
    Is oversized class pay in your contract? If so, why is your Union sitting on their overpaid duffs????

This can't be for real. This is an ultimatum to the state. That, or everyone really does enroll in neighboring school districts. This won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Is oversized class pay in your contract? If so, why is your Union sitting on their overpaid duffs????
    Hmm...if only I there were some kind of explanation for public monies evaporating in Detroit...

Patrick, I close friend of mine is a principal in a Sterling heights HS and they have been getting loads of DPS students over the last 3 years. Sadly he has stated the vast majority can't keep up and many are failing basic courses by a long shot. He also stated there is a lot of tension now because the former DPS kids come with huge chips on their shoulders [[especially when they fall behind) and fights that rarely occured are now common place.

I am sure other teachers can attest to the same thing.

Why should their deficit and debt be wiped cleaned? When teh DPS can show that it isn't going to pillaged any longer then and only then should they receive funds. until then....no chance. This is your money folks not the DPS admin's to piss away on cronies and limos and bodyguards.

ferntruth Guest

Hey, at least you get Summers off...

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Hey, at least you get Summers off...

Those summers are pay-free...meaning no pay during the summer. I have my pay spread out through the whole year so I get a check but it's money DPS is earning interest on. I also loaned DPS 10 grand [[which I'll never see again, I'm guessing). I also do lots of prep work for the coming school year during the summers. Also, the way things are going with the small school design [[which my school is a part of) I'll have to work summers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yep, it sure is. They will claim they lost the paperwork. I don't know, we've filed grievances to no avail. Our union is really worthless

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Why should their deficit and debt be wiped cleaned? When teh DPS can show that it isn't going to pillaged any longer then and only then should they receive funds. until then....no chance. This is your money folks not the DPS admin's to piss away on cronies and limos and bodyguards.
    What is it you would like to see happen? I'm not being sarcastic, but honestly, if anybody has any bright ideas, let's hear 'em.

I'd like to see people not steal from DPS and get away with it. I'd like to see the fat trimmed at the TOP [[ala Bobb's cronies having no bid contracts and so many lush offices being rented when there are perfectly good vacant buildings that DPS OWNS), I'd like to see a school board that has the best interest of the kids in mind and not wasting time at a board meeting deciding to alot themselves 300 bucks per "special meeting" for a friggin deli tray. I'd like to see KIDS come first. I'd like to see a lot but I doubt I ever will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast