Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How bout those for regionalism?

Last edited by Lowell; May-11-09 at 07:09 AM.

My God, Patterson is such an idiot.

Between him and Mon the Con, this region is beyond doomed.

Retroit Guest

I don't see anything wrong with it. So what if we have 2 "aerotropoli"? It's no more ludicrous than having one. The whole idea is preposterous. Detroit is not a central location for trans-shipments like Louisville [[UPS) or Memphis [[FedEx), and the Big3 are not likely to need such facilities, even if they survive.

So yeah, I guess you're right, it is idiotic!

MIRepublic Guest

What's so ironic about it all is that if they weren't before, all of this counties are on the way down, now. It's a race against the clock that he knows he can't win; he knows the sky really is falling. But, I guess for him, buying a few more seconds is worth the path of desctruction left in his wake. What's even more funny is that Oakland would probably be the biggest moocher in this new alliance.

Southeast Michigan has become an aggressive cancer, and it'll only aggravate the existing sicknesses of those its tentacles spread into. Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb [[but, particularly the latter) better clean there own house, first. Once Detroit lets go of it council, this year, Oakland County voters need to move on from Patterson, too. Only after this should they even consider trying to export their influence. Really, doesn't everyone see that the thinner spread the region the closer they get to a 'game over'?

Patterson's quote in the article: "...My future lies with these counties that are more like my own.”
    Sounds much like Monica Conyer's "...they [[employees at Cobo) don't look like me..."
    These two are so much more alike than either would like to admit.

This region is in need of some intelligent leadership for a change!

What's wrong with this? Oakland doesn't need Detroit. Detroit is just a hindrance to the region.

7. Default

[quote=MIRepublic;18148]What's so ironic about it all is that if they weren't before, all of this counties are on the way down, now.[quote]

And to accentuate this, LBP's office sits next to the bankrupt city of Pontiac and all cities in the county are suffering. Fortunately he has fans on facebook.
    Attachment 1140

I am reminded of a cold war cartoon when communist giant USSR and China were on the verge of war and had already had conflicts. USSR represented by a bear and China by a Dragon were chained to pillars straining at each other being baited and cheered on by the west. The irony was that the pillars were cracking and threatening to bring the roof down on everyone.

Seems to me like Patterson does not know his own county that well. I spent a lot of my life living in Oakland county. My parents live in Northern Oakland county, which is a little closer to Flint than Detroit, but it is my observation that Wayne and Oakland have a lot more in common, both culturally and economically, than any of the counties Patterson is seeking to align with. Most people in Oakland county do not venture north, east, or west for their jobs or entertainment, but rather south toward Detroit.

"My future lies with these counties that are more like my own"

Good ol' L. Brooks, ever the just-barely-subtle race pimp. But just subtle enough to get away with the 'what me racist?' bit, but still a vile poisonous presence on the local scene going back to his days standing at the schoolhouse door.

When the hell will this region ever get away from this tired 1960s and 70s shit? It's like a giant ugly rock around our already sinking neck.

Get off the race crap. To the thinking world its very obvious why Brooks aligns himself with counties that he can work with.

Detroit is a failure because of Detroiters and who they vote into office. They can continue to blame the real world for their internal problems in fanatsy land and they will continue to fail.

Bing might be able to save this mess of a city but it would be a miracle.

In the mean time Brooks sits at the right hand of God!

Brooks' and Oakland County's inferiority complex is so funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    What's wrong with this? Oakland doesn't need Detroit. Detroit is just a hindrance to the region.

Oakland County needs Detroit. When Detroit is doing well, it benefits the entire state. When Detroit is suffering, the entire state follows. We all need each other, you need to realize that.

We do all need eachother, but we're stuck in another political polarization pissing match again.

Frigtards, the lot of 'em.

Good luck on that LBP. The population from all of the counties in his "alliance" put together doesn't even equal 2 million people. Wayne, Washtenaw and Macomb together would have over 3 million people. If he moves forward with his plan then I say Wayne County should put up toll booths on all freeway crossings between Wayne and Oakland.

I also don't even understand how Livingston County is anything more than a drag on the plans. Did he add them for window dressing? To scare the rest of the region into following him? At least Flint has an airport and St. Clair has a border crossing [[albeit, COMPLETELY out of the way). What substance does Livingston add?

It says something when he couldn't even get Macomb to sign on, and they are usually lock in step with him.

With this type of thinking the SE Michigan region is doomed. Does he think his only competition out there is Wayne county? It is a big country and even a bigger world out there that is seeking to attract business, people and capital. If the region is going to have any chance it is going to have pool its resources together and not become some place filled with tribal warlords. Unbelievable.

Right. Michigan's counties compete against each other at the same time they tout regionalism.

This is why I will continue to say that Detroit can and should cooperate regionally, but Detroit can never afford to have someone like Patterson wielding veto power over any authority - Cobo or otherwise.

I agree 100% The petty bickering and arguing in this region are remnants of a by gone era. But as people like to say about the voters in the COD....the people in the OC get the leadership they deserve and the ones who think the most like them otherwise he wouldn't have been in office for so long.

Here's what's going to happen. Conyers, Collins and Watson are going to make some inappropriate and ignorant remarks. At which point, public sentiment will be on his side.

ah well... he's up for reelection in 2012, right? meh..

Should Oakland help Wayne? Yes. Should Wayne help Oakland? Yes.

It doesn't matter if our interests are the same, or if helping each other will help ourselves. That kind of attitude is childish and petty. When a child is hurting on the side of the road, you don't think, "Gee, I wonder if helping this child will benefit me." You help, even at a cost to yourself.

When we are petty, we all -- collectively -- become worthless. If the voters of Oakland County hire an executive that only cares about the voters of Oakland County, then the voters of Oakland County have been duped. Public servants afflicted with myopia ought to catch the first train out of town.

Now that he'll be living in a smaller place, do you think Kwame needs a roommate?
    Last edited by Prodigal_Son; May-11-09 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Style change

Many of you are missing a really important point here: the "region" does not exist. It is a figment of your imagination. It is not a corporeal being.

Brooks Patterson is in charge of Oakland County government and nothing else. Dave Bing is in charge of Detroit and nothing else. Nobody at all is in charge of this ephemeral "region" that I hear so much about. If somebody is, then who is it?

Wayne County is touting the Aerotropolis. How will that benefit Macomb County? Don't give me this "indirect benefit" claptrap. Industrial parks in Romulus don't benefit Mount Clemens any more than industrial parks in Shanghai.

If we want to be a region, then we have to create some sort of regional structure. There has to be some kind of governing body with influence over the region. Until we do that - and I seriously doubt we ever will - then we are only a region on census bureau reports, and no place else. And in that situation, it makes perfect sense for Brooks to pick and choose whom he wants to align with.

The structure is the problem, not the people. Vote in new people, keep the same structure, and you'll still have the same problems.

MIRepublic Guest

Wha? There is not a city over 1 million with a regional government, and yet most all work much better as a region than Detroit. The idea that Detroit has to have a regional government to act like a region is ridiculous.

"Conyers, Collins and Watson are going to make some inappropriate and ignorant remarks."

Every single day, no need to wait...and that exemplifies why the rest of the world moves forward while Detroit continues to rot.

In a typical big-city region, the central city has 40% to 70% of the total regional population, so the city government has some de facto control over regional issues. Detroit was that way, once. Detroit now has probably between 15% and 20% of the metro population, so is no longer driving the bus.

How will that benefit Macomb County? Don't give me this "indirect benefit" claptrap. Industrial parks in Romulus don't benefit Mount Clemens any more than industrial parks in Shanghai.
    This right here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast