Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What service do you not get, or wish there more of in the city?

Just this morning I determined that in the next 12-24 months I will try to establish some kind of business in the city. It's most likely gonna be a general store but I'd like to get any input I can. List any product, service, hours of operation, that you can't reliably get in the city. And your general location would be great
    Please be as varied and detailed as you wish. Any and all feedback is appreciated

A cheap, close gym.
    Office and school supplies.
    Batteries/power strips/memory sticks.

I'm a civil engineering student UDM and I live in the same area.

snow plowing services. everywhere.

Where in the city are you planning to locate a business? That has a huge impact on just what products/services are under served in the area.

Do what you know. Sell that.

A dojo that teaches Judo would be awesome, though maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

DetroitPole Guest

Along the lines of general store:
    I have two liquor stores near me. One is much like the rest of the liquor stores in the city. It is dirty, there is no semblance of healthy food there, and no concept of customer service. There are sometimes drug dealers outside. It is not unlike nearly every other liquor store in the city.
    Then there is one near me with a fresh deli counter, modest array of real groceries, and lo and behold, fresh produce.
    For the life of me I wish the liquor stores in the city could be more like the latter than the former - a neighborhood market, since they are often the only business in the neighborhood - rather than a parasite that exists only to profit off of booze.

Detroit's heavily underserved by kid-friendly establishments [[movie theatres, toy/electronic stores, arcades, etc), delicatessans, bakeries, and book stores. A few more hardwares, gyms and office supply stores [[although the drug stores suffice for now) wouldn't hurt either. I would also prefer more 24-hour pharmacies. I also agree with sicks_mahoney about a snow plowing or bulk pick up service.

What Detroiters ultimately need are jobs. Hopefully that would be the top priority of whatevre busienss you open.

I think Detroit's big wigs should get together and clean out the Packard Plant.
    The structure is sound, all they need is a few dump trucks to haul away the garbage.

That way we can bring low cost goods and services right to some of the most underserved in the city.
    Book stores [[to solve the literacy problem), healthy meal eateries [[to provide an alternative to fast food), and yoga studios [[for exercise) could fill the building.
    Maybe part of the building could be used for indoor farming.

Quote Originally Posted by majohnson View Post
    The structure is sound, all they need is a few dump trucks to haul away the garbage.

That way we can bring low cost goods and services right to some of the most underserved in the city.
    Book stores [[to solve the literacy problem), healthy meal eateries [[to provide an alternative to fast food), and yoga studios [[for exercise) could fill the building.
    You can't be serious. I can only imagine eating food grown on that land. All the answers to Detroit's problems can be solved by fixing up the Packard and dividing into very specific sections dedicated to Detroit's largest issues. Hopefully there is a "Hippie Pipe Dream" area where people can discuss ideas that solve nothing.

In response to the original post...I would second the "stay with which you know" idea. And if you don't know, team up with someone who does. Who knows you might run into a privately owned grocer in the suburbs who wouldn't mind having a small satellite location in the city. They would love having a young, educated person manage and invest in a store downtown.

can you say pipe dream?

in my general neighborhood what I want to see...an exercise gym.. some sit-down family restaurants.. an internet cafe. a coffee shop. a coin laundry. a movie theater. an adult men's clothing store.

More ice cream trucks, with a funky jingle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit2MeetU View Post
    You can't be serious. I can only imagine eating food grown on that land. All the answers to Detroit's problems can be solved by fixing up the Packard and dividing into very specific sections dedicated to Detroit's largest issues. Hopefully there is a "Hippie Pipe Dream" area where people can discuss ideas that solve nothing.

In response to the original post...I would second the "stay with which you know" idea. And if you don't know, team up with someone who does. Who knows you might run into a privately owned grocer in the suburbs who wouldn't mind having a small satellite location in the city. They would love having a young, educated person manage and invest in a store downtown.
    Dude, shes joking. Yoga studios [[for exercise)? Come on! That was funny shit.

How about a Petsmart? And a restaurant that serves "real" tea, not that goofy herbal stuff made with tepid water from the coffee machine.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    How about a Petsmart? And a restaurant that serves "real" tea, not that goofy herbal stuff made with tepid water from the coffee machine.
    If you want a Petsmart, come to Warrendale! http://www.yelp.com/biz/petsmart-dearborn

I agree with Gnome. Go with what you know. Otherwise, frankly, you are much more likely to fail. I hate to be so blunt, but I have seen so many people go into business for the sake of "hey, wouldn't it be cool to go into business" and flop within a year or two. You have to use your passion, somehow. Otherwise, work for someone else for a little while in the field you might be going into, like an entrepreneurial internship. Try it on for size before risking capital.

As for an under-served need: I have heard from folks in Midtown/Downtown that a business like a "Geek Squad" would do gang-busters. Someone should open a mobile tech support business. The need is there, and no one is filling it.

Quote Originally Posted by ResurgetCineribus View Post
    A dojo that teaches Judo would be awesome, though maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.
    Not Judo but my friend says this is good: http://www.kungfudetroit.com/

Looks like the villages might have some Judo, although they don't have a proper website. http://www.fightingisyourfriend.com/...-judo-schools/

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ResurgetCineribus View Post
    http://www.shojinjudo.com/

Only Judo Dojo in Detroit that I know of. I recently started there and enjoy it. very small class sizes.

I would really like to see a place downtown that sells housewares. I'm talking dinner plates, silverware, bed sheets, shower curtains, can openers, trash cans, bath towels, cutlery sets, and spaghetti strainers, etc. You wouldn't believe how many times I've driven out to the suburbs just for such items. To top it off, I despise the Bed Bath & Beyond franchise. If you go this route, you would be the only store in a 20 square mile radius. And, if you carried items like light bulbs, dish soap, laundry detergent and dryer sheets, power cords, flashlights and batteries, vacuum bags, plastic bins, and scissors, you'd have a monopoly. There isn't any one store that carries basic home items anywhere near downtown, or Midtown, Corktown, Woodbridge, Lafayette Park, or E. Riverfront. Keep your store clean, offer a simple selection, with reasonable prices, announce your grand opening on Model D, this website, and hangout at all the local places and name drop your store constantly. Carry a few items that are made locally, and offer at least 3-4 high-end items from Europe that aren't offered at suburban chains- you can mark such items up considerably. This combination will keep the locals loyal and bring in a few outsiders looking to explore Detroit's "boutique" retailers. If you are friendly and maintain hours at least until 9PM, you will do well. Make sure you have a visible storefront with items in the window, go for the IKEA look- people like the appearance of modern, clean, and organized. Obviously, a high traffic area is best, one where you have regular commercial neighbors, like a coffee shop, popular restaurant, or busy office building. I'd suggest lower Woodward, near Comerica Park, perhaps by the Kresge Shops. Brow beat the landlord into the lowest rent possible like a 14th Century carpet salesman. Learn the names of your customers. Hire friendly employees. I have other ideas, but this is the one I think has the most potential. Good luck!

No. No it's not. The elements have seriously compromised the integrity of the cement and steel. And the environmental clean up would be considerable

For servicing areas with serious crime/shoplifting issues I pondered the idea of a grocery store where everything is behind a large "U" shaped glass counter and only commonly used food and household items would be stocked. Similar to a Deli, but on a much larger scale and offering a wider selection of items. An employee would pick up individual items as the customer moved along the counter and they would be scanned at that time to give the buyer a running total of their purchase. When busy, a paper numbering system could be used and the center of the store would suffice as a waiting area. Also for regular customers you could have an online service where orders could be placed in advance and available for pickup [[Or delivery) at a predetermined time.