Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Now that the Draft is over and done with I feel as though we can discuss this year’s picks somewhat rationally. Despite no free agency to help shape this team, I’m just going to comment on what I thought of the Mayhew/ Schwartz/ Lewand choices for the re-build of this team.

As stated earlier I really like the pick of Nick Fairley. It was a pleasant surprise because quite honestly I didn’t think a player of his caliber would drop down to us. I’m sure the brain trust was drooling seeing him still on the board- and quite frankly he was just too good to pass up. He, alongside Suh and some of the other young defensive linemen will give this team something to build upon for years to come. That being said, the VandenBosch acquisition for character, work ethic and mentoring can’t be so easily overlooked now. I can easily see VandenBosch taking charge of that line and molding them to being the premiere defense in the NFL, much less the NFC Central. Imagine those two stunting on some poor team’s offensive line; they’re going to be a handful. Some had even compared Fairley to Suh and to have the both of them on our team is going to be amazing next season [[or whenever they decide to play again).

Now I was in the car driving when I had heard the Lions picking Titus Young- a wide receiver for our second pick. I nearly swerved into oncoming traffic and yelled “Who?” in the same breath. I realized that it was all of my years of Millen torture had bubbled to the surface again. Hearing the Lions drafting a wide out early always scares me. But then I remembered a few years back when I had heard “With their next pick, the Detroit Lions pick Brandon Pettigrew”; I also spit and wondered “Who?”. Since then Brandon Pettigrew has turned out to be a pretty decent pick; he’s progressed well and I think will be within a whisker of making the Pro Bowl. But back to Titus Young- a wide receiver who played on the blue turf. I had never heard of this guy but knew of Boise State’s near dubious claim to the national championship so I knew he was at least a part of a national powerhouse. I still question the Lions’ need for a legitimate third receiver because I still like the two tight end formation [[and we have huge ones in Pettigrew and Scheffler) with any one of them breaking out to a flat to catch short yardage. But I do understand the logic of having a speed burner to the outside to compliment Calvin. As opposed to the short yardage gained from tossing to tight ends, we’ll definitely be able to go more vertical now. How this is going to impact Nate Burleson is going to be interesting- is he going to move to the slot? It could be interesting to see because he does have some size. I had also heard earlier that Titus Young could also spell Stefan Logan from doing double duty on kick and punt returns. I’m not completely sold on this pick just yet but then I wasn’t exactly sold on the Pettigrew pick years ago either. I hope that the Lions saw something in Young, caught lightning in a bottle and feel as though he can crack the line-up [[I hate seeing skill players taken this early and not starting).

Mikel Leshoure is hopefully going to be the back that Kevin Smith never could be. Being a Big Ten product I saw him play a few times and I think he’s going to be the thunder to Jahvid Best’s lightning. From what I could recall seeing, this is one guy that likes to run between the tackles. Short yardage bruising yards were his forte and I think this team needs some of that. I just hope that the offensive line can give him enough of a surge to run into though. Based upon the last few seasons I’m not one to believe that this line has the size, bulk & muscle to do that just yet, even with the addition of Rob Sims- they seem to pass protect much better than they can run block. Maybe somewhere down the line we can start getting players that can do so to go along with Leshoure & Best’s running skills. I’m not asking for a jumbo line just yet [[please no more Aaron Gibson or Juan Roque types). Having a potent run game will also help protect Stafford and keep the other teams’ defenses guessing.

Doug Hogue is a curious pick to me. He seems undersized to play linebacker so I’m curious didn’t draft him to be exclusively a back-up, a project or a special teams player. Yes, they addressed the issue of not having a better group there but is he the one to step in alongside DeAndre Levy to help that group out? Can this guy start ahead of Landon Johnson, Bobby Carpenter and some of the entrenched veterans? I’m not so sure for this year so not unless we really have faith in the group we have now [[I’m hesitant), we’ll be shopping for free agents at this position to start the season with.

Johnny Culbreath is obviously going to be a project. From what I’ve read he was talented enough to go to a much vaunted Florida State program and chose to go to South Carolina State instead. At 6’5”, 322- he’s no shrinking violet. Pro Football Weekly has him being the 47th best tackle in this year’s draft- well below some other tackles, but obviously Detroit saw something in this kid. Let’s hope he pans out somehow and somewhere down the line. We sure could use some sort of development for the offensive line; Backus isn’t getting any younger.

Other observations of this draft were that Mayhew stuck to his philosophy of drafting talent and not necessarily by need. I have faith in his early draft picks and they’ve seemed to have paid off so far. I can see Fairley in the rotation and Young stepping in immediately to being an every down receiver. Having not picked up a CB in this year’s Draft makes me wonder if we’re going to be in the deep pocketed bid for Nnamdi Asomugha. Having not signed Chris Houston still scares me. I’m so glad we didn’t jump on the Jimmy Smith tour [[good luck Baltimore!) nor the Da’Quan Bowers bus [[he admitted the day before the Draft that none of the teams he visited even took additional x-rays of his knee- maybe they already knew something ahead of time.

Bleacherreport.com has already graded the Lions an A+ for their early drafts. CBSSports.com’s Pete Prisco gives us a B- and questions the lack of defensive help with the early picks. Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com gave us an A- and would’ve gave us higher grades if we had more solid picks this year. So nationally we’ve somehow impressed the pundits with our picks.

So now that the hoopla over this new class is done, let’s get back to the nitty gritty and have the agreement in place to get some free agents. Let’s start shoring up this team with some additional needed talent and get it going between the chalk lines.

Great post smogboy ! Even though I may not like all of the picks the Lions made, at least I can see a plan with Mayhew that I didn't see with Millen. I can appreciate Mayhew drafting for talent and not necessarily for need. However its great when you can find that pick that brings both to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Great post smogboy ! Even though I may not like all of the picks the Lions made, at least I can see a plan with Mayhew that I didn't see with Millen. I can appreciate Mayhew drafting for talent and not necessarily for need. However its great when you can find that pick that brings both to the table.
    I don't agree with all of Mayhew's picks either but then it's not our 24/7 job to study ALL of these college players either. We don't have a staff of scouts going to games, talking to their coaches, and reviewing game tapes. None of us here have access to medical records nor have any of us here interviewed the players personally. I'm safe to say none of us here attended the Senior Bowl, the combines and/or any of the other showcase events for emerging college seniors.

But that's not to say that we don't and shouldn't have opinions about our team. We watch all the games with extreme interest. In those games we see where we've done well and we've seen weaknesses on our team that we wish management would shore up. I've heard a multitude of much more savvy pundits analyze our team. I've seen mock drafts and mock drafts and more mock drafts galore. They break down each player with their opinions and observations. The first and second round players they've done yeoman's work in breaking down their game. The players in the later rounds are a heckuva lot tougher to scout- not just for them but for us.

Needless to say, as staunch & knowledgeable fans as we may be- I'd much rather trust Martin Mayhew's judgement over any of ours. He's been pretty good so far. He's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that while he worked for Matt Millen, he's no Matt Millen [[thankfully so). His approach seems sound so far and he seems to have a vision when it comes to building this team. I hope for his sake and ours that his choices for this team pan out.

I have a car with bad brakes, no heater, bald tires and a leak in the radiator but I'm going to get the new eminem cd cuz my blaupunkt works fine.

One point five out of five and Mel Kiper tells us the Lions rocked a solid A. A? This is grade inflation.

We'll soon be remembering all those good Charles Rogers memories. An A? Orly? A this, right here ...

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I have a car with bad brakes, no heater, bald tires and a leak in the radiator but I'm going to get the new eminem cd cuz my blaupunkt works fine.

One point five out of five and Mel Kiper tells us the Lions rocked a solid A. A? This is grade inflation.

We'll soon be remembering all those good Charles Rogers memories. An A? Orly? A this, right here ...
    You forget that it was that jerk Millen that drafted Charles Rogers too. This is an entirely new crew steering the ship now. Just because the 2011 draft is done doesn't mean that this team is sitting on their hands waiting for the first snap. They've already indicated that free agency and possible trades will happen once the NFL lets them.

A third receiver, especially at the quality we got was a big need.
    And what really was a huge need for us was a running game. I think our running game was one of the biggest needs we had. Now we can use Best at whats he is great at and the new guy will fill a huge void. You cant win without a proven running game.
    Looking back now I think we may have been better off getting the RB on our 2nd pick and hoped the WR was still there at the 3rd round. I hate trading picks.

5 picks =
    2 full projects
    1 head case
    1 undersized fullback
    1 legit monster

5 picks =
    2 full projects
    1 head case
    1 undersized fullback
    1 legit monster
    So vague. So so vague.

We'll assume that you think that Fairley is the legit monster. Your "undersized fullback" [[Leshoure) is a running back- not a fullback. I haven't heard anything along the lines of where Best is going to be the RB to Lashoure's FB status. Who you were referring to as the "head case" I have no idea. And as far as labeling any late round draft pick a "full project"- don't all the teams drafting in the late rounds have this issue? Outside of the first few picks for all the teams- all of these young men are going to be projects. Were you expecting us or any other team to score a stud starter in the 4th or 5th rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    The players in the later rounds are a heckuva lot tougher to scout- not just for them but for us.
    Getting a guy out the later rounds to even stay on your team for more than three seasons is a shot in the dark, much less have them start. I think most teams are lucky to get a few special teams players out of that bunch.

I like the top three picks, which is all that will probably make any sort of an impact next year. They can now mark these positions as mostly complete: QB, RB, WR, TE, FB. That only leaves the line. If they feel Fox is really developing and can blossom into a solid guy, they're in pretty good shape.

On the defense, the line is amazing. DT and DE are good right now [[though, who knows with this GM and coach?!?). LB and CB are of concern, but let's think about this: Now that they've got arguably one of the best, if not THE best, lines, don't you think it will be a little easier for them to attract free agents at LB and CB that can contribute? You're a CB with offers from multiple teams, but here are the Lions who, with their line, are going to be sacking and pressuring the QB more than most teams. If I'm that CB, I see that as an opportunity for me to shine as I'll be able to stay more rested and not have as much pressure on me to make plays every time, which will allow me to shine when I am called upon to make a play.

Think about it this way, had free agency happened and they had already signed a LB and CB, the picks would look awesome. I still think that can happen.

Alright, you guys seem convinced, so I will set aside my 50+ years of mind numbing Lion draft choices and sip from the kool-aide fountain. Now, let us bow our heads, grasp hands in a loving circle of fandemonium, and pray that that shut-down corner from Oakland doesn't hurt himself while hauling steamer trunks of Ford cash up to his new Book-Cadillac condo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And as far as labeling any late round draft pick a "full project"- don't all the teams drafting in the late rounds have this issue? Outside of the first few picks for all the teams- all of these young men are going to be projects. Were you expecting us or any other team to score a stud starter in the 4th or 5th rounds?
    Right, they might be projects and you need to have projects because you never know when you might get that person who is like the undrafted free agent from Detroit Central Antonio Gates on your team.
    Last edited by firstandten; May-03-11 at 08:28 PM.

Wink Why the Lions will contend in 2011

The Detroit Lions have long been a pigskin piñata. Who didn't love taking swings at their soft, defeat-filled underbelly after every stupid move they made?
    Their long-term lack of success made it easy. Some Detroit fans reveled in the treatment, hoping the humiliation would someday cause the Lions to turn over a new leaf.
    Well, consider that leaf turned ... and not just because Detroit landed a stellar draft class last month.
    First, you need to know that Jim Schwartz's Lions turned a huge statistical corner during the 2010 season ... and they did it in spectacular fashion, too. And, yes, they may have turned another corner at the end of April 2011, with what appears to be a small but smart, talent-filled draft class that could make the Lions -- hold your breath here folks -- a contender in the top heavy NFC North in 2011.

ejames01, great article to read. Man, it's nice to see the Lions get some national pub for once that's positive. There ain't much happening in the football world now with the exception of a few of the Lions training together up at Country Day.

It makes me wonder how many other teams in the league are doing this and in such numbers. Call me happy slappy but it's nice to see some team building away from the Lions' facilities. It sure as hell can't hurt and it was really sweet to see a youngster like Titus Young come up and hang with the likes of Nate Burleson and Calvin Johnson. To be catching live passes from his future QB has got to endear him to his soon-to-be teammates too. Hearing how it all came about- VandenBosch getting on the email warpath just makes his acquisition last year that much better. He seriously shows balls and leadership by doing this. With this young team we need guys like VandenBosch to be the glue that holds them together as they mature.

oh maaaan! pigskin pinata, man that's great. I wonder how many Lions Pinata you could've sold during 0-16. Like hotcakes. At every tailgate, man cave and booby bar ... guys would line up and pay a few pesos to whack attack that thing.

oh maaaan! pigskin pinata, man that's great. I wonder how many Lions Pinata you could've sold during 0-16. Like hotcakes. At every tailgate, man cave and booby bar ... guys would line up and pay a few pesos to whack attack that thing.
    The only pigskin that I ever want to take a serious whack at would have to have Matt Millen's ugly face plastered on it. If there was a pinata with his mug on it, I'd go Miggy Cabrera yard on it with every single swing. I'd even be willing to pony up a few bucks to take a swing at that hideous thing.

Ideally it should've been the actual Matt Millen up there getting whacked but since he's getting fired from every third NFL job for not having credibility, it's tougher to do that now.

And is it wrong of me to still crave an apology from that creep? Doesn't he owe it to this fair area to admit he screwed up royally?

Thruster, Your posts are really good, and funny too.

And is it wrong of me to still crave an apology from that creep? Doesn't he owe it to this fair area to admit he screwed up royally?
    Well, I don't know about owing us, but I do take great pleasure every time I hear another "Matt Millen has been released from his duties" story...

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Well, I don't know about owing us, but I do take great pleasure every time I hear another "Matt Millen has been released from his duties" story...
    If nothing else, his tenure here proved that he was a phony in the front office. He might've been great as a player and even somewhat charming in the broadcast booth, but since then- he's been proven no better a football expert than my nephews who play NFL Madden on their Playstation.

Looking back at it, I'll even applaud old man Ford for thinking outside the box for a split sober second by hiring the chump, but once he imploded- his ass should've been shown the door ASAP. Instead he got rewarded for a five year contract. Regardless of what Millen was getting paid- it was a reward for being incompetent. A one year deal? Maybe. Two years was even a stretch, but five? If Millen had proven anything of being a solid front office guy I could almost see the glimmer of hope in that dope, but instead he made us even a bigger laughing stock in the league by his own actions [[calling Johnny Morton a fag, questioning players' hearts on the air, and other bouts of social constipation). It wasn't bad enough he drafted mopes like Charles Rogers & Mike Williams- he had the nerve to think somehow he was above it all.

And now validation to a certain degree, but it still doesn't help heal up some of those hideous years under that dope's rule. It really pushed some of us to the point of completely taking the big siesta from this team.

Looking back at it, I'll even applaud old man Ford for thinking outside the box for a split sober second by hiring the chump, but once he imploded- his ass should've been shown the door ASAP.
    That is one thing I've always found maddening about Ford; he won't acknowledge a mistake and waffles and vacillates for YEARS.

I never had a problem with the initial five year contract. Anything less than that would have been seen as half-a$$. But, the part that never made any sense was when he was re-upped for another five years. That extension was the worst contract. Not just by the Lions. Not just in the NFL. I'm talking out of all of them ever signed anywhere.

A nice Pure Michigan ad for the Lions. I agree 100%.

Enjoy but keep the volume down as there is some coarse language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJoR...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    That is one thing I've always found maddening about Ford; he won't acknowledge a mistake and waffles and vacillates for YEARS.
    Personally I could give a rats' backside if old man Ford wants to acknowledge a mistake. Just fix them.

His biggest fault is he's too damn loyal. He hung onto Russ Thomas like he had the combination to the family safe and he sure as hell hung onto Millen like he needed him for a spare kidney. There's a certain point when it just ain't about being loyal anymore- it's business, son. And when Millen's performance started seriously affecting the bottom line by scaring off loyal folk like us- it was time for him to go. We can accept the team losing and re-building within reason, but damn- we were tortured to the point of having to call in a Geneva Convention tribunal to save us from Millen.

That being said about the old goat, he's still a helluva lot better than Snyder in Washington and several heads & shoulders above Oakland/ Los Angeles' Al Davis. Both of those guys are head cases compared to Ford. For all the faults that Ford may have with the team, it could be a lot worse. Ask any fan of either one of those organizations and see how they feel about their futures.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I never had a problem with the initial five year contract. Anything less than that would have been seen as half-a$$. But, the part that never made any sense was when he was re-upped for another five years. That extension was the worst contract. Not just by the Lions. Not just in the NFL. I'm talking out of all of them ever signed anywhere.
    That second contract nearly broke me. Another half decade of validation and with a raise too if my pained memory recalls. That deal was about as big of a swindle as the purchase of Manhattan.

Personally I could give a rats' backside if old man Ford wants to acknowledge a mistake. Just fix them. .
    My bad. I should have wrote...."acknowledge and fix a mistake". Keyrist, did Millen have pics of Ford and a hooker stashed somewhere?
    But despite that, I think he's one of the better owners overall too.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast