Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default 2011 Detroit Lions

Well, the 2010 season is over and done with. With the four game winning streak behind our backs now, we move forward cautiously optimistic. Hopefully there won't be a lockout and we'll be able to discuss things such as the upcoming NFL draft, free agency, trades, and as the season unfolds- the individual games themselves.

Forward down the field then!

This is OUR Detroit Lions.

A fine opening post, SB.

With the Lions picking 13th, it might be a tad silly discussing who might be available by the time, but there are a ton of unrestricted free agents floating around.

One guy is Nnamdi Asomugha a All-Pro, shut-down cornerback from Oakland. He's 29, 6'2" 210 as has wings on his feet. By my lights, our biggest needs are at CB, followed by LB & OL.

The OL was fine against the pass last yr, but couldn't open a running lane all season. Part of that was due to turf toe for Jahved Best, but the other reason is we are getting old.

Should we be thinking about picking up a our missing pieces from the draft or the free agent market?

Also, I'm not understanding the issues related to this impending strike. Anyone have a non-biased source for understanding the issues involved?

I think we need a good mixture of rookie and old guys on the OL. But the OL must be looked at as well as MLB in this draft. Free agents for MLB would be good but I think building the OL in the draft is a better idea.

BTW, can the Lions please stop with the Gridiron Heroes song when a field goal is made? Really, can't we just keep that song for the touchdowns? Celebrating a field goal [[unless a game winner) is like celebrating for flushing the toilet.

A lot of these guys will be resigned by their current teams, but there is definitely a lot of talent available.

Team Name Postition Age

Denver Champ Bailey CB 33
    Carolina Ryan Kalil C 25
    Carolina James Anderson OLB 27
    Carolina Richard Marshall CB 26
    Buffalo Donte Whitner SS 25
    Arizona Steve Breaston WR 27
    Arizona Deuce Lutai OG 27
    Atlanta Jason Snelling RB 26
    Baltimore Dante Stallworth WR 29
    Chicago Pisa Tinoisamoa OLB 29
    Cincinatti Cedric Benson RB 27
    Cincinatti Jonathan Joseph CB 26
    Indianapolis Clint Session OLB 25
    Jacksonville Mike Sims-Walker WR 25
    Minnesota Chad Greenway OLB 27
    Minnesota Husain Abdullah SS 25
    New England Logan Mankins OG 28
    New England Jarrad Page SS 25
    New York Giants Steve Smith WR 25
    New York Jets David Harris ILB 26
    New York Jets Brodney Pool SS 26
    New York Jets Antonio Cromartie CB 26
    Oakland Raiders Michael Bush RB 26
    Oakland Raiders Stanford Routt CB 27
    Pittsburgh Steelers Lamarr Woodley OLB 25
    San Diego Chargers Eric Weddle SS 25
    San Francisco 49ers Brian Westbrook RB 30
    San Francisco 49ers Manny Lawson OLB 26
    Seattle Seahawks Kelly Jennings CB 27
    Tampa Bay Bucs Barrett Ruud ILB 27
    Tampa Bay Bucs Quincy Black OLB 26
    Tennessee Titans Stephen Tulloch ILB 26

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    A fine opening post, SB.
    Better yet- thank you all for a lively intelligent discussion about our team in Honolulu Blue & Silver!

With the Lions picking 13th, it might be a tad silly discussing who might be available by the time, but there are a ton of unrestricted free agents floating around.

One guy is Nnamdi Asomugha a All-Pro, shut-down cornerback from Oakland. He's 29, 6'2" 210 as has wings on his feet. By my lights, our biggest needs are at CB, followed by LB & OL.
    My only fear of getting him is his cost. What's he going to cost this team? I see he's a stud and in the prime of his career but this guy could also want a long term, guaranteed sort of money too- and are the Lions in a position to do that with so many high draft picks in the fold commanding top dollar. Between Johnson, Stafford and Suh- we've committed a lot of money to those guys already. We could be getting a little too top heavy with salary and without knowing what the salary cap is- it could be fiscally dangerous.

The top side to getting someone like that would be too obvious. He'd literally cut the field in half to defend. From what I've seen, he's also not afraid to stick his nose in there defend the run either. I wish we knew what the salary cap is going to be in the years to come.

It might be a long shot to get him, but it's worth a shot. Winning our last four games and even with the team's performance all season- the buzz around the league is that we're definitely an improved team on the rise. Maybe this is enough to entice Asomugha to take a second look here and cash might not be his only incentive.

The OL was fine against the pass last yr, but couldn't open a running lane all season. Part of that was due to turf toe for Jahved Best, but the other reason is we are getting old.

Should we be thinking about picking up a our missing pieces from the draft or the free agent market?
    I saw the offensive line improve on the run on two fronts. One was with just playing together more and gelling and the other was having a decisive running back hitting the hole faster. I thought the running game got remarkably better when we had Maurice Morris and Stefan Logan hitting the gap faster. I see Jahvid Best doing what most quick college backs try to do- and that's to dance around waiting for a better gap to appear. While that might work fine in college, this is the NFL where the guys on the line are much faster and have better technique at grabbing the ball carrier. When Best heals, he has to realize that he has to be that much more decisive when hitting that crease. Those openings are there and they close up quick. I remember Kevin Smith doing the same his rookie year too; they'd try to dance and juke and would get caught. Morris and Logan [[whom one could hardly see in the trees) made quicker attacks to that line and things happened.

I also think having a quick release QB like Stafford in the mix will also improve the offensive line's effectiveness as well. His speed in getting the ball out there with a two or three step drop will freeze up the oncoming defenders.

And credit Linehan for utilizing dink & dunk QBs like Hill & Stanton for spreading the ball out to the tight ends. Pettigrew, Scheffler and Heller were integral to the offensive line and back-up QBs' success.

As far as where to get depth? I wouldn't care if Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz found them bagging groceries or wherever. I think they'll be opportunistic with the waiver wires [[Stefan Logan and Alphonso Smith were steals) and they'll draft the best player available. I'd like to see how this Jason Fox develops once he packs on some more NFL muscle. I personally like Corey Hilliard as the depth guy for Gosder Cherilus and the right tackle position too and he's only a fourth year player. We have some depth there but one can never have too much depth on the offensive line. I can easily see the Lions trying to get a offensive lineman to develop in the 4th or 5th round.

Also, I'm not understanding the issues related to this impending strike. Anyone have a non-biased source for understanding the issues involved?
    It's more of an owners' lockout. From what little I do understand of it all, it's that the owners want a rookie salary cap [[which blows my mind about Stanford's Andrew Luck deciding to stay in school for another year- that noble decision could've cost him tens of millions) and aren't happy with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. There are SO many things on the table [[16 or 18 game season, TV revenue sharing, licensing revenues, etc.) that it's not just one issue. Both sides need to come to the table and hammer out a decision soon. And if they don't- it's not necessarily the owners & players that will hurt the most, but all of the peripheral businesses that are maintained because of their proximity to the NFL game.

I know our coach says that wins don't carry over to the next season, and thats true as far as the standings go. But having a winning attitude is big. My hope is that this carries over and no matter who puts on the Honolulu blue and silver jersey, they become a stud. Just like the Wings have been doing for years now.

SBN, I think Hilliard did a better job that Cherilus and that might have helped with the run. Logan was a threat due to his speed, where Best has lost his speed factor due to the turf foes. I expect Best to do what Logan did in the latter half of the year.

As for the CBA, it is an owners lock-out but from everything I have read the players are pissed at the salaries of rookies as well. I dont think there will be a lock-out. The owners would lose too much money and they would have to re-negotiate their contracts with the networks..too much trouble in my opinion.
    Going to 18 games would give the players that much more money because that is a potential of two more sell-outs where the 2 exhibition games would get you 20,000 people.

The players aren't going to get any extra money for playing an extra game. Their salary is for the season, not for a game. It does piss me off because I would have to pay for 4 more tickets in my season ticket package.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    SBN, I think Hilliard did a better job that Cherilus and that might have helped with the run. Logan was a threat due to his speed, where Best has lost his speed factor due to the turf foes. I expect Best to do what Logan did in the latter half of the year.

As for the CBA, it is an owners lock-out but from everything I have read the players are pissed at the salaries of rookies as well. I dont think there will be a lock-out. The owners would lose too much money and they would have to re-negotiate their contracts with the networks..too much trouble in my opinion.
    Going to 18 games would give the players that much more money because that is a potential of two more sell-outs where the 2 exhibition games would get you 20,000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    The players aren't going to get any extra money for playing an extra game. Their salary is for the season, not for a game. It does piss me off because I would have to pay for 4 more tickets in my season ticket package.
    If I understand the 18 game regular season would mean a 2 game pre season.

Today you have to pay for 8 reg games and 2 preseason. Under the new way it would be 9 reg and 1 pre season and the price per ticket is the same for regular and pre season. So this is better for season ticket holders.

I didn't realize that I have to buy preseason games. What a bunch of crap. No wonder their website is so vague.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    If I understand the 18 game regular season would mean a 2 game pre season.

Today you have to pay for 8 reg games and 2 preseason. Under the new way it would be 9 reg and 1 pre season and the price per ticket is the same for regular and pre season. So this is better for season ticket holders.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Hmmm... my jury's still out for the 18 game season. Don't get me wrong, as a football fan I'd love to see two more additional meaningful games in the season, but I'm wondering if I were to be a player- is this something I'd want. It's tough enough playing a sixteen game season already.

I wonder if some of the veterans might balk at this idea because usually in the four game pre-season, they have a slightly lighter load. For some pre-season games, they're barely in there for more than a series. Would the addition of two more hard fought, for real games shorten a player's career? I know that the fan base would come out in droves and financially it's got to be better for the owners, but would that also reflect in players' salaries going up?

It's definitely something to mull over because I'm conflicted about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I know our coach says that wins don't carry over to the next season, and thats true as far as the standings go. But having a winning attitude is big. My hope is that this carries over and no matter who puts on the Honolulu blue and silver jersey, they become a stud. Just like the Wings have been doing for years now.
    I think the perception of winning will most definitely enhance a team's likelihood of attracting other free agents. For some of the veterans who've performed well and have never had a shot at winning it all, going to a team with the perception of winning it all might actually trump the amount of cash a lesser team might offer. That's what I personally hope that the Lions have done by winning their last few games. Sure, we lose out a few spots in the NFL Draft order but that cachet of being known as an up and coming team just might attract proven players as opposed to untested players.

The buzz around the league is that Schwartz is a bright guy and we've got a nucleus of solid young talent. If I were an older player that still has a few more years left and the situation doesn't look as though it's going to improve any time soon in the current situation, I'd seriously consider coming to Detroit. If I were an older defensive lineman, who wouldn't want to play alongside Suh? Nate Burleson came here and knew playing opposite Calvin Johnson, he was going to get his touches.

Our Lions aren't looking too shabby and for once might actually look like a destination to play again. We left the dance and still had some heads turning our way; it's not a bad feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    For some of the veterans who've performed well and have never had a shot at winning it all, going to a team with the perception of winning it all might actually trump the amount of cash a lesser team might offer.
    You are refering to the Lions? Our Detroit Lions? Who would have thunk it.
    We arent there yet and I dont see to many guys with a couple years left deciding Detroits the place to play for a championship.
    Maybe after next year, we shall see

On ESPN the two self annointed experts did a mock draft [[1st rnd)
    One had us drafting UCLA OLB Akeem Ayers, a sideline to sideline threat..
    The other had us drafting OT Nate Solder from Colorado.
    Defense Defense Defense

Until Stafford can prove otherwise, the china doll label is true. And Julius Peppers is the proverbial bull/bear in the china shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Until Stafford can prove otherwise, the china doll label is true. And Julius Peppers is the proverbial bull/bear in the china shop.
    Follett being a team mate still should've chose better words to describe Stafford's situation. There were a billion ways to say the same thing without the negative connotation. If Stafford wanted to be a total d-bag, he could've easily fired back at Follett's neck situation.

And then blaming it on Satan? HUH?

Granted, it appears as though the Pain Train has jumped the tracks; however, I'm not at all convinced Zack said that Mr. Satan forced him to throw out the China Doll slam. I watched his vimeo vid a few times and what he said was that he used a poor choice of words, but those words were used by Mr. Satan to incite hatred against him.

He took responsiblity for calling our Chinadoll a China Doll, but that those words were taken out of context by Mr. Satan's minions.

Crazy? Maybe. Confused? Absolutely.

In Follet's self-educated understanding of the bible, he believes that the little vices in people's lives: the 7 Deadly Sins are not choices people make, not enviromentally determined, but acts of Satan.

Follow me here. For example, gluttony, is a sin of consumption; of eating more than is healthy. If the body is created by God, then eating so much that your heart stops is an act of defiling God's work. In Zak's world being morbidly obese is an example of Satan's handiwork and not an enviromental result of living in the Land of Supersize Fries; the land where cheap foods are funded by Government handouts and policies, while healthy foods can only be afforded by the wealthy.

Now that I think about it, maybe Follet ain't that wrong. Venal men do Satan's bidding by lining their pockets, thereby creating a generation of superized people ...

I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

What Follet said is true, based on the past two years. He knows it, we know it, the coaches know it, but more importantly, Stafford knows it. He knows that he has barely played and that it seems that every time his shoulder touches the turf that he's injured.

But, I honestly think, if you look at it in context, that Follet was just stating what he saw. He wasn't ripping Stafford. He wasn't saying that Stafford can't overcome this. He was just stating what everybody knew.

I'm not defending Follet for what he said. It was stupid and never should have been said because he should have known that the proverbial brown stuff would soon hit the fan. With the Lions trying to build themselves as a cohesive team without big showmanship or big controversy, this was as unnecessary as they come.

Still, I think Follet meant no ill will, he just got carried away, he's young and he hasn't learned that sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut. I think he just got a hard lesson in that.

In the end, none of this will matter. Stafford knows that next season he has to come back, play with gusto, and that his shoulders better damn well hold up. He doesn't need Zach Follet to tell him any of that, so as far as I'm concerned, this was meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I'm not defending Follet for what he said. It was stupid and never should have been said because he should have known that the proverbial brown stuff would soon hit the fan. With the Lions trying to build themselves as a cohesive team without big showmanship or big controversy, this was as unnecessary as they come.

Still, I think Follet meant no ill will, he just got carried away, he's young and he hasn't learned that sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut. I think he just got a hard lesson in that.
    AMEN Brother! In light of this team trying to build some sort of team mentality, Zach didn't do his QB or his team any favors. So let's hush on this and let it fall away.

I could care less what Follett said re:the china doll comment. It was his weird and disturbed rant that followed his initial apology that bothered me. That was not a normal person speaking there, someone very unstable. Perhaps his career ending injury has him in this state of mind. I hope him the best in the future.

Granted he was pretty out there, but unless his personal beliefs affect his play on the field - or affect locker room cohesion - I don't care if he thinks Satan himself is wearing the opposing jersey.

If you check out his vimeo videos, you can see some of his other views on his faith; again, not my cup of tea, but I believe the world is a big place and all views are welcomed.

Congrats to our very own Ndamukong Suh for sweeping home some hardware.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011020...text|FRONTPAGE

Not only did he win NFL.com but the AP's award as well. I can't remember where I read it but he credits a lot of his fellow line mates [[as he should) and surprisingly he also credits team mate, Dominic Raiola for helping him along as well.

Found it. Jerry Green article on Ndamukong Suh:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...ions--optimism

Suh was talking the other day about how the Lion's beat the Packers, a team that is now in the Superbowl. Some on sports talk radio said that beating the Pack doesn't mean anything. I kinda think it does. That was a big game for the Packers that they needed to catch Chicago. Sure, Rogers only played half the game, but when he was in he was ineffective against the Lion's defense. And our best QB didn't play at all. I think beating a team that went to the Superbowl says a lot. Would like to hear my fellow Lion's fans thoughts on this.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast