Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit's profile grows as investors, young professionals return to city

By STEVE NEAVLING
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Some called them crazy.

But as outsiders declared Detroit all but dead, a passionate network of nonprofits, local developers, small-business owners, universities and hospitals poured cash and sweat into culturally rich areas that are emerging stronger and more popular than before the brutal economic downturn.

Hotels, theaters, art galleries, charter schools, condos and dozens of restaurants have opened, primarily in abandoned buildings, in the past year or are to open this year in the Midtown, New Center and Woodbridge neighborhoods.
    "We are onto something great in this city," Detroit artist and muralist Jennifer Quigley said. "People who want art and culture are gravitating here."

The revitalization is being driven by generous grants, new state tax credits and more investor confidence in the city's ability to attract young professionals, art enthusiasts and others, said Sue Mosey, president of the University Cultural Center Association, a nonprofit community group based in Midtown.

At least seven major condo and apartment projects -- most in ornate, restored historic buildings -- are planned to begin this year to meet an increasing demand for housing.

Vibrant Detroit enclaves, investment attract newcomers to city

Their friends and family gasped at the news.

You're moving to Detroit? Are you crazy?

A year ago, Blake Vanier and Rachel Perschetz, both 29, vacationed in the Motor City out of curiosity. Instead of finding the dangerous wasteland often depicted on TV and in the national media, the best friends discovered a city with friendly people, eclectic hangouts and great potential.

Enamored by the city, Vanier, who works in finance, moved from New York City to a loft in Midtown near Wayne State University in mid-October with a new job. A few weeks later, Perschetz joined him from Washington, D.C., to continue working as a real estate consultant.

They are considering opening a bar or restaurant in Midtown in the near future.
    "In New York or D.C., you feel insignificant," Perschetz said, sipping a beer at a bar near her loft. "But here, we bump into nice people. It's a very uncomplicated existence."

Community collaboration

Powerhouse institutions -- WSU, the Henry Ford Health System, the Detroit Medical Center and the College for Creative Studies -- are joining forces and building schools, condos and commercial space for restaurants, coffeehouses and specialty shops.

Last year, for example, foundations spent $125 million to $250 million to spur development, more than anyone can remember.

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...te=fullarticle

What an amazingly upbeat and positive article

I am looking at bringing a business there and the help on the state level is nothing but positive support,excellent incentives, tax breaks that even carry on down to the potential employees to help ease their tax pains at the local level . Win win on both ends kinda rare to find these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am looking at bringing a business there and the help on the state level is nothing but positive support,excellent incentives, tax breaks that even carry on down to the potential employees to help ease their tax pains at the local level . Win win on both ends kinda rare to find these days.
    Richard, I am new to this forum and a wannabe Detroiter. I am contemplating a transition out of higher education administration into ... running a small neighborhood cafe in Detroit. I don't live in MI yet, and so I try to find resources to aid my transition through online forums and some contacts I have made in Detroit. If you would be willing to share some of the information you have found about the incentives and tax breaks, I would greatly appreciate it!

Best of luck with your venture as well!
    Karen

Hi Karen

When I posted that in Jan it was a different climate for the scope of what I am doing when it comes to incentives etc. But I believe for what you are doing now would be an excellent time as the push is for small business verses large employment generators.

I think that this forum would be a big help for you verses others as the wealth of input and positive knowledge is hard to beat elsewhere when searching for locations etc.

Once you find where your potential location is going to be look for neighborhood groups for support and guidance then whoever covers that district on the city council as far as the city level you kinda have to sort through the workers until you find the one that is actually willing to help.I wish I could be more help but I think if you post what you are wanting to do the peeps here can help a lot when you are afar. I can give you the cell number of a contact state level for incentive programs at that level and you will find out quick if you can get help there ,but the local level will provide you with the best scenario.

Good Luck Hopefully I can add your establishment to my list of places to visit in the future.
    Richard

Thank you Richard! I'm planning to open a garden cafe along the East Jefferson corridor. I have a couple connections there I need to follow up with.

Karen