Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Church on Woodward and 7 mile

What is the status of that huge church on Woodward and 7mile road? This building has been under construction for a while, but seems like all work has stopped and no progress has been made?? I've tried to attach a map link but couldn't. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit187 View Post
    What is the status of that huge church on Woodward and 7mile road? This building has been under construction for a while, but seems like all work has stopped and no progress has been made?? I've tried to attach a map link but couldn't. Thanks

That's Marvin Winans church. He chose that spot after a strip club beat him to some land on eight mile [[which is what started his entire bogus crusade in the first place). He then attempted to shake down the strip clubs for money and had received enough to continue construction. But then a new Council came on board that wasn't as beholden to the preachers as the former council was and that was that.
    Last edited by kraig; January-10-11 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    I thought maybe the hold up had something to do with Marvin and Vickie Winans divorce.
    Nah, you know preachers don't use their own money. Besides, that divorce was at least 10 tears ago.

Who's money do they use?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    Who's money do they use?
    Church Members. And if you're the Swendel Anthony type, the members of the NAACP and the stadium construction companies [[who are victims of pay to play) as well.

Since I do not participate in organized religion I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

kraig obviously has an unbiased view on churches and religion...

Quote Originally Posted by StubbyStone View Post
    kraig obviously has an unbiased view on churches and religion...
    And just where did you see my view on churches and religion in my posts?

LodgeDodger Guest

The building needs to be closed up and secured. It's an eyesore.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit187 View Post

I believe you're talking about the Tyvek Tabernacle Church, so named becuase of the acres of Tyvek wrap that cover the unfinished building.

lilpup Guest

Construction on that stopped a couple of years ago. I believe it was a combination of a land dispute [[a section they thought they owned was in question) and funding drying up.

It's the End of the World!!!

Revelations: 3: 2: Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God.