Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gratiot and 6 Mile & C hurch Security

I just back from a wedding in Detroit, and my cousin had the wedding at a church on Gratiot just north of McNichols.

I have always heard that this area is one of the worst in the city? Is this still true or have things calmed down?

Also I noticed at the Church that they had security guards stationed in the parking lot. Is that normal for a church service? Is crime an issue at the Churches during services[[as in cars being broken into)?

Could you be talking about Assumption Grotto? Natitivy of our Lord on Gratiot and McClenan has security and a fenced in parking lot. It's a shame when you have to worry about your safety going to church but i think it safe to say, there is more than a few that have the same situtation.

Quote Originally Posted by miketoronto1 View Post
    I just back from a wedding in Detroit, and my cousin had the wedding at a church on Gratiot just north of McNichols.

I have always heard that this area is one of the worst in the city? Is this still true or have things calmed down?

Also I noticed at the Church that they had security guards stationed in the parking lot. Is that normal for a church service? Is crime an issue at the Churches during services[[as in cars being broken into)?
    One of the realities of attending a Mass, wedding, or festival in one of Detroit's historical and ornate churches is the issue of security. Many of the parishes provide fenced in parking and/or security [[some with parish volunteers). I'm guessing the wedding you attended was at Assumption Grotto [[The Parish history goes back to the mid 1800s). Sadly, if you were to look at a map/chart of Detroit crime statistics or simply take a cruise of the surrounding blight, you will notice what you heard of the 6 Mile/Gratiot area may be true.

It's fairly common for churches...especially churches with large congregations to have security guards and a fenced in parking lot. Not just at that particular location but in most areas throughout Detroit and suburbs. There is a huge church in Detroit [[which will remain nameless) that has a security guard just for the pastor's car.

detroitjim Guest

Congratulations on escaping with your life! Lucky you made it to the opposite side of the creek.

That area is no worse, than just aboot any other area ,here in the bowels.

It is not like I was scared. I have been to that area a number of times. I was just wondering as I have never seen security guards at a church parking lot before.

Most of the Churches in Detroit that can afford it have a private security guard during mass or bible study. Others have volunteer parishoners who watch over the lot while the rest of the congregation is inside.

In many neighborhoods, particularly Core City [[which runs roughly along Buchanan between 12th and 30th Street) in recent months, have experienced increased crime against homes during Church hours

sad stuff.

I have caught the bus in that area probably hundreds of times, and from that experience I would say it's not a particularly bad part of the city. As others have mentioned, all over the city it's common for churches - if they can afford it - to provide guards for the parking lot.

NorthEndere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    I have caught the bus in that area probably hundreds of times, and from that experience I would say it's not a particularly bad part of the city.
    Statistically, that just isn't true. In a city of bad crime, the northeast has some of the most in raw numbres. In fact, the area [[Osborn in particular) caught the local attention of the media back in October when the County Sheriff decided dedicated to the area five deputies because of its high crime rates.

BTW, maybe just coincidentally, it's also one of the more intact areas of the city, physically, and one that the Next Detroit Intiative described as one of the only neighborhoods in the city to see growth over the decade [[11%) because of a high concentration of children. I've heard that relatively recently, though, maybe in the last three-four years the neighborhood has been particularly hit by the overall economic decline.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; January-10-11 at 03:31 AM.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    I have caught the bus in that area probably hundreds of times, and from that experience I would say it's not a particularly bad part of the city. As others have mentioned, all over the city it's common for churches - if they can afford it - to provide guards for the parking lot.

It is a good thing you weren't around there a few months ago, then, when a guy on a bike opened fire on people waiting at the bus stop.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2010/09/...t-at-bus-stop/

In a city with more than it's share of bad areas, that is a particularly bad area.

All churches don't live by the sword and shield of man but by the sword and sheild of God's word.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    All churches don't live by the sword and shield of man but by the sword and sheild of God's word.
    Danny, I sort of enjoyed that statement, very interesting wording, sort of poetic.

Miketoronto: I attend church in Detroit frequently. I would say more than half of the churches I attend have a guard posted to watch out for trouble. Very sad but that's life in the Motor City. A neighbor of mine around 1993 had her car stolen once from St. Matthew's in Detroit and broken into at the same church another time.

Unfortunately, it's a sign of the times where literally & figuratively, nothing is sacred, not even a church or its members & their property. I went to a Christmas party last month at Sts Peter & Paul in Warrendale. Ordinarily, they do have security for parish events. However, the church hall was being used by a private group hosting the party, & security wasn't provided. Four members of the group had their vehicles broken into. Fortunately, nothing was taken from the cars. They were just damaged, but still the owners have to get their cars fixed during the holidays as this party was held the Saturday before Christmas.

gdogslim Guest

There is actually a lot of people that go to that church from many areas outside of Detroit.

Here in Florida, we have had some of the local orcs conduct armed robberies of the churchgoers in the church during the service.