Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Here's proof that the government can't deny permits or licenses without justification

http://www.freep.com/article/2011010...of-coal-permit

We've had discussions on this forum from strip clubs to international bridges were this issue has come up.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011010...of-coal-permit

We've had discussions on this forum from strip clubs to international bridges were this issue has come up.
    Your point being?

I think it's right those permits were denied. Why build plants when there's no demand for it? Why build white elephants on the taxpayers' expense? Here in the Netherlands they are building a lot of coalplants, and I can't figure out why. It seems there will be a lot more energy produced than there's demand for it. We're going to be the stain of Europe with those coalplants. There are two being build in the port area of Rotterdam, three in Delfzijl at the northern coast of the Netherlands. And I can't figure out why....

We in the Netherlands have the luxury of living above the biggest gas bubble in all of Europe. It's been supplying gas for over 50 years now. It's the cork on which out economy is based and also the nail in the coffin of the Dutch coal mining. The last mine closed almost 40 years ago. Still we import large quantities....

The arguments by the power companies have no merit. They are public utilities and when they waste money on plants that are not needed, it's the rate payers who are on the hook for decades to pay for these unneeded plants. As long as they enjoy a government-dictated monopoly, the power companies need to follow the rules.