Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: J.T. Wing

Default J.T. Wing

Hey everyone, After hearing some great stories from my grandpa I like to try and find photos of the J.T. Wing undergoing reconstruction before its move to Belle Isle as the Dossin Museum. My grandpa recalled it being moored in the slip at the foot of west grand blvd next o a fire station in what is now riverside park. The stories included running around the partially rebuilt boat as well as diving for quarters into the mouth of the river outside of the slip. The story went that him and his friends would would bet people that they could get the quarter before it hit the water by running and diving in. Maybe a tall tale but I'd be interested to hear if others recalled the boat and sharing any photos. Ive of course already checked the Burton Historical collection online as well as WSU. I know my grandpa got some old photos from the Dossin museum.

check out:

http://boatnerd.com/

use their search engine, I'm sure you'll find something.