Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Shorpy / Delray Salt Company

Delray, Michigan, circa 1905. "Delray Salt Company." 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Publishing Company.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/9671

I used to feel rumbling under my feet from the salt mine, and boy could that noon whistle blow!!!

This photo in NOT a photo of the shaft salt mine operations thats been operating for years. This company aquired the salt by drilling wells and pumping in water and then pumping the water and dissolved salt back up to the surface and then separating the salt from the water in what were called blocks. There were numerous salt wells in the downriver area including those operated by PennSalt, Wyandotte chemical, and Michigan Alkali[[later Wyandotte Chem). The salt wells downriver were the forerunners of the chemical industry in Michigan here and other areas of the state.