Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Buying vacant lots in corktown? Experiences?

I looking to buy a house on the edge of Corktown, has anyone had recent experience trying to buy vacant lots next to your home or business? I heard that people are having trouble being able to buy lots next to them because the city doesn't want to let go of anything because of possible development... is this true? Can you still find ways to buy lots? Any experiences welcome.

The last thing I heard on this matter is that the City puts priority on selling lots that have homes on them so buying VACANT City-owned lots can be slow. It also depends on how long the property has been in the City's inventory. If it was recently acquired by the City, it may take some time before it is recorded properly in its inventory & prepared for sale. The reason I was told for the delay is -- not enough staff and TOO many tax foreclosures.

Nonetheless, take a trip to the Planning & Development Department's Welcome Center at Cadillac Place downtown if you know it's a City-owned property. IF you have any problems, contact the Ombudsman's Office.

I tried to buy a lot in Corktown about 5 years ago. What I found was that most of them are privately owned. [[at least in the historic district) A lot of people are either speculating or have former 'parking lot's that they are holding onto for the future. A fair share are owned by GCDC and lord knows where the title to those are now.

Ownership can be found at the city tax record website
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...3/Default.aspx

I talked to a couple independent owners but they were asking for about double what they are worth on the market.

Also fyi, if the lot was used as a parking lot, there might be some additional environmental clean up costs associated with new construction.

I personally ended up buying a rehab and am quite happy with it, love this neighborhood.

That all being said I'd love for infill housing to be built and increase density.

An acquaintance of mine was looking at a house on 14th between Martin Luther King and Michigan. He was also wanting to buy some empty lots next door. Would that be considered corktown?

Ordinary: That neighborhood is called North Corktown.

Thanks Preserve.

Ask Matty, he owns plenty of vacant lots in the area.

1 Corktown

1 corktown? You don't think there is north and regular corktown?? Why would you say that?

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitriseup View Post
    I looking to buy a house on the edge of Corktown, has anyone had recent experience trying to buy vacant lots next to your home or business? I heard that people are having trouble being able to buy lots next to them because the city doesn't want to let go of anything because of possible development... is this true? Can you still find ways to buy lots? Any experiences welcome.
    Depends on how badly you want it. To get one of the city workers off their ass and to make them actually do something is a feat in and of itself. I bought two lots off the city and it was the biggest pain in the ass. Be prepared to make a ton of phone calls and don't get frustrated. I had a secretary who had speaker phone so that helped a bit.

good luck

Edit to add: I actually owned the property adjacent to the lot so that made it easier. I can't even imagine the process I f I didn't own the parcel next to the one I purchased.

I own a house that I rent out on the Eastside...the house next door was demolished by the City..I went to the Register of Deeds office in Greektown to see who owned the property...they said the City owned it...they verified that I owned the adjacent property and told me to go to 111 Cadillac Square and take a money order or cashier's check for $200.00 with me. I did. A few weeks later I got the ownership papers. The only thing I had to do was keep the grass cut, the lot clean, and the snow shoveled, otherwise they charge you $250.00 if they come out and do it. I don't know if the price is different if you don't own adjacent property. But the people at the Register of Deeds office will give you a print out of the entire block that you are interested in and tell you who owns the vacant lots.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    I own a house that I rent out on the Eastside...the house next door was demolished by the City..I went to the Register of Deeds office in Greektown to see who owned the property...they said the City owned it...they verified that I owned the adjacent property and told me to go to 111 Cadillac Square and take a money order or cashier's check for $200.00 with me. I did. A few weeks later I got the ownership papers. The only thing I had to do was keep the grass cut, the lot clean, and the snow shoveled, otherwise they charge you $250.00 if they come out and do it. I don't know if the price is different if you don't own adjacent property. But the people at the Register of Deeds office will give you a print out of the entire block that you are interested in and tell you who owns the vacant lots.
    When was that? Things must have changed dramatically since I bought my lots---2005 2006. If that's the case then good for the city.
    Btw--my lots were also small by no means were they huge parcels

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    When was that? Things must have changed dramatically since I bought my lots---2005 2006. If that's the case then good for the city.
    Btw--my lots were also small by no means were they huge parcels
    I bought it in 2009. The lot I bought is small too. But I plan to donate my house and the lot to Habitat For Humanity so they can build a house on it. They told me that they need at least a lot and a half to build.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    I bought it in 2009. The lot I bought is small too. But I plan to donate my house and the lot to Habitat For Humanity so they can build a house on it. They told me that they need at least a lot and a half to build.
    My lot was 60 x 120 and I would imagine during your time period of purchase everyone, including the City Government, knows that vacant plots in the city are basically worthless. During 2006 they still thought there was actual value to vacant plots of land.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    My lot was 60 x 120 and I would imagine during your time period of purchase everyone, including the City Government, knows that vacant plots in the city are basically worthless. During 2006 they still thought there was actual value to vacant plots of land.
    That's true but I'm not trying to make any money from my house or the lot. That's why I'm donating both. Habitat for Humanity has already built about 30 houses on the street. It's the street I grew up on. I haven't lived there since 1968. When my parents left the house to me I decided to join in on the beatification of the neighborhood and even though the house I grew up in is going to be torn down I'm happy about what's going to replace it.