Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default Crazier and crazier-- Congresswoman and others shot

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-g...ry?id=12571452

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head at point-blank rang today outside a Tucson, Ariz., grocery store where she was holding a campaign event, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

Giffords was among as many as 12 people reportedly wounded in the shooting, and according to Congressional sources, several people on the Deomcrat's staff were among the wounded. She was taken to University Medical Center, where a hospital spokesman confirmed she was alive. But the extent and seriousness of her injuries were not being released.

The gunman, said to be a man in his late teens or early 20s, was tackled by bystanders and is said to be in custody.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; January-08-11 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added quote from story plus info from another story

This is terrible news. This will have terrible consequences for all of us. We need to do our talking at the ballot box and not through bloodshed. This is totally inexcusable.

I am afraid this is what comes of intemperate hate talk. We will have to wait and see if the gunman talks motive.

Just because it is constitutionally legal to say something doesn't mean saying it is a good and responsible thing to do.

I'm not surprised one bit.

It isn't clear that she has died:

An earlier report from National Public Radio said Giffords had died.
    "She is currently in surgery. She's alive," University Medical Center spokeswoman Darci Slaten told Reuters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110108/..._congresswoman

More right wing terrorism. When will Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and John Bohner apologize and do something to stop what they have started?

And now ignorant, hateful, politicians, talk show hosts, lobbyists and assorted nut cases who precipitated this situation will back off long enough to cover their own asses until the media furor dies down. Then they'll begin doing and saying the same things, over and over again. And they'll propose terrorism charges and the death penalty for shooting a politican and/or a member of a political party or congress, as they ignore gun and hate problems that plague our citizenry as a whole, on a day to day basis. But they'll cover and protect their own asses. It's all about the political elite.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    More right wing terrorism. When will Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and John Bohner apologize and do something to stop what they have started?
    They will never stop it. It's about authoritarianism and power. Nothing else. Money is only important to them as long as it keeps them in power.

Some people are already attempting to make this out to be some sort of on isolated incident. She just won a close and heated election against a tea party candidate. Someone was pissed at something. I doubt the shooter was a "fringe" character.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Politics are politics, and crazed, murderous shootings are another thing, entirely.
    If a CEO of a large business, or a right-wing loudmouth such as Rush Limbaugh, is thusly blasted, will you then apologize, or will you maintain that you were just expressing your beliefs and therefore not culpable for the mayhem?

Hopefully Rep. Giffords and the surviving victims are able to pull through .

The following is from the NPR.org main page:
    by Ken Rudin

In this era of instant information and 24/7 Tweeting, it is understandable that news about today's shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords [[D-Ariz.) after an event in Tucson spread like wildfire.

What is also unsurprising, but regrettable, is that everyone is ascribing a motive for the shooting without any credible information.
    The Internet and the Twitterworld have been filled with speculation on why she was shot: that she was too liberal and was shot by a Tea Party conservative. Or that she was too moderate and shot by someone on the left.
    All we know is that the shooter is under custody. No statement has been released, no motive revealed. Self-anointed "journalists" should keep such opinions to themselves until we know more.

Default Congresswoman Giffords - Tponetom

A few random thoughts about the shooting of Congresswoman Giffords.

We had just sat down for Lunch. 12:30 pm. I turned on the TV for the local news..
    The first chilling word that came to mind, was ‘deja’vu’, Kennedy!
    Gazhekwe: If you are reading this, you may recall my words, “ Everything that goes around, comes around.”
    When it happens around the world, it is a very sad occasion.
    When it happens in our own background, something happens in the pit of my stomach.
    You see the helicopters and the EM vehicles on TV, in the shopping center where the shooting took place. 6 dead and 8 wounded, although not confirmed , as of this moment, regarding casualties. It will vary.

Tucson is a Democratic stronghold. Giffords, a Democrat, was a shoo in for re-election.
    Oracle Road and Ina Road, where the shooting took place, would be synonymous with Woodward and Six Mile.
    2:05 pm. At this moment, conflicting reports keep coming in. The Head of Surgery in the Hospital, made the statement that Giffords was shot in the head, through and through, and surgery was completed. She is in ICU. Too early for any prognosis.

If this really is political, Sharon "Second Amendment Remedies" Angle will have a statement to make. That ought to be interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_511433.html

Looks like Giffords was one of Palin's gunsight targets.

It's time to "build a wall" around Arizona, and give it back to Mexico.

Ravine Guest

ORF, don't get me wrong. I bear no malice toward you, and you & I are "on the same side," as re: much of this political/social stuff.
    A) I view Sarah Palin as being the leading candidate for "Most Abhorrent Figure in American Politics,"
    and
    B) I do believe that persons-- most certainly those who, through personal position or elected office, have access to [[for want of a better term) "a broad listening audience"-- who speak & write the language of hate & intolerance bear some fractional responsibility, indirect as it may be, for acts like this one. "Contributing to a climate of," as they say.

So, I hear what you're saying, and I think you have a point, there. I just feel that the "gun-wielding maniac" type is usually motivated by inner, bent-up drives, and extremist politicians, while they should think about the "with great power comes great responsibility" POV, should not be singled out for blame, at moments such as this one; doing so doesn't do any good, for anybody, and it contributes to keeping a cycle of animus & social destruction going.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=385x541594

Film clip of the Congresswoman in March of last year after her office in AZ was attacked.

Ravine Guest

Hey, thanks, Pam, for the very timely delivery of that link.

I am so sad for all involved ... God Bless all of them.. But I feel the following need to understand their roles.

A. There is not enough mental health centers: we all bare responsibility for this tragic circumstance...those who bear most are those who cut budgets for these clinics...

B. Hate filled rhetoric filling the airways and enraging unstabl epeople without hope or who are angry ...listen to these shows as if they are getting their marching orders,,,old people and young whose lives are filled with angst... they hear [[left or right)..mostly rigt if you listen to Fox's we are number one... but it is a dnagerous mix & exploitation of people...

C. Sarah Palin, and the likes... placing targets on congressional democrats,, encouraging follows to water the tree o fliberty and people coming to rallies with automatic weapns

D. People turning guine discussion into hate I have to be right ...I have mine you get yours...

E. The climate the Gov of AZ has created in her state.

Chuck La Chez Guest

The assassin is 22yrs. old. It's sad that someone so young with so much potential ahead of them could feel so hopeless to resort to such an act.

Hinckley was only 26. Both of them so young and facing an awful economy. I wonder if that's the connection.
    Last edited by Chuck La Chez; January-08-11 at 06:36 PM.

The Tuscon Tea Party "chapter" is already covering its back by releasing a statement. It is highly doubtful that they are saddened.

http://www.tucsonteaparty.org/

Chuck La Chez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The Tuscon Tea Party "chapter" is already covering its back by releasing a statement. It is highly doubtful that they are saddened.
    The assassinations cast suspicion on them and it doesn't change the political values of the district. I can't see them being anything but sad. It's a mess for them.

I am sorry but how many of them applauded when Sarah [[Queen Tea)... drew up that map... I am trying not to generalize... I know all Tea Part members are not responsible... but how many didnt protest the target posters...

Loughner's YouTube Channel

It's pretty nutty. Mind control, new currencies, government-controlled grammar, etc.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast